Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What OS do you use on low space vps - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What OS do you use on low space vps

2»

Comments

• i just installed Debian 10 64 bit and my vps shows 30 GB space free. Which is good question where my space is been occupied?

Formatting

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:
    @Merlincool

Wrong question, because AFAIK all linux distros (for server use) as well as all BSDs don't use more than a couple of hundred MB or a bit over a GB (incl. typically needed software). But to answer your question anyway, I use and recommend Alpine or, if a client demands so (a few do), a custom-made (with the help of a friend and BSD guru) Mini-FreeBSD, both of which run happily (incl. server software made for clients) from very small disks (< 1GB) and 128 MB RAM.
    The real problem (or "problem") wrt disk space required is the full stack that many (probably most) "need" that is, e.g. LAMP/BAMP/LNMP/BNMP, plus the data both of which often are bloated and without any care about space.

i just installed Debian 10 64 bit and my vps shows 30 GB space free. Which is good question where my space is been occupied?

That image I posted on top was after fresh installation of debain 10 and no additional softwares of other things were installed.

du -hd 1 / might be a good starting point.

• @jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:
    @Merlincool

Wrong question, because AFAIK all linux distros (for server use) as well as all BSDs don't use more than a couple of hundred MB or a bit over a GB (incl. typically needed software). But to answer your question anyway, I use and recommend Alpine or, if a client demands so (a few do), a custom-made (with the help of a friend and BSD guru) Mini-FreeBSD, both of which run happily (incl. server software made for clients) from very small disks (< 1GB) and 128 MB RAM.
    The real problem (or "problem") wrt disk space required is the full stack that many (probably most) "need" that is, e.g. LAMP/BAMP/LNMP/BNMP, plus the data both of which often are bloated and without any care about space.

i just installed Debian 10 64 bit and my vps shows 30 GB space free. Which is good question where my space is been occupied?

That image I posted on top was after fresh installation of debain 10 and no additional softwares of other things were installed.

https://i.postimg.cc/52xVQqXX/IMG-20220420-190707.jpg

Didn't find anything significant

• I'm gonna say Ubuntu, but that's essentially Debian sans decade-old package updates.

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:
    @Merlincool

1018 MB used of a 35 GB disk. What's the problem?
    In case you really need a linux that uses less disk space -> Alpine.

• @jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:
    @Merlincool

Not really this is my space consumed https://i.postimg.cc/Kz24z47j/IMG-20220420-121454.jpg

How can I say only 1018 MB space was used. Where is other occupied?

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:
    @Merlincool

Not really this is my space consumed https://i.postimg.cc/Kz24z47j/IMG-20220420-121454.jpg

Look at the '/dev/vda1' line. '1002 MB used' matches the 'du' output quite well. Why are there, as it seems, another 4 GB "used", i.e. not available? Probably some reserve space managed by the OS.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited April 2022

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:
    @Merlincool

I like how 33-1=30.

There's two 1GB tmpfs, but I'm not sure if that comes from the 35GB or the 33GB.

• @TimboJones said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:
    @Merlincool

I like how 33-1=30.

There's two 1GB tmpfs, but I'm not sure if that comes from the 35GB or the 33GB.

And at first place why not 35 GB? why 33 GB? Sorry if I am missing something.

• @Merlincool said:

@TimboJones said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:
    @Merlincool

I like how 33-1=30.

And at first place why not 35 GB? why 33 GB? Sorry if I am missing something.

Operating system overhead.

Thanked by 1Merlincool
  • @jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:

@Merlincool said:

@jsg said:
    @Merlincool

Look at the '/dev/vda1' line. '1002 MB used' matches the 'du' output quite well. Why are there, as it seems, another 4 GB "used", i.e. not available? Probably some reserve space managed by the OS.

The 4GB is formatting

• 4GB is donated to Chia

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

@Merlincool said:

@Advin said:

@WebProject said:

@Advin said:
    Windows

Haha, windows will use whole lot, so Debian is the best OS.

This is not photoshopped or anything :)
    It's actually running on 4GB of storage and still has spare space!

Is it possible on vps?

Yes, I just started running it on a few VPS's recently. I first installed it on a VPS that's running on my Proxmox box with a couple of applications and then I saved the disk as a .img so that I could clone it to any provider I want (as long as they have some form of rescue).

I wouldn't really recommend it if you don't actually need Windows.

• Debian 10 minimal

• Debian9

• Alpine linux, or alternatively openbsd.

Both have very simple text based installers, have no trouble installing even on smallest VMs one can buy and both work well for whatever this small VMs can be used.

Great thing about openbsd is that it can be installed by simply booting bsd.rd using grub, so no need to mount ISOs in case provider does not have easy access to that.

Both also have minimal install which is actually minimal unlike some more mainstream options...

Thanked by 2devp Merlincool