Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wowsers! 25GBps home fibre connection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wowsers! 25GBps home fibre connection

ralfralf Member

Just read this article about what you can get relatively cheaply for home internet in Switzerland...

https://michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2022-04-23-fiber7-25gbit-upgrade/

I've not even got 100Mbps at my house and still hoping they might finish the 900Mbps fibre rollout which is apparently supposed to happen some time this year, but as they seem to have dug up every other road near here but not mine, and then vanished, I'm not holding my breath...

Comments

• plumbergplumberg Veteran
    edited April 2022

And I felt so Kool getting Fios gigabit 3 years ago. Now it seems old-school

• with their affordable energy prices I can only dream of the lowend offers

• My NVME is crying. :'(

• The article looks incredible to me with light years ahead...

• 30033003 Member

I had 10gbit home connection past 3 years in Norway. Costing me like €65 / month.

Thanked by 1TODO
  • pikepike Veteran

Laughs in DTAG

• I can simply upgrade my home network from 1Gbit flat to 10Gbit flat with public IPv4... cost for 10Gbit is about 45€/mo + 1€/mo per IPv4.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • nobizzlenobizzle Member
    edited April 2022

Here is a picture I took in Lausanne, Swiss in September 2021.. couldn't believe my eyes

!

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited April 2022

@nobizzle said:
    Here is a picture I took in Lausanne, Swiss in September 2021.. couldn't believe my eyes

!

Does Unitymedia still exist? ok, no, it doesn't and there appears to be no connection though their logos are almost equal:

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

So in a way this doesn't surprise me for init7.
    It's simple. Most of the new switches are 10G/25G on the same port. Just a transceiver change.
    For those of us (not me at home) that are lucky enough to get FTTH. Like AT&T 5Gbps. Most people would like it for quick burst downloads but overall they still level out well under 1Gbps sustained. That's the reason why you still see 1TB data caps. That sounds like a crap ton of data but in reality that's only 3.05Mbps/Sustained for the month.

• Can confirm what @DataIdeas-Josh said - we run an FTTP network at 10G on the highest packages and only average about ~10mbps per subscriber. As a result, we run a large surplus of capacity "just in case" but rarely even hit 30% utilisation

• @discocat said:
    Can confirm what @DataIdeas-Josh said - we run an FTTP network at 10G on the highest packages and only average about ~10mbps per subscriber. As a result, we run a large surplus of capacity "just in case" but rarely even hit 30% utilisation

I always say these kind of speeds for consumer connections are more marketing than anything else. Sure, you’ll reach them if you’re lucky. But it’s everything but a guaranteed connection. And normally your local devices are the bottle neck.

My mother now has a 10 Gbps FttH connection. But it’s actually 4*2.5 Gbps as per the LAN ports on her router. Pure marketing.

@debaser said:

@discocat said:
    Can confirm what @DataIdeas-Josh said - we run an FTTP network at 10G on the highest packages and only average about ~10mbps per subscriber. As a result, we run a large surplus of capacity "just in case" but rarely even hit 30% utilisation

I always say these kind of speeds for consumer connections are more marketing than anything else. Sure, you’ll reach them if you’re lucky. But it’s everything but a guaranteed connection. And normally your local devices are the bottle neck.

My mother now has a 10 Gbps FttH connection. But it’s actually 4*2.5 Gbps as per the LAN ports on her router. Pure marketing.

The hell kind of connection is that?!
    That doesn't sound like Fiber to me.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@debaser said:

@discocat said:

Fiber to the home is 10 Gbps, media converter is 10 Gbps, WAN port on router is 10 Gbps, but the LAN ports are 2.5 Gbps each.

It is fiber and, yes, you could overcome that limitation by using your own router. But it says a lot about how telcos see these kind of connections. Marketing. It sounds very fast, but they know that >99% is not going to use it. Even if they could, which is unlikely with most consumer devices.

@debaser said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@debaser said:

@discocat said:

Fiber to the home is 10 Gbps, media converter is 10 Gbps, WAN port on router is 10 Gbps, but the LAN ports are 2.5 Gbps each.

It is fiber and, yes, you could overcome that limitation by using your own router. But it says a lot about how telcos see these kind of connections. Marketing. It sounds very fast, but they know that >99% is not going to use it. Even if they could, which is unlikely with most consumer devices.

Ah, that makes more sense.
    As far as the telcos concerns. The modems/routers are still pennies on the dollar. To truly run 10G need a tad bit more "beefier" hardware. (Granted a modern day cell phone has more "power" than a typical telco modem.)

• @debaser said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@debaser said:

@discocat said:

I wouldn't call that pure marketing since that's literally to the home. It's just a matter of hardware inside the home, which I wouldn't be surprised if they got backorder fucked due to COVID. Replace the modem with a bridge mode one and use your own router, no change to cables or service from them.

The typical home user is more likely to have 2.5Gbps nics or can add easier/cheaper than 10Gbps for 10Gbps modem/routers to be in the first gen rollout.

• CatixsCatixs Member, Host Rep

Most of the ISPs still advertise with "1G or 2.5G speed", with mentioned on the bottom "Upload speed is 1/10 of download speed " :)

Google Fiber and Fios etc.. still only available for limited cities in the downtown area.

• All their IX ports are only 10G, probably a massively overprovisioned network. Still cool though!

Thanked by 1hostdare

@LiliLabs said:
    All their IX ports are only 10G, probably a massively overprovisioned network. Still cool though!

Maybe. But they ARE hitting quite a few IXs AND they have a healthy uplinks.
    https://bgp.tools/as/13030
    Shockingly they only have v6 with HE and no Cogent.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    Maybe. But they ARE hitting quite a few IXs AND they have a healthy uplinks.
    https://bgp.tools/as/13030
    Shockingly they only have v6 with HE and no Cogent.

Agreed they're on a very impressive amount of IX, but still one customer can saturate their entire IX port for a specific region. Would have liked to see less IX ports with higher capacities, few 100G ports, etc

• If there are possibility to start BGP session and use own IP-addresses ... it will be interesting :)

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • @FairyHosting_com said:
    If there are possibility to start BGP session and use own IP-addresses ... it will be interesting :)

They let you, but their blend is pretty mid. They do offer normal DC transit within switzerland, we were considering using them in our blend there.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2022

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@debaser said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@debaser said:

@discocat said:

Ah, that makes more sense.
    As far as the telcos concerns. The modems/routers are still pennies on the dollar. To truly run 10G need a tad bit more "beefier" hardware. (Granted a modern day cell phone has more "power" than a typical telco modem.)

The provided media converter+router combo I have includes a 10 Gbps copper port (which I have connected to a 10 Gbps switch), so I’m a happy camper (my ISP only offers 3 Gbps symmetrical; I have a third of that, though).

Having said that, I run a second router between using PPPoE passthrough (the last version of my “home hub” had a removable (pre-whitelisted) SFP module from my ISP while this version integrates it into the modem.

f u sagemcom

Edit: It also has two USB 3.2 G1 ports for network storage/printers, but I seldom use them as the telco modem is missing a bunch of features (no Time Machine, etc.).

• Feels bad man. 32Mbps DL 13Mbps UP on highest plan on the only internet provider in my area.

• long way from 56k .

• I had 1Gbps connection and downgraded to 300Mbps and I don't see any difference on daily usage. It's not like you can easily use that much bandwidth with a home connection IMO unless you just download ISOs 24/7

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • And I'm here paying $120 por 1Gbps

• caiicaii Member

We have 10Gbps at 10 eur/month
    I use the smallest option of 500Mbit at 6 eur/mo since I don't need to download a lot and 500Mbit is enough for personal use.

Thanked by 2ralf dedicados
  • So crazy… I got 1Gbit connection last year and felt I’m using top notch technology, until I see this