Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί [Low End Detectives!] My credit card charge might have been declined! Did that really happen?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Low End Detectives!] My credit card charge might have been declined! Did that really happen?

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Friendly greetings Low End Detectives!

Yesterday I tried ordering a server from a Provider here. The amount of the order was a bit over $100. The Provider's website said that my credit card was declined.

My bank's website initially showed the charge as pending. Then the charge was removed by a second transaction.

The bank sent me the same-as-usual email confirmations which it always sends for successful credit card transactions.

I can understand why my credit card charges might be declined. After all, there is absolutely no way ever that a guy from New York City actually could be visiting in lovely Sonora, Mexico! πŸ—½πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸœοΈ

Never before have I seen the combination of a credit card charge appearing as pending plus being told the charge was declined plus having the charge removed by a second transaction.

I have seen transactions in small amounts appear and then get reversed by a second transaction in the context of verification for ACH and wire transfers. But only in regular bank checking accounts, not credit cards.

So, Detectives, do we know whether the bank actually declined the charge or whether the Provider might have declined the charge despite the charge having been accepted as pending by the bank?

Best wishes and kindest regards!

Tom

P.S. Having a guy from NYC visiting here might be as rare as a visit from a tiger!

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Hello and welcome to the bank hotline, please hold while we connect you to one of our agents.

Thanked by 3BlaZe Alireza dedicados
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Hola, este es Ernesto, tu agente de confianza.

Le asisto hoy. El sistema marca que fue una deteccion de fraudes por parte de su proveedor. Le sugiero llame y hable con ellos.

fue un placer asistirle.

LET agent #Juan

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited April 2022

I had before on one of my cards wasn't paying for hosting,the payment got declined on the site but shown as pending on my credit card but got reversed about 10 mins later, not sure want caused it as declines doesn't normally show up on the account.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • emghemgh Member

@Razza said:
    I had before one of my cards wasn't paying for hosting,the payment got declined on the site but shown as pending on my credit card but reversed about 10 mins, not want caused it as declined doesn't normally show up on the account.

Thanks, now there's no need to contact the issuer.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Never before have I seen the combination of a credit card charge appearing as pending plus being told the charge was declined plus having the charge removed by a second transaction.

Blocked payment due to provider fraud ruleset. Immediate refund = Pending charge, will disappear from your online banking in 1-2 days.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Welcome to LET P. I. - you have come the right place, if you are looking for answers, but we will have to charge you in advance, your credit card might get declined again.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited April 2022

@MikeA said: Blocked payment due to provider fraud ruleset.

That seems an ineffective way to do it , should the anti-fraud rules not get run before the card is charged saying that I don't take payments so not sure how it works in the backend.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • zedzed Member

I'm going to need your bank, cc, & personal details to investigate this properly. Waiting on pm.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • emghemgh Member

fr13ndly 6r3371n65 l0w 3nd d373c71v35!

y3573rd4y 1 7r13d 0rd3r1n6 4 53rv3r fr0m 4 pr0v1d3r h3r3. 7h3 4m0un7 0f 7h3 0rd3r w45 4 b17 0v3r $100. 7h3 pr0v1d3r'5 w3b5173 541d 7h47 my cr3d17 c4rd w45 d3cl1n3d.

my b4nk'5 w3b5173 1n1714lly 5h0w3d 7h3 ch4r63 45 p3nd1n6. 7h3n 7h3 ch4r63 w45 r3m0v3d by 4 53c0nd 7r4n54c710n.

7h3 b4nk 53n7 m3 7h3 54m3-45-u5u4l 3m41l c0nf1rm4710n5 wh1ch 17 4lw4y5 53nd5 f0r 5ucc355ful cr3d17 c4rd 7r4n54c710n5.

1 c4n und3r574nd why my cr3d17 c4rd ch4r635 m16h7 b3 d3cl1n3d. 4f73r 4ll, 7h3r3 15 4b50lu73ly n0 w4y 3v3r 7h47 4 6uy fr0m n3w y0rk c17y 4c7u4lly c0uld b3 v15171n6 1n l0v3ly 50n0r4, m3x1c0! πŸ—½πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸœοΈ

never before have i 533nth3c0mb1n47i0n0facred17c4rdchar6eapp34r1n645 p3nd1ngplu5b31n6t0ld7h3 ch4rg3w45 d3clin3d plu5hav1ng7h3ch4r63rem0v3dby4 53c0nd 7r4n54ct10n
    1hav3533n7r4nsact1on51n5m4ll4m0un754pp34r4ndth3n637 r3v3r5edby45ec0nd7r4n54ct10nin7h3c0n73x70fver1f1c4t10nf0r 4ch4ndw1r37ran5fer5 bu7 0nly 1nr36ul4r b4nkch3ck1n64cc0un75n07cr3d1tc4rd5

50,d373ct1v35 do w3kn0wwh37h3r th3 b4nk4ctu4llydecl1n3d7h3ch4r63 0rwh37her7h3pr0vid3rm16h7h4v3 d3cl1n3d 7h3ch4r63 d35p173th3ch4r63h4v1n6be3nacc3p73d45p3nd1n6 by7h3bank?b35twi5h3s4nd kind357r364rd5!
    70mp5h4ving a6uy fr0mnycv151t1n6her3mi6h7 b345r4r345 4v15i7fr0m47i63r

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@emgh said: fr13ndly 6r3371n65 l0w 3nd d373c71v35!

You strokin' out, bro?

@Not_Oles said: After all, there is absolutely no way ever that a guy from New York City actually could be visiting in lovely Sonora, Mexico!

Bank may say OK, but provider still has to evaluate risk. And your transaction is higher-risk: you're coming from a location far from your registered address. Which is more likely:

(1) your account was hacked or card stolen
    (2) you're a travelling New Yorker who decided to order a VPS thousands of miles from home

(2) may be the truth but I'm sure (1) happens a lot more often.

I was once blocked while ordering a VPS while on vacation (I'm a weird (2) as well). A ticket to the provider sorted it out.

Just an unfortunate consequence of either our wicked world or our poor financial system or both.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • emghemgh Member

@raindog308 said: You strokin' out, bro?

>

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@emgh said: @raindog308 said: You strokin' out, bro?

Fun fact: Clarence Carter had multiple hits, and he claims that the profits from each one went to a different wife. When he wrote Strokin' (a trashy but popular late-night-dance-club hit in the 80s), he wasn't married and kept all the loot and that was largely been his income,

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@raindog308 said: Clarence Carter

who dat

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:

Blocked payment due to provider fraud ruleset. Immediate refund = Pending charge, will disappear from your online banking in 1-2 days.

Thanks! That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

@raindog308 said: (I'm a weird (2) as well)

Hehe. :)

@MikeA said: Immediate refund = Pending charge

Does the Provider lose money? Because the Provider might receive the payment amount less fees, but the full payment amount might be deducted for the refund?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Not_Oles said:
    Does the Provider lose money? Because the Provider might receive the payment amount less fees, but the full payment amount might be deducted for the refund?

Beats the alternative in many cases.

@Razza said:
    I had before on one of my cards wasn't paying for hosting,the payment got declined on the site but shown as pending on my credit card but got reversed about 10 mins later, not sure want caused it as declines doesn't normally show up on the account.

For example via Stripe. If card address verification fails (card address doesn't match WHMCS address = reject/refund). I have a few rules in place that I know for sure prevented a large amount of potential abusive users or future chargebacks. It's the reason I put them in place. In my case, my rules almost never affect legitimate users.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@MikeA said: Stripe

FWIW, I've never had a problem paying with Stripe any time I've tried from Mexico.

@Razza said:

Yeah, this seems the same as what happened to me, although, for me, I was trying to rent a server.

• emghemgh Member

@Not_Oles said:

@MikeA said: Stripe

FWIW, I've never had a problem paying with Stripe any time I've tried from Mexico.

@Razza said:

Yeah, this seems the same as what happened to me, although, for me, I was trying to rent a server.

With every single ounch of respect I could possibly show: why not ask the issuer instead of LET?

Thanked by 2adly Erisa

@Razza said: That seems an ineffective way to do it , should the anti-fraud rules not get run before the card is charged saying that I don't take payments so not sure how it works in the backend.

If the payment doesn't succeed the provider probably never wants the sale.

If the payment does succeed, maybe the provider wants the sale, and maybe not. I guess this might be why some providers might run tests after the payment succeeds and not before.

@emgh said: With every single ounch of respect I could possibly show: why not ask the issuer instead of LET?

Hi @emgh!

I wondered about the experiences of other folks here. So I asked here. @raindog308, @MikeA, and @Razza gave me helpful information.

The issuing bank probably would have difficulty giving me information about the experiences of people here.

Asking here certainly doesn't preclude also asking the bank. The ladies and gentlemen at the bank are very helpful and polite.

Friendly greetings from Sonora! <3

• Your debt has been doubled.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Category abuse, this should be in off-topic.

Thanked by 1JeDaYoshi