Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to troubleshoot errors in server: it won't start after reboot
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to troubleshoot errors in server: it won't start after reboot

desfiredesfire Member

Hi,

I've acquired a server at Hetzner (just saying in case it is a specific way with them), I installed cPanel, yet I reboot the server and it will not start after the reboot, if I ping is down. How can I troubleshoot what is going on and fix it?

Comments

• Request KVM access

• @jahrinc said:
    Request KVM access

I did, yet it's so weird, connected and everything is fine and running, however, IP is not pinging checked network and it's fine

• @desfire said:
    IP is not pinging checked network and it's fine

Recheck your network config. If it's not pinging, then it's not fine.

• CheepCluckCheepCluck Member
    edited April 2022

Biggest fault I find with people installing cPanel is that they just copy paste their tutorial and bam, shits broken. it doesnt work because the name differs from the actual (its most likely not eth0, and its something like enp0s69p00p00 or something). if there is nothing important, just reload, and retry the install. or if you got access to a rescue system and you're curious into the fault, just load that up and mount the journal of your existing install to see what naughty things are happening in your garden.

Editz:

@desfire said:

@jahrinc said:
    Request KVM access

I did, yet it's so weird, connected and everything is fine and running, however, IP is not pinging checked network and it's fine

Nothing weird about that at all. You should login through the console and just figure it out. Most likely a 3 second fix if you know what you're looking for. If ICMP replies are not coming back, well I suppose take a peek into the networking service to make sure its happy with its sisters. If its crying that a device is not found, stop copy pasting stuff from tutorials (and set the device to the proper name ofc). if its none of that, then its likely a firewall issue. But I'm betting you copy pasted something.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2022

Logs ?

Also, what about sharing more info, can you ping outside internet from your server ? Something like "Ping 8.8.8.8"

Do you have some firewall like CSF ?

ip a

Anything out of order there like wrong IP or no IP at all, or no device etc.

Wast it working before cpanel install ?

You need to share more details ..

• I bet NetworkManager was removed when you installed cPanel (as cPanel doesn't support it) and now you don't get the primary IP from DHCP automatically. The solution is to configure the primary IP manually and then you will have the network up and running again :)

• @jahrinc said:
    Request KVM access

It's the best part to connect to your server remotely and troubleshoot the issue. Maybe the network configuration has been changed somehow.

• @ankursharma8715 said:

@jahrinc said:
    Request KVM access

It's the best part to connect to your server remotely and troubleshoot the issue. Maybe the network configuration has been changed somehow.

Yes, it was that. Hetzner's AlmaLinux image with cPanel does not work, I had to make some changes to make it work

• @andrewn said:
    I bet NetworkManager was removed when you installed cPanel (as cPanel doesn't support it) and now you don't get the primary IP from DHCP automatically. The solution is to configure the primary IP manually and then you will have the network up and running again :)

What I did is enabled NetworkManager and disabled Network, it works now even when reboot, I did not find a better way to do it, found some threads on WHT and cPanel Forums but none worked and this did.

How do I do what you said? I specified it on the network file but yet, that did not work either

• andrewnandrewn Member

ops, sorry, @desfire once you disabled NetworkManager just go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and set the static IP there. You can follow this guide as an example:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-setting-rhel7-centos-7-static-ip-configuration/