Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assign OVH IP to VM on Hetzner dedicated?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Assign OVH IP to VM on Hetzner dedicated?

brejskibrejski Member

Hi guys!
I have a dedicated server at SYS with lots of IPs that I don't use. I would like to use themon my Proxmox VMs (currently behind NAT) installed on Hetzner dedicated server.
I read some posts here where providers (and not only) wrote they are using GRE Tunneling. I took a look at Google how to set it up, but I did not find a clear instruction how to do so.

Example of what I want to reach (I am not sure if this is possible):
SYS server has free IP 51.68.X.211/32
my VM has only LAN IP: 192.168.240.13/16
And I want to assign this IP 51.68.X.211 to my VM in LAN as a secondary IP to bypass my Reverse Proxy and make it pingable

Does anyone of you have any step-by-step manual how to set up GRE Tunnel and assign for example OVH IPv4 to Hetzner VM (or whole /28 subnet to hypervisor and I can setup DHCP)?

Comments

• jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited April 2022

We are on the same idea, https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/178888/need-some-help-on-setting-up-gre-tunnel-with-pve-7
    I think where my mistake is, I need to attach the additional IP to the OVH node first.
    Will do some further testing and report back to you.

Thanked by 1brejski
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

Hello!
    First of all, you can't use / 32 blocks unless you NAT over them (this includes having a tunnel for each IP address).
    The /28 block can be routed and only one IP address is lost, but be very careful with the limitations because if you want to download / upload files that exceed a few tens of megabytes then you will fully enjoy the limitations of OVH.
    Best regards, Florin.

Thanked by 2jason5545 ariq01
  • @FlorinMarian said:
    Hello!
    First of all, you can't use / 32 blocks unless you NAT over them (this includes having a tunnel for each IP address).
    The /28 block can be routed and only one IP address is lost, but be very careful with the limitations because if you want to download / upload files that exceed a few tens of megabytes then you will fully enjoy the limitations of OVH.
    Best regards, Florin.

So what you mean is, if i attach my OVH ip to my servers, it's still not Ideal for hosting services with the ip, for example, I plan to host NextCloud through proxmox on my dedi with OVH ip, is that Ideal? Or not?
    Thanks

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2022

@jason5545 said:

@FlorinMarian said:
    Hello!
    Best regards, Florin.

So what you mean is, if i attach my OVH ip to my servers, it's still not Ideal for hosting services with the ip, for example, I plan to host NextCloud through proxmox on my dedi with OVH ip, is that Ideal? Or not?
    Thanks

If you plan to store big amount of data it is not affordable.
    I have one GAME-3 with 1Gbps instead of 250Mbps (on SyS) and I had issues even with OVH FR - OVH DE (also with OVH DE - Hetzner with ping 4ms).
    Best regards, Florin.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • First, set up a tunnel using GRE or wireguard or something else.
    Second, on your OVH machine, run "ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 via 10.1.1.1 dev wg0"
    Third, on your Hetzner machine, add the assigned subnet, and remember to set default route accordingly.

• @FlorinMarian said:

@jason5545 said:

@FlorinMarian said:
    Hello!
    Best regards, Florin.

Thanks

I have one GAME-3 with 1Gbps instead of 250Mbps (on SyS) and I had issues even with OVH FR - OVH DE (also with OVH DE - Hetzner with ping 4ms).
    Best regards, Florin.

I guess I will have to give up on this concept, thanks.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • @FlorinMarian said:
    Hello!
    Best regards, Florin.

I’m using /32 single IPs from an OVH box on VMs elsewhere just fine? No NAT just Wireguard

• @FlorinMarian said:
    Best regards, Florin.

Lower bandwidth will not be a problem. Hetzner IP will be NATed to storage VM. 250Mbit cap is ok for CapRover I want to host and some other stuff.

• vingohostvingohost Member, Host Rep

Use IPIP tunnel.

Thanked by 1brejski
  • brejskibrejski Member

@vingohost said:
    Use IPIP tunnel.

Thanks. Will take a look :smiley: