Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap FreeBSD/OpenBSD VPS similar to Netcup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap FreeBSD/OpenBSD VPS similar to Netcup?

I run a Tor exit node, multiple ofsb4 bridges and relays, and multiple Signal proxies. The Signal proxies are the subject of this thread, and I have about 100 regular users worldwide (Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, UAE, Ukraine, Russia, China, Tibet, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc) relying on my servers.

Currently I'm hosting them on Vultr (FreeBSD 13 and OpenBSD 7.1, natively supported) using free trial credits, as I moved away from my previous host due to costs. Vultr say they do a $2.50 cloud compute VPS, but no matter how I play with the settings the cheapest comes out to $5/mo.

My Tor exit node runs on Netcup's VPS 500 G10s VPS (4c,4GB,80GB,80TB at 5.55 Euro/mo) and they've been flawless tbf. However, even their cheapest package at 2.50/mo is way overkill for Signal proxies. If they had a package that cut that one in half at 1.25/mo I wouldn't even be asking here. Unfortunately, they don't. I'm going to open a ticket and ask, just in case, but meanwhile I'm hoping for some alternative options from you guys. I did a search (for cheap BSD hosting) but nothing remotely recent came up in the results.

Is there a semi-decent provider out there who offers BSD as a first class citizen (like Netcup and Vultr), who offer something low end like 1 core, 512MB or 1GB RAM, 5GB storage, and at least 50GB traffic a month... but for less than the 2.50 it costs for Netcup's base VPS (which has double those specs)?

I figured it was worth asking before I spend yet more money.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ErisaErisa Member

@x79Rko said: Vultr say they do a $2.50 cloud compute VPS, but no matter how I play with the settings the cheapest comes out to $5/mo.

The $2.50 one is only available in a single region, New York. You won't see this mentioned in their advertising because then they would have to admit that it's intentionally misleading putting that on the front page when it only is available in one region.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • @Erisa said:

@x79Rko said: Vultr say they do a $2.50 cloud compute VPS, but no matter how I play with the settings the cheapest comes out to $5/mo.

The $2.50 one is only available in a single region, New York. You won't see this mentioned in their advertising because then they would have to admit that it's intentionally misleading putting that on the front page when it only is available in one region.

Yeah I just got a reply from their ticket service about it. They're only available in NJ and Atlanta, and are IPv6 only. The next tier up is $3.50/mo and does come with IPv4, but by that price I'm better paying Netcup 2.99 for a far superior offering.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @Angelty78 said:
    Can recommend Hetzner, perfect for exposing the truth about Ukraine.

Except they don't support *BSD natively, are much more expensive than Netcup, and don't have much to offer the stated reqs aside from your pithy insights into the Eastern European political landscape?

I have installed FreeBSD from ISO on Hetzner in the past, and networking sucked. Presumably because it was using virtio drivers on top of Linux KVM with no optimzation.

• @Angelty78 said:

@x79Rko said:

@Angelty78 said:
    Can recommend Hetzner, perfect for exposing the truth about Ukraine.

Except they don't support *BSD natively, are much more expensive than Netcup, and don't have much to offer the stated reqs aside from your pithy insights into the Eastern European political landscape?

I have installed FreeBSD from ISO on Hetzner in the past, and networking sucked. Presumably because it was using virtio drivers on top of Linux KVM with no optimzation.

FreeBSD is full of security vulnerabilities and has a fucking awful CoC, use NetBSD (nouveau port, too), or if you insist, FreeBSD, but do not use OpenBSD. It is a dying piece of shit, which is a meme BSD variant.

Thank you for your wonderful insights.

• miaumiau Member
    edited April 2022

Buyvm? I've been running freebsd there since day one. They say you need to use intel networking for stability, but I'm using virtio without any issues.