Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it enough ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it enough ?

Hi all.
I would like to ask,

1st Question

I want to run pihole and wireguard.
Is VPS with 512MB enough ?

2nd Question

Should I mix pihole with the wireguard in the same vps ?
I want to use my own DNS. and at the same time an encrypt security which is wireguard..

Please help.. TQ

Comments

• SauronSauron Member
    edited April 2022

For VPN, even VPS with 128 Mb is enough.

# pmap 599 | tail -n 1
     total            12944K

This is for openvpn, but I do not this that Wireguard consumes more.

Thanked by 2netomx mrlongshen
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

VPN? 64MB is enough

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • It can run on 32MB possibly.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • blackblack Member

If you're only using pi-hole to blacklist certain domains, you can just download the blacklist directly and put it in your hosts file.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • Pihole claims to need 512MB ram. This is entirely for the frontend bloat, like @black said is fine. wireguard will fit next to it, or just add some swap. no problem to combine it on the same vps if you are comfortable configuring it. note that DOH and DOT might bypass your pihole

• 512MB isn't enough to just run the OS as recommended on modern popular distros. You'll be annoyed when dnf or apt just break one day and you need to update packages one by one...

Also, pihole sucks and regularly breaks. I've moved to NextDNS and haven't looked back.

Thanked by 1BlazinDimes
  • @mrlongshen said:
    Hi all.
    I would like to ask,

1st Question

I want to run pihole and wireguard.
    Is VPS with 512MB enough ?

2nd Question

Should I mix pihole with the wireguard in the same vps ?
    I want to use my own DNS. and at the same time an encrypt security which is wireguard..

Please help.. TQ

I have VPN on a 128MB Ubuntu 9 VPS. It takes up like 11 MB of ram rn. So as long as the OS is small you shouldn't have problems.

• emghemgh Member

@szymonp said: Ubuntu 9

what

• @emgh said:

@szymonp said: Ubuntu 9

what

• Sorry I meant debian 9 facepalm

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @TimboJones said:
    512MB isn't enough to just run the OS as recommended on modern popular distros. You'll be annoyed when dnf or apt just break one day and you need to update packages one by one...

Also, pihole sucks and regularly breaks. I've moved to NextDNS and haven't looked back.

breaks ? why ? nextdns is paid.

• @mrlongshen said:

@TimboJones said:
    512MB isn't enough to just run the OS as recommended on modern popular distros. You'll be annoyed when dnf or apt just break one day and you need to update packages one by one...

breaks ? why ? nextdns is paid.

NextDNS is free up to certain amount. For 1-2 servers, that's fine. I upgraded when I had like 5 nets using it.

Pihole breaks on upgrades, doesn't work with openvz or xen, having to switch git branches, using a modified dnsmasq, etc.

Perhaps they got better, but in the past when reporting bugs, I felt the response was a mix of amateur experience, lack of testing and no fucks to give. "It worked until you implemented this unnecessary change" doesn't get the response you'd think it would.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Is it enough ?

It's never enough

• I don't know pihole but wireguard is a light weight VPN server and you can easily run it under a 128m box.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • Its enough, I run pihole and wireguard on a centos7 512mb ram vps and it's running smoothly.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • If you cant spare 512MB to spin up a VPS to test it out on your host machine, you got different priorities.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen