Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP Extended Support - what exactly is this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP Extended Support - what exactly is this?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I came across this on the IONOS web site and...wait a sec, do companies really think these hick spokespeople work? I guess they must. Anyway:

"PHP Extended Support

Keep using older PHP versions with PHP Extended Support from IONOS. Versions 4.0, 5.2, 5.4, 5.6, 7, 7.1 and 7.2 are all supported, saving you the hassle of upgrading."

In their help desk article they say "As part of the PHP Extended Support, IONOS security experts ensure that security vulnerabilities affecting older PHP versions continue to be closed. Your PHP projects and scripts will remain protected from attacks until you decide to switch to a current PHP version. Maintaining the old PHP versions means an increased administration effort on our systems. We charge you a monthly fee for this additional service."

I notice Dreamhost offers this too.

On the one hand, these are big companies (e.g., IONOS, according Wikipedia: 2K employees, 8 million customers) and "paying for legacy support" is common. On the other hand, we're talking about a publicly-exposed massive attack surface and the skeptic in me think this is less "we have independently security-audited legacy PHP versions and back-ported fixes" and more "we'll install old crap and charge you extra and if you get hacked, oh well".

Comments

• emghemgh Member

php 4.0, thx

Thanked by 1vovler
  • ThundasThundas Member
    edited April 2022

@raindog308 said:
    I came across this on the IONOS web site and...wait a sec, do companies really think these hick spokespeople work? I guess they must. Anyway:

"PHP Extended Support

Keep using older PHP versions with PHP Extended Support from IONOS. Versions 4.0, 5.2, 5.4, 5.6, 7, 7.1 and 7.2 are all supported, saving you the hassle of upgrading."

In their help desk article they say "As part of the PHP Extended Support, IONOS security experts ensure that security vulnerabilities affecting older PHP versions continue to be closed. Your PHP projects and scripts will remain protected from attacks until you decide to switch to a current PHP version. Maintaining the old PHP versions means an increased administration effort on our systems. We charge you a monthly fee for this additional service."

On the one hand, these are big companies (e.g., IONOS, according Wikipedia: 2K employees, 8 million customers) and "paying for legacy support" is common. On the other hand, we're talking about a publicly-exposed massive attack surface and the skeptic in me think this is less "we have independently security-audited legacy PHP versions and back-ported fixes" and more "we'll install old crap and charge you extra and if you get hacked, oh well".

I think its this. https://www.cloudlinux.com/features/#hardened-php

EDIT- I might be wrong though after reading it a little.

Thanked by 2kkrajk webcraft
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Ahfaiahkid said:

@raindog308 said:

"PHP Extended Support

I think its this. https://www.cloudlinux.com/features/#hardened-php

EDIT- I might be wrong though after reading it a little.

I'd say it's CloudLinux, yes.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

It's hard to guarantee security when you don't staff Zend's development team on these matters. The likelihood of exploiting something in the VM is far harder to prove than to disprove the attack originated in stagnant code.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • devpdevp Member
    edited April 2022

These prilimary service operations are managed devops.

Application have to updated and mantained by customers.

• There's no way they're patching security holes in PHP 4.0.

They probably use a web application firewall and write rules for exploits that can be detected based on the request headers or body, similar to how Cloudflare didn't used to let you write cat /etc/passwd on this forum.

Even then, they'd only be doing reactive protection rather than proactive.

• @raindog308 said:

"PHP Extended Support

Sounds like Cloudlinux to be honest

• Were there any serious widespread vulnerabilities intrinsic to PHP itself? I mean, most exploitation can be attributed to crappy configuration or piss-poor app development practices, and that is something you can shoot yourself in the foot with even in the latest version.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 2022

The only reason for me paying for Cloudlinux on my main servers.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • Don't bother. Always use upstream supported releases - https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

I have seen open source code where they fix security holes with "fix typo" as commit message. No CVE attached. Developers are lazy. I wonder how Cloud Linux keeps up with the PHP codebase? Do they read each commit? Recently, PHP had a bus factor of probably 2 or 3. nikic (Nikita Popov) who worked for JetBrains and worked on PHP source code resigned and joined the LLVM project. Then Jetbrains panicked and started a PHP foundation - https://blog.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/2021/11/the-php-foundation/

The JIT engine is maintained by Dmitry Stogov (bus factor 1? not sure) There were some interviews before where some PHP maintainers (sara golemon?) said laughingly - "no one really understands most of Dmitry's code since it is too low level and complex and only he knows what he's doing".

Last year, around March 2021 - PHP official git server (self hosted) was hacked and backdoor was added - https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/c730aa26bd52829a49f2ad284b181b7e82a68d7d#diff-a35f2ee9e1d2d3983a3270ee10ec70bf86349c53febdeabdf104f88cb2167961R370

nikic found this and reverted it https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/2b0f239b211c7544ebc7a4cd2c977a5b7a11ed8a?branch=2b0f239b211c7544ebc7a4cd2c977a5b7a11ed8a&diff=unified#diff-a35f2ee9e1d2d3983a3270ee10ec70bf86349c53febdeabdf104f88cb2167961R368-R370

The PHP core devs had to check every commit for that timespan lmao and then they moved all the repos from the self hosted git instance to github.com to avoid any future potential shitshow.

Luckily the foundation is healthy? and everything seems to be running fine now - https://opencollective.com/phpfoundation

Thanked by 3bulbasaur adly Daniel15
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2022

@Daniel15 said:
    There's no way they're patching security holes in PHP 4.0.

They probably use a web application firewall and write rules for exploits that can be detected based on the request headers or body, similar to how Cloudflare didn't used to let you write cat /etc/passwd on this forum.

Even then, they'd only be doing reactive protection rather than proactive.

You still can’t write that*:

In theory, though, you could bypass it by setting a variable:

temp=“passwd”; cat /etc/$temp
    cat /etc/`echo passwd`

(or however you choose to hide the string)

Edit: I think it depends whether or not you’ve embedded it into a sentence (not sure)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308

Oh well, just yet another way to generate profit (or to keep the customers). No way too dirty to make money!

• It's like accessing IPMI over old versions, eventually nobody has the IE or java available to even login or hack your shit. Security through obsolescence?

• @TimboJones said: Security through obsolescence

This is why I keep my most private documents on a tape on a Commodore 64.