Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which countries do you IP-block on general principle? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which countries do you IP-block on general principle?

13»

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited June 2022

It really depends on what my target audience is. But generally, I take scripted actions against bots and do my best to catch spam and reject/ban on abuse. But my biggest problems come from .RU IPs, so I do block that entire range.

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

Spoofing TCP source address is out of reach for most people.

I get people ordering from spoofed IPs , pretending to be using one of cloudflare ranges. Not sure whether to block them.

I don't block any country or ASN, even VPNs are allowed. Prevent scams by enforcing 3D Secure authentication on cards.

(except NAT VPS we require IP verification before providing those)

• @Abd said: I get people ordering from spoofed IPs , pretending to be using one of cloudflare ranges. Not sure whether to block them.

Are you sure you're not missing out on something basic like using the leftmost value of the X-Forwarded-For header, or forgetting to set the realip configuration for some Cloudflare IPs?

IP datagrams are trivially spoofed, however establishing a TCP connection by completing a 3-way handshake is impossible. It's only useful for volumetric and amplification attacks.

• @Abd said:

Spoofing TCP source address is out of reach for most people.

I get people ordering from spoofed IPs , pretending to be using one of cloudflare ranges. Not sure whether to block them.

I don't block any country or ASN, even VPNs are allowed. Prevent scams by enforcing 3D Secure authentication on cards.

(except NAT VPS we require IP verification before providing those)

Is not spoofed IP, it is someone using WARP free version

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • RayxRayx Member

RU . most Hackers

• I just had a B2B guy from India pay me $2,000 USD, maybe I should unblock India.

Thanked by 2szymonp Erisa
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@SirFoxy said: India

I haven't had any serious problems with IPs tracing back to India. It's mostly .RU and .CN
    Recently though, I am having problems with SA.COM

• @Arkas said:

@SirFoxy said: India

I haven't had any serious problems with IPs tracing back to India. It's mostly .RU and .CN
    Recently though, I am having problems with SA.COM

Yeah nobody from .CN has money, they're "working" for US companies (never turn down the right man, they have a shit load of money) + .RU is sanctioned, don't touch that shit.

Indians have fuck tons of money if you meet the American Indians.

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

@stevewatson301 said:

@Abd said: I get people ordering from spoofed IPs , pretending to be using one of cloudflare ranges. Not sure whether to block them.

Are you sure you're not missing out on something basic like using the leftmost value of the X-Forwarded-For header, or forgetting to set the realip configuration for some Cloudflare IPs?

IP datagrams are trivially spoofed, however establishing a TCP connection by completing a 3-way handshake is impossible. It's only useful for volumetric and amplification attacks.

So I dug into these old records. I found they are spoofing X-Forwarded-For Header

• xrzxrz Member
    edited June 2022

blocked:

(ip.geoip.country eq "CN") or (ip.geoip.country eq "RU") or (ip.geoip.country eq "ID") or (ip.geoip.country eq "IN") or (ip.geoip.country eq "T1") or (ip.geoip.country eq "BR") or (ip.geoip.country eq "IR") or (ip.geoip.country eq "IQ") or (ip.geoip.country eq "US") or (ip.geoip.country eq "CO") or (ip.geoip.country eq "AR") or (ip.geoip.country eq "DZ") or (ip.geoip.country eq "BY") or (ip.geoip.country eq "BO") or (ip.geoip.country eq "BI") or (ip.geoip.country eq "CF") or (ip.geoip.country eq "CG") or (ip.geoip.country eq "CD") or (ip.geoip.country eq "CU") or (ip.geoip.country eq "KP") or (ip.geoip.country eq "KR") or (ip.geoip.country eq "ER") or (ip.geoip.country eq "ET") or (ip.geoip.country eq "GA") or (ip.geoip.country eq "KZ") or (ip.geoip.country eq "KG") or (ip.geoip.country eq "LA") or (ip.geoip.country eq "ML") or (ip.geoip.country eq "NI") or (ip.geoip.country eq "UZ") or (ip.geoip.country eq "VN") or (ip.geoip.country eq "ZW") or (ip.geoip.asnum in {60781 24940 16276 199524})
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, most of Africa is a good start

• block all proxies on order
    • Only accept CC 3D security orders

Never had any issues with russian or chinese customers. I know Stripe is blocking payment from russia so some businesses have just given free services instead in fear of loosing customers :/

• @ezeth said:
    India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, most of Africa is a good start

• block all proxies on order
    • Only accept CC 3D security orders

Never had any issues with russian or chinese customers. I know Stripe is blocking payment from russia so some businesses have just given free services instead in fear of loosing customers :/

Don't fear it, if it's worth the money they'll pay you alternative means.

• I've banned russians on some hobby project.
    Sales - increased. Than I've investigate why - and found tons of abuses that has been used by russians for years in hobby project that destroy sales for hobby project.

• @Abd said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@Abd said: I get people ordering from spoofed IPs , pretending to be using one of cloudflare ranges. Not sure whether to block them.

So I dug into these old records. I found they are spoofing X-Forwarded-For Header

I'm 99% sure that's just cloudflare warp users

• BKKHKBKKHK Member
    edited June 2022

RU CN are a must.
    Closely followed by RO.
    Then I filter out BG, UA and KZ.

Once 80% of the trash traffic has been filtered per above I get the occasional port knocker from the usual places: HK TW KR maybe once or twice a day, not worth adding them to the filter.

IN and ID can be nasty places too, once in a blue moon, not worth filtering them either.

Lastly a few attacks from NL and the US have been popping left and right from VPS IP ranges, however these must be dealt manually case by case, this is where abuse@ emails are been sent to as the English literacy is at it’s peak: more chances the complaints are being read, acknowledged and acted upon.

• Alex_LeoAlex_Leo Member
    edited June 2022

None, any IPs that are trying to brute force the login are handled by fail2ban or IPBan

We do partial block for malformed chinese bots(?) for our mirror servers