Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I understand that the VDS I bought is not a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I understand that the VDS I bought is not a VPS?

utfutf Member

Hello, I bought a VDS from an unknown website. When I install Windows to vds and connect remotely, the Vmware software is running on the computer. Does this mean VPS?

Thanked by 1dev077

Comments

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Hi,
    please don't buy services from unknown websites.

Thanks.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@utf said:
    Hello, I bought a VDS from an unknown website. When I install Windows to vds and connect remotely, the Vmware software is running on the computer. Does this mean VPS?

Yes, if it's a VDS, then it's a VPS

But perhaps you could tell us which unknown website

Congrats on your first discussion

Thanked by 1utf
  • reliablevps_usreliablevps_us Member, Patron Provider

What is the difference between a VPS and VDS?
    A VPS Virtual Private Server is a fully isolated hosting environment that is given a resources quota (such as RAM or CPU) that is NOT Fully Dedicated.

A VDS Virtual Dedicated Server is a fully isolated hosting environment that is given a resources quota (such as RAM or CPU) that is 100% Fully Dedicated.

Thanked by 1utf
  • They're the same thing, just marketing lingo.

VPS = Virtual Private Server
    VDS = Virtual Dedicated Server

a VPS could utilise KVM virtualisation, which is essentially a "VDS" as it's dedicated, allocated resources vs something shared like OpenVZ.

Thanked by 1utf
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited April 2022

@reliablevps_us said: A VDS Virtual Dedicated Server is a fully isolated hosting environment that is given a resources quota (such as RAM or CPU) that is 100% Fully Dedicated.

Only if you are not using Eastern Europe provider - they call VPS a VDS and it has nothing to do with 'dedicated' :D Same thing for them.

Thanked by 1utf
  • VoidVoid Member

@utf said:

To check, mine crypto on it and see if your “VDS” disappears.

• utfutf Member

@angstrom said:

@utf said:

Yes, if it's a VDS, then it's a VPS

But perhaps you could tell us which unknown website

Congrats on your first discussion

Thanks. I bought this from a local provider, which is very little known even in my country. What do you mean by saying "Yes, if it's a VDS, then it's a VPS". I'm new at this. I couldn't understand.

@reliablevps_us said: A VPS Virtual Private Server is a fully isolated hosting environment that is given a resources quota (such as RAM or CPU) that is NOT Fully Dedicated.

A VDS Virtual Dedicated Server is a fully isolated hosting environment that is given a resources quota (such as RAM or CPU) that is 100% Fully Dedicated.

I've been thinking like you said. So if I buy a vds, is it normal to have vmware tools installed in it?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2022

Why wouldn't it have virtualization tools installed? Or why do you mind? In either of your two options, the V is still present, i.e. it is virtualized in any case -- not "bare metal" hardware, not a dedicated server.

And as others said above, the meaning of "VDS" varies per hoster and geography, mostly means nothing, and is a more outdated term meaning the same thing as VPS.

Thanked by 1utf
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@utf said: What do you mean by saying "Yes, if it's a VDS, then it's a VPS". I'm new at this. I couldn't understand.

You said that you bought a VDS, and your question was whether your VDS is a VPS.

My answer was that if you bought a VDS, then yes, your VDS is a VPS.

Thanked by 1utf
  • utfutf Member

@rm_ said: Why wouldn't it have virtualization tools installed? Or why do you mind? In either of your two options, the V is still present, i.e. it is virtualized in any case -- not "bare metal" hardware, not a dedicated server.

And as others said above, the meaning of "VDS" varies per hoster and geography, mostly means nothing, and is a more outdated term meaning the same thing as VPS.

Yes it's not "bare metal" but I thought it was virtualized from a higher level. Actually I don't know the technical part and I'm new to this stuff. In the comments above, someone said the difference between VDS and VPS, but as far as I understand, they both mean the same thing in practice.

@angstrom said: You said that you bought a VDS, and your question was whether your VDS is a VPS.

My answer was that if you bought a VDS, then yes, your VDS is a VPS.

Okay thanks. As I get as you say it is just marketing lingo.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • vedranvedran Veteran

VDS is also a VPS. VPS is not necessarily a VDS.

• @utf said:
    Yes it's not "bare metal" but I thought it was virtualized from a higher level. Actually I don't know the technical part and I'm new to this stuff. In the comments above, someone said the difference between VDS and VPS, but as far as I understand, they both mean the same thing in practice.

Have you heard of an unknown website called "Google"?

Okay thanks. As I get as you say it is just marketing lingo.

Vedran posted the correct response before me.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited April 2022

@dbContext said:
    They're the same thing, just marketing lingo.

a VPS could utilise KVM virtualisation, which is essentially a "VDS" as it's dedicated, allocated resources vs something shared like OpenVZ.

No, KVM doesnt mean dedicated at all.
    You can overcommit everything including RAM via KVM balooning or even make a big swap on host system and use it as RAM on virtual machines (SSDNodes does this).
    These kind of "pro-KVM" myths were made by KVM providers.
    Both OpenVZ and KVM can be overcommited/oversold or dedicated.
    Its all up to provider.
    VDS can also be oversold and in most cases is, just not that much as some VPSes.

VPS = Everything is shared, you cant use 100% CPU for longer period of time (check your provider ToS, they should specify it)
    VDS = Everything is shared, but you can use 100% CPU 24/7. IO/disk is still limited in most cases, you cant use it 100% 24/7.

VDS are just VPSes with less neighbors. There are still there, they still can affect your performance (CPU too) as host kernel dynamically allocates resources, CPU has turbo boost and prefered cores.

Pretty much nobody allocates fixed cores just for one VDS. Tbh I cant name at least one that does it. On Ryzen's you can check core-to-core latency and if it ever fluctuates it means it switched to another physical CCX/group of cores.

Keep in mind that there are no standards for naming. VPS could have dedicated CPU, VDS could have shared CPU (plenty of Russian providers do it).
    Its just a name. Only provider matters. If they are shit, then products are shit.

Thanked by 2Void ankursharma8715
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited April 2022

Install and run virt-what from repo and come back with result.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2022

@AXYZE said: VPS = Everything is shared, you cant use 100% CPU
    VDS = Everything is shared, but you can use 100% CPU 24/7
    VDS are just VPSes with less neighbors

It's really not as reliable as that. You still need to double-check with each and every provider, if that's indeed the case that they understand "VDS" as this. Because so many of them will just use VDS as a synonym for VPS, not even having a single thought to provide any of the guarantees that you mention.

If you want a clear and useful distinction, better just abandon looking for "VDS" and look for dedicated CPU core VPS instead. *

* but then you fall into another rabbit hole of what is a core, and can vCore (a HT/SMT thread) be considered a dedicated CPU core...

• utfutf Member

@TimboJones said: Have you heard of an unknown website called "Google"?

>
    Yes. I searched for this question, the answers I found on google confused me. I did not get a clear answer and opened this post. Isn't this website a forum?

@farsighter said:
    Install and run virt-what from repo and come back with result.

The VPS/VDS is running on windows. I cannot run this command, but I got the following information with the SYSTEMINFO command.

OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
    OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
    System Manufacturer: VMware, Inc.
    System Model: VMware Virtual Platform
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
    Total Physical Memory: 1.023 MB
    Available Physical Memory: 345 MB
    Virtual Memory: Max Size: 3.198 MB
    Virtual Memory: Available: 1.203 MB
    Virtual Memory: In Use: 1.995 MB
    Hyper-V Requirements: A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.

CPU: E5-2697

• @utf said:

@TimboJones said: Have you heard of an unknown website called "Google"?

>
    Yes. I searched for this question, the answers I found on google confused me. I did not get a clear answer and opened this post. Isn't this website a forum?

So you were still confused after reading Google results (oh boy) but proceeded to buy and then go to forum after to ask basic question that Google totally gives sufficient results for. Smart!

• utfutf Member

@TimboJones said: So you were still confused after reading Google results (oh boy)

Yes, if you search the question on google most answer says there are major differences between vds and vps.
    E.d. Some google answers:
    https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-vps-and-vds/
    http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/software-technology/difference-between-vds-and-vps/

@TimboJones said: but proceeded to buy

Before I buy, I were thinking that VPS is sharing same hardware. E.d. When I buy vps that has 1 GB ram, If everyone tries to use it at the same time, everybody will get 200 mb per person, but if a few people are not using the ram at that moment, I can get 600-700 mb ram. I was thinking the same thing applies to the processor. And I was thinking that I will only use 2.5 ghz processor and 1 gb ram on vds. But I've learned both are the same thing. -_- I was wrong.

@TimboJones said: go to forum after to ask basic question that Google totally gives sufficient results for. Smart!

When I saw that vmware software was installed in it after purchasing, I thought I might be wrong and opened this topic to the forum.

• @AXYZE said:

@dbContext said:
    They're the same thing, just marketing lingo.

No, KVM doesnt mean dedicated at all.
    You can overcommit everything including RAM via KVM balooning or even make a big swap on host system and use it as RAM on virtual machines (SSDNodes does this).
    These kind of "pro-KVM" myths were made by KVM providers.
    Both OpenVZ and KVM can be overcommited/oversold or dedicated.
    Its all up to provider.
    VDS can also be oversold and in most cases is, just not that much as some VPSes.

VPS = Everything is shared, you cant use 100% CPU for longer period of time (check your provider ToS, they should specify it)
    VDS = Everything is shared, but you can use 100% CPU 24/7. IO/disk is still limited in most cases, you cant use it 100% 24/7.

VDS are just VPSes with less neighbors. There are still there, they still can affect your performance (CPU too) as host kernel dynamically allocates resources, CPU has turbo boost and prefered cores.

Pretty much nobody allocates fixed cores just for one VDS. Tbh I cant name at least one that does it. On Ryzen's you can check core-to-core latency and if it ever fluctuates it means it switched to another physical CCX/group of cores.

Keep in mind that there are no standards for naming. VPS could have dedicated CPU, VDS could have shared CPU (plenty of Russian providers do it).
    Its just a name. Only provider matters. If they are shit, then products are shit.

That's definitely a clearly picture of the servers... better go with a dedicated one with hard metals for more customization and reliability.