Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a VPS provider that is 1/ reliable (not low end) and 2/ doesn't take payment in dollars?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a VPS provider that is 1/ reliable (not low end) and 2/ doesn't take payment in dollars?

About the second requirement: From my understanding of the CLOUD act, the US gov could get data on servers that are not in the US as long as the company is using USD/SWIFT.
And no, I don't have any sensitive data or run any shady business; I just like my privacy.

Comments

• Peppery9Peppery9 Member
    edited April 2022

@qwinter said:
    the US gov could get data on servers that are not in the US as long as the company is using USD/SWIFT

Contrary to popular belief, US law does not take precedence over local laws in foreign countries

• emghemgh Member

Hetzner (though I don't really consider German privacy laws any better than US ones).

If your requirement is actual privacy, avoiding USD isn't enough.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Any European company?

Thanked by 2jason5545 Peppery9
  • dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited April 2022

@Peppery9 said: Contrary to popular belief, US law does not take precedence over local laws in foreign countries

Soo you're operating a company supposedly outside the U. S. and the Feds send you a nice letter wanting some data from a client of yours that pays you $3 a month. What do you do:

• just cuck to the demand and go on with your life

or

• ignore the request and possibly get banned from doing business in the U.S., with U.S. companies, using U.S. payment systems, difficulty travelling to allied nations, possible problems with local Law Enforcement etc. etc.

In practice USA has universal jurisdiction pretty much everywhere, especially the internet. Hasn't DMCA taught you enough?

Thanked by 1Hishiro
  • james50ajames50a Member
    edited April 2022

Could always colocate a server and setup some mechanism to trigger a tiny explosive or acid around the hdd if removed. Baring that far fetched idea no your data isn't 100% secure anywhere. If a government really wants something they will get it regardless where.

• @james50a said: If a government really wants something they will get it regardless where.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited April 2022

why bother , nobody interested since nothing shady

anyway best time to try Russian provider now, pay in rubles

• the US gov could get data on servers that are not in the US as long as the company is using USD/SWIFT.

1. any russia based provider at this moment, no love for usd/swift there

And no, I don't have any sensitive data or run any shady business; I just like my privacy

2. no problem, they say... you can trust 'em, they say...

;)

• lol as any provider in russia ever provided anything with value i had few its was pure shitshow, never again

• spiritlhlspiritlhl Member
    edited April 2022

Aeza.
    (aff) https://aeza.net/?ref=345903 (Get a 15% bonus to replenish your balance, valid for 24 hours)
    (no aff) https://aeza.net/

• @dane_doherty said:

@Peppery9 said: Contrary to popular belief, US law does not take precedence over local laws in foreign countries

Soo you're operating a company supposedly outside the U. S. and the Feds send you a nice letter wanting some data from a client of yours that pays you $3 a month. What do you do:

• just cuck to the demand and go on with your life

or

• ignore the request and possibly get banned from doing business in the U.S., with U.S. companies, using U.S. payment systems, difficulty travelling to allied nations, possible problems with local Law Enforcement etc. etc.

In practice USA has universal jurisdiction pretty much everywhere, especially the internet. Hasn't DMCA taught you enough?

Handing over data without due process would be a massive privacy violation. If the request is legitimate then the U.S would have no problem convincing a local court/law enforcement as such, especially if they're threatening oligarch-level sanctions against a $3 LEB provider.

Thanked by 1szymonp
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Hi, we are premium and we take payment in 🥭.
    Antarctica IPv9 VPS

Thanked by 2szymonp Peppery9
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Best to expect that there is very little privacy on today's internet. Regardless of where your service is hosted (on planet earth).

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@qwinter said:
    About the second requirement: From my understanding of the CLOUD act, the US gov could get data on servers that are not in the US as long as the company is using USD/SWIFT.

... or on servers in an occupation zone like Germany or a in 14 eyes country or in a NATO country or in a country like Switzerland whose regime has bent over or in a country that is too small to resist or ...

I guess you got the gist. Besides Russia and China there is pretty much no place where the government and legal system don't care about anglo-saxon demands (but careful, they very much do care about their laws). Re China I'm afraid you can forget that candidate because they are quite walled off (and their large corporations aren't much different from western ones) and re Russia, there are decent, even good providers but they tend to be either old hardware and limited bandwidth but cheap or quite a bit more expensive than say european providers.

And no, I don't have any sensitive data or run any shady business; I just like my privacy.

Forget about it. No such thing. But you can get nice statements and even a couple of songs praising your non-existing privacy and freedom to console you and to bring you back into the "democracy, rule of law, freedom, privacy" trance.

Within the wonderful western world I only see a few providers like @MannDude as an option, but don't you dream of freedom and privacy, there is only so much those providers can offer and do for you. His VPS are nice though, I know because I have one and tested it extensively.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • HybulaHybula Member, Patron Provider

It depends, eventually legitimate complaints from the US can get access to data stored EU countries. But it also depends on policies of the hosting provider. From our experience; we never share customer data unless it's validated and requested by the Dutch NBIP. Dutch providers can use the service of the NBIP to validate requests/complaints against EU/Dutch legislation. US complaints will need to be validated by the NBIP before we act on them. Same for German or European complaints.

So complaints from anywhere in the world (e.g. US, Germany, Maledives) must be sent through the appropriate channels like the Dutch authorities and eventually through the NBIP.

If you are not a criminal and you just like your privacy, then with any good EU-based provider you wouldn't need to worry. From my personal experience the US is mainly after criminals that either operate malware/botnet (large scale) or host copyrighted content without permission (large scale).

Any questions; feel free to reply or DM us. We have quite some experience in this. So far for Hybula we never shared customer data, as we very strictly enforce our AUP on our network/services.

PS: We also offer VMs, not really lowend but still affordable for the quality provided.

• EU may be a better option.

• db385db385 Member

Very happy with LiteServer for 6 months now.
    I've tested 11 low end/low price providers now, mostly from here but LiteServer has the most consistent speed, low latency (it helps that i'm also from NL :P), their prices are realistic but stil low and you can pay with Bitcoin (Lightning). You just missed their Easter deals (25% discount) though.

• Try localhost.