Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicate server with self-managed VMs or go straight with VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicate server with self-managed VMs or go straight with VPS?

DrSlimeDrSlime Member

I need some suggestions to clear my mind.
We will be running an e-commerce account management service, and each of our staff maintains about ten different eBay or Amazon accounts.

One key part is that those accounts never shared the same machine or IP, so they don't get flagged as bot-seller or linked-seller.

The most reliable way is just buying a computer and broadband for each account, but that is not viable. So I am thinking about getting each account a VPS.

For each account, we have a £20/month budget.

With the £200 budget, I think I may well go with a dedicated server and create 10 VMs myself? In this way, when managing each account, I can use the full power of the server instead of (VPS) just a tiny portion of it.

How bad is my idea of getting a dedicated server compared to VPS?

I have checked the VMware Workstation licences cost £160 one-off and each Windows 10 VM licence is £10. Is there any other hidden cost that I wasn't aware of?

Who is the best I should look for with this type of budget? Must be in UK data centre.
Many thanks.

Comments

• ehabehab Member

since you have a business then i would not recommend putting all your vps on one machine.

i think best to use high availability managed providers like Azure, AWS, Google cloud etc... this way you focus on your business not the infra.

you need to spend money to make money.

Thanked by 1DrSlime
  • @ehab said:

since you have a business then i would not recommend putting all your vps on one machine.

i think best to use high availability managed providers like Azure, AWS, Google cloud etc... this way you focus on your business not the infra.

you need to spend money to make money.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I have thought about this as the dedicated server will be the single point of failure.
    However, the nature of the account management has nearly zero data stored on the VPS. All the VPS will be connected to our main storage service, e.g. Google Drive, company NAS, etc. The task done on the VPS is all web browsing, reply to email and message, uploading photos from the network drive, etc.
    But as you mentioned, I start to think about the possibility to use hourly billed services. Each account only requires 0.5~1 hours of management time per day. So if I pay the price for the 10*50GB storage and then only power on each VPS for 1 hour a day, then I will be only paying $100 per month!
    I will have to do some detailed calculations...

• Get a cheapest VPS from couple of different providers and configure VPN service/SOCKS proxy on them. How is getting a dedi going to help you with IP addresses?

If you run VMs, they're likely going to have the same browser fingerprint though.

Thanked by 2yoursunny DrSlime
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Sounds like the purpose of a VPN is more suitable and immensely cheaper.

Thanked by 1DrSlime
  • You don't need a VM. Just install a reverse proxy and demultiplex on host name.

• ChuckChuck Member

ebay allows you to have more than 1 acc?

• @dane_doherty said:
    Get a cheapest VPS from couple of different providers and configure VPN service/SOCKS proxy on them. How is getting a dedi going to help you with IP addresses?

If you run VMs, they're likely going to have the same browser fingerprint though.

Getting dedi only helps with how smooth the remote working experience is. I was planning to get 10 IPs from different /24 subnet and assign them to 10 VMs on one dedi.
    Thanks for metionning browser fingerprint. This is the first time I heard about it and will look into it. Not sure if changing different browsers help...

• @MikeA said:

Not sure what kind of fingerprint is collected so VPN on its own may not be safe. If only the IP address is the problem, then I can easily set up 10 VMs on my home server.
    Also, I am not sure the risk level of a crashing VPN which casues real IP leakage.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@DrSlime said:

@MikeA said:

Not sure what kind of fingerprint is collected so VPN on its own may not be safe. If only the IP address is the problem, then I can easily set up 10 VMs on my home server.
    Also, I am not sure the risk level of a crashing VPN which casues real IP leakage.

You can always use measures to anonymize your browser fingerprint.
    As for crashes of your VPN, most clients/apps have “kill switches” to prevent your IP from leaking.

• @Chuck said:
    ebay allows you to have more than 1 acc?

You can't personally has more than one but you can have many if you are business.
    Anyway, we don't own those account. We manage the traffic/listing performance/customer satisfaction/.etc for our customers. We don't decide what to sell and has nothing to do with actual running such business. We charge our customer for better traffic and sales, basic plus commision.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • If you do go down the dedi route, don't use VMWare Workstation - use Proxmox or ESXi instead (both free*, too).