Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Install Linux distro on 256MB memory VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Install Linux distro on 256MB memory VPS

Hi folks:

I recently got a KVM virutalized VPS but only got 256MB memory. I tried serval linux distro like Debian 9, 10, 11 (x86-64) and they both can not boot into the installer due to lack of memory. I use netboot.xyz to launch the install via PXE.

Which linux distro can be installed on those true "low-end" VPS? And am I using the wrong method for those type of install?

Comments

• Do not use netboot.xyz as it loads the entire ISO into your memory.

You can install the OS on a VM with more memory and use dd to clone the entire disk bit by bit. Or you can use methods like “vps2arch” to install using some magic.

• Alpine?

256MB is tight for the major distros these days, even on OVZ or LXC with a shared kernel, let alone KVM.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • +1 alpine, as @Kousaka mention before you need install it on vm and dd entire disk after that.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@devops01001 said:
    Hi folks:

I recently got a KVM virutalized VPS but only got 256MB memory. I tried serval linux distro like Debian 9, 10, 11 (x86-64) and they both can not boot into the installer due to lack of memory. I use netboot.xyz to launch the install via PXE.

Which linux distro can be installed on those true "low-end" VPS? And am I using the wrong method for those type of install?

I think that an original Debian netinstall ISO would work. In addition, I would try to use i386 instead of amd64.

(As @Kousaka said, netboot.xyz requires a lot of RAM.)

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

@cochon said:
    Alpine?

256MB is tight for the major distros these days, even on OVZ or LXC with a shared kernel, let alone KVM.

256MB works fine on LXC, KVM is way too tight though

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Alpine.

• ErisaErisa Member

Install Alpine virt, be happy.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • i think you can try this
    https://github.com/veip007/dd

DD debian 10
    bash <(wget --no-check-certificate -qO- 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/veip007/dd/master/InstallNET.sh') -d 10 -v 64 -a

password MoeClub.org

• use a sane linux distro, like Alpine or Tinycore that is not bloated or consider a BSD

• Debian 9, 10, 11 installs without problems on 256 MB. Just contact support to mount the appropriate ISO.

Thanked by 1devp
  • @devops01001 said:
    Hi folks:

Doesn't your provider have pre-made images? If no just make one yourself locally then upload it

Thanked by 1devp