Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't try to enable IPMI by your own with a old BMC firmware
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Don't try to enable IPMI by your own with a old BMC firmware

jason5545jason5545 Member
edited April 2022 in General

I made a post before about @Dedispec 's KVM over IP situation, after I posted, some fellows, give me an idea that I can enable IPMI on my own, so I give it a try, and kind of activated successfully, why I said kind of?

Because everything works except iKVM. After I tested, I decided to detach the BMC from my IP, and here is where I encountered a problem, no matter what setting I use, it always returned "LAN Parameter Data does not match! Write may have failed." error, after some digging, some say is because of the old BMC firmware causing a bug that prevents from changing the settings, upgrade the firmware can fix the issue. but I had no courage to do it, I'm worried about if the upgrade failed will cause more serious issues. So I decided to create a ticket asking for help.
At first, they tell me to hook up KVM and go to the BIOS and try to reset on my own. After that, they update the ticket with:

Actually, if you would like, I can attempt to use ipmitools SSD we have to try and clear this but it may take longer to do, so your box will be down longer, your call.

I've tried setting the IPs to a 172.16.x.x range, I have tried resetting BIOS to optimized defaults and none of these have worked. so the above is probably the only option...

So even them can't reset it in the normal way, they decided to go more internal way to fix the problems.
Now the problem is resolved, finally. Kudos for the support.

The BMC version is from 2010ish, I think where the problem is.
@kend

Thanked by 1Not_Oles