Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up at Porkbun?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's up at Porkbun?

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hey! I have several domains with Porkbun. All of them suddenly stopped resolving. Tried with dig from various locations and none get an IP address. Was sporadically working sometimes. Saw a few times when IPv4 was returned but not IPv6. Everything still working fine with numerical IP addresses. Anybody else seeing something similar with a Porkbun domain? Thanks! 👍

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Yes, saw an alert and immediately changed my nameservers for my domains. That also took a while but everything seems pretty alright now, some propagation left to do maybe

• Try whois on your domain and check the status code. If it’s either clientHold or serverHold, immediately contact porkbun

• Update: looks like porkbun’s nameservers are down. dig +trace gives timeout on their servers.

Lesson learned: don’t use registrar nameservers.

Thanked by 2yoursunny adly
  • @Kousaka said:
    Update: looks like porkbun’s nameservers are down. dig +trace gives timeout on their servers.

Lesson learned: don’t use registrar nameservers.

yes agreed. when ever i buy domain from xyz registry i make sure i just use cloud flare you cant go wrong on this DNS service provider .

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hi @bruh21 and @Kousaka! Thanks for helping! I'm okay with stuff not working sometimes. It happens to everyone occasionally. The domains I have with Porkbun have worked just fine for years. Their support guys are really fun -- they seem to enjoy joking around. So, Porkbun will fix everything very 🔜! Oink!

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

My domain at Porkbun resolves just fine and it's on their default NSs.

curitiba.porkbun.com
    salvador.porkbun.com
    fortaleza.porkbun.com
    maceio.porkbun.com

• @DP said:

curitiba.porkbun.com
    salvador.porkbun.com
    fortaleza.porkbun.com
    maceio.porkbun.com

Are you the guy who owns lot of prem .id domains?

• @DP said:

curitiba.porkbun.com
    salvador.porkbun.com
    fortaleza.porkbun.com
    maceio.porkbun.com

They have fixed the issue, now dig +trace gives good result

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • kendkend Member

Yes. I've also noticed this. I registered a new domain with them two days ago, was not able to add it to cloudflare. It seemed Porkbun had some issue verifying the registration with the new domain. A few minutes ago I tried again and this time it worked.

• emghemgh Member

Maybe it's time y'all stop overpaying for domains and go to Sav.

• mhnmhn Member

@emgh said:

Maybe it's time you go to Google Domains Turkey since that's also cheaper.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

2 of mine still don't resolve.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mhn said:

@emgh said:

Maybe it’s time you start supporting the little guy instead of the corporate behemoth.

Thanked by 1emgh

from support:

Hello,

We experienced a DDoS attack on our DNS servers last evening that may have caused issues with our DNS and hosted products. Our dev team was able to mitigate the attack and domains should be resolving at this time.

If you continue to experience DNS resolution issues, please write us back and we will look into any potential further issues.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles adly
  • iqbaliqbal Member

never use the registrar's NS, always use CF NS..

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@iqbal said:

Thanked by 1bdl
  • bdlbdl Member

@iqbal said:

+1! either CF or he.net

• emghemgh Member

@mhn said:

@emgh said:

And have my domains under a fake identity?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@mhn said: Maybe it's time you go to Google Domains Turkey since that's also cheaper.

That is terrible advice. GD sucks big time!

@bruh21 said:
    from support:

Hello,

We experienced a DDoS attack on our DNS servers last evening that may have caused issues with our DNS and hosted products. Our dev team was able to mitigate the attack and domains should be resolving at this time.

If you continue to experience DNS resolution issues, please write us back and we will look into any potential further issues.

Hi @bruh21!

Was that something Porkbun sent to you originally, or was it a response to your inquiry? I didn't write to Porkbun, and I didn't get this or any similar message. I am guessing you wrote to Porkbun and this was their reply.

Hope you are having a good day!

Tom

@Not_Oles said:

@bruh21 said:
    from support:

Hello,

Hi @bruh21!

Was that something Porkbun sent to you originally, or was it a response to your inquiry? I didn't write to Porkbun, and I didn't get this or any similar message. I am guessing you wrote to Porkbun and this was their reply.

Hope you are having a good day!

Tom

I did indeed contact their support

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • zedzed Member

@iqbal said:

cf is internet cancer!

i prefer to use he.net with my own server as hidden master.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

ClouDNS 💯

Thanked by 2Nekki dedicados

@zed said: i prefer to use he.net with my own server as hidden master.

I used HE DNS for awhile. It worked great! :)

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Not_Oles said: I used HE DNS for awhile. It worked great! :)

Does it still work great?

• I can recommend https://desec.io/

Thanked by 1themew
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@DP said:
    ClouDNS 💯

Winner, fuck CF.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • zedzed Member
    edited April 2022

@DP said:
    ClouDNS 💯

gonna check this out i guess, i think "cloud" being in the name plus the spelling (IS IT CLOU DNS OR CLOUD NS WHAT THE FUCK) has always triggered a soft ignore in my forebrain.

edit: nevermind, looked at their plans, sticking with he.net
    edit2: fuck that spelling! fuck them!

@Arkas said:

@Not_Oles said: I used HE DNS for awhile. It worked great! :)

Does it still work great?

the only real downside to he.net dns that i can think of is how fucking slow they are to pull updates from my hidden masters. could definitely hurt if you needed to change records in a hurry, like in a dr situation or such.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Yup, got uptimerobot downtime alerts for my testing domains.

The monitor REDACTED_DOMAIN is back UP (Host Is Reachable) (It was down for 4 minutes and 35 seconds).
    Event timestamp: 2022-04-25 07:12:28 UTC+5.5

The monitor REDACTED_DOMAIN is back UP (Host Is Reachable) (It was down for 44 minutes and 31 seconds).
    Event timestamp: 2022-04-25 08:13:45 UTC+5.5

The monitor REDACTED_DOMAIN is back UP (Host Is Reachable) (It was down for 8 minutes and 15 seconds).
    Event timestamp: 2022-04-25 08:35:00 UTC+5.5

The monitor REDACTED_DOMAIN is back UP (Host Is Reachable) (It was down for 9 minutes and 19 seconds).
    Event timestamp: 2022-04-25 09:27:06 UTC+5.5

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • titustitus Member

I use a self-hosted DNS solution (PowerDNS) for most of my domains, with some exceptions. Maybe i'm lucky, but never experienced outage for example with BookMyName, InternetBS, and Forpsi registrar's official nameserves. These are 'rock solid' for me so never wanted to change them with an 'unknown' external providers.