Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Docker
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Docker

I come across a lot of stuff on GitHub I'd like to install on my vps's, they require docker to install and I just can't grasp the concept.
Is there an easy way, Good tutorial for me to learn? And running things in containers, just can't grasp or understand. I've tried googling and the usually taken path. Racknerd does have a install of Ubuntu with docker install with it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• afnafn Member
    edited April 2022

@Nekki there is the word "Racknerd" in this post. How are you not triggered!? I see no "your containers have been doubled" or some other kind of toll post. Are you ok today?

Seriously tho, First time I learned docker, I did nothing but curse the official guides, but they improved a lot now, I guess.

As Nekki said, Digital Ocean indeed has great tutorials that helped me learn and usually every tool you want to download, will have its own instructions to help you install via docker.

In some sense you can see the container as a VM, you can ssh to the container and run commands inside of it, and exit, keep it running in background etc.

The container is an instance, the thing you use, it is built based on a recipe that you specify (either via commands or you can save them in Docker compose)
    You usually start from an Image (the ingredients of the recipe). You can see an image like a friend giving you his vdi for a virtual machine with OS already installed with some set of software and the container is the VM after your unpack that .vdi file in a VM and run it.

You can create your own image if you wish!

For example when you download Wordpress image, it's like downloading some basic linux image, run a container from it, then SSH to that container and install manually apache, WordPress, allow ports, etc.

Hope this helps a little

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@afn said: @Nekki there is the word "Racknerd" in this post. How are you not triggered!? I see no "your containers have been doubled" or some other kind of toll post. Are you ok today?

Why do you think I'm being helpful for a change? To stop the OP from going to Racknerd...

• The same question was asked few weeks ago and this was the answer. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3403091#Comment_3403091

Can't say personally if those guides are good or not. But I can say, Docker is easy to learn.

Thanked by 1edip
  • https://labs.play-with-docker.com allowed me to painlessly experiment with a live docker-enabled terminal in the browser. Fantastic playground and saved me the hassle of installation and post docker cleanup.

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited April 2022

@melp57 said:
    I come across a lot of stuff on GitHub I'd like to install on my vps's, they require docker to install and I just can't grasp the concept.
    Is there an easy way, Good tutorial for me to learn? And running things in containers, just can't grasp or understand. I've tried googling and the usually taken path. Racknerd does have a install of Ubuntu with docker install with it.

Thanks in advance.

We've doubled your bandwidth, your RAM and your monthly fee.

• frezzfrezz Member

I went the Docker way six months ago and I will never come back. It is just 100 times easier configure and to spin up a service as many times as you want. No more VPS configuration. it's all written in my docker compose files and run on any VPS or cloud instance with docker installed in the same way.
    Time spent on learning docker and docker-compose is worth it.
    Also have a look at Portainer: a container management software that you can run on your laptop

• dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited April 2022

"Docker" and "low-end" aren't really a good combination are they

• frezzfrezz Member

@dane_doherty said:

most of the LE advertised VPS are more then capable of running a bunch of services.

example: I've a VPS that runs 13 containers (among which wp, 2 * mariadb, mongodb,3*nginx, apache,duplicati, portainer and traefik) with in less than 2GB ram.
    All low traffic stuff that runs smoothly

• @dane_doherty said:

A "container" is just a linux namespace. It works on "low end" just as well as "high end." You can create linux containers without docker and do everything manually. Read this network namespace article:

https://tanzu.vmware.com/developer/blog/a-container-is-a-linux-namespace-and-networking-basics/

if you understand it, search for "cgroups" and continue the journey.

• seenuseenu Member

@frezz said:

@dane_doherty said:

most of the LE advertised VPS are more then capable of running a bunch of services.

example: I've a VPS that runs 13 containers (among which wp, 2 * mariadb, mongodb,3*nginx, apache,duplicati, portainer and traefik) with in less than 2GB ram.
    All low traffic stuff that runs smoothly

How do you deal with port 80?
    i mean...how people can access different containers without any port number in URL?

i am using docker for more than a year but mostly for my own puprose with seperate port for each instance.

• @seenu said: How do you deal with port 80?

i mean...how people can access different containers without any port number in URL?

i am using docker for more than a year but mostly for my own puprose with seperate port for each instance.

>

using traefik or caddy containers to point to other containers

Thanked by 1seenu
  • frezzfrezz Member

@seenu said:

How do you deal with port 80?

I use traefik, is a reverse proxy with SSL termination, it auto discover services and ask for letsencrypt certificates. You can use also nginx (with optional nginx proxy manager) and caddy as suggested.

this mean you point all your domain to the same ip port 80 and the proxy take care of SSL and routes the request to the right container

Thanked by 1seenu
  • We have dockered your life universe and everything

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2022

I hate Docker with a passion as it's forced me to relearn common concepts about how software on a server is supposed to work. But nowadays you need 4GB of RAM and a full CPU core dedicated to compile some hipster's software that just prints out, "Hello World" on a web page.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MannDude said:
    I hate Docker with a passion as it's forced me to relearn common concepts about how software on a server is supposed to work. But nowadays you need 4GB of RAM and a full CPU core dedicated to compile some hipster's software that just prints out, "Hello World" on a web page.

Fucking millennials.

Every fresh uni cunt we have come into the office now is trying to containerise stuff, when we ask them to justify why, they get torn apart like soft bread. Highlight of my week, usually.

• afnafn Member

@Nekki said: Fucking millennials.

Every fresh uni cunt we have come into the office now is trying to containerise stuff, when we ask them to justify why, they get torn apart like soft bread. Highlight of my week, usually.

I do confirm it's true! It became more of trend than for useful reason.

• @Nekki said:
    Fucking millennials.

There's no reason not to containerize. If you think containerizing anything makes things more "complicated," it just means you're about to become obsolete and those fucking millennials will soon get your job.

• @afn said: I do confirm it's true! It became more of trend than for useful reason.

exactly.
    The same shit i have in some community with 15 years old C code.
    Where instead of keep growing the project and improving the C code, some retards comes to the contributor position and pushing bullshit crap with YML, with g++, with vectors, and other bullshit from C++...

In result we having loading from 2s in 2020 to 8minutes in 2022. (This is not a joke).
    You can't even imagine how hard to debug that bullshit.

And instead of rolling back all of that shit, and say to the young stupid motherfucker: "go fuck yourself and your code and eat your shit", everyone extremely tolerant and friendly and closing eyes, that their project got slow on startup in 240x times, and consume around 80% more memory, and extremely complicated now, and super hard to gdb the code and dumps, and tons of warnings and problems in compiler and no more cross-platform...

The same shit i see from the same motherfuckers who doing such shit on github private repos (in our private groups) related to docker.

Instead of apt install nginx php-fpm mariadb

They writting and spending weeks to prepare .yml configs and whole orchestration for the JUST small website hosted on 1GB RAM VPS. No, i'm not kid, this is work with a sense of just doing the work, nothing more. Extremely useless and stupid shit.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mosquitoguy said: There's no reason not to containerize. If you think containerizing anything makes things more "complicated," it just means you're about to become obsolete and those fucking millennials will soon get your job.

No it doesn't, because those fucking millennials have no idea what they're talking about and just throw buzzwords about.

If they could coherently explain why containerisation is worthwhile even vaguely, we could then have a conversation about whether it's worthwhile building a bunch of new automation tooling to support it, but we never get that far.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • @Nekki said:
    No it doesn't, because those fucking millennials have no idea what they're talking about and just throw buzzwords about.
    If they could coherently explain why containerisation is worthwhile even vaguely, we could then have a conversation about whether it's worthwhile building a bunch of new automation tooling to support it, but we never get that far.

I install nothing on the OS except for docker and lxd. I can migrate anything just by exporting a container and re-importing it. If something screws up, I restart the container or rollback to the last snapshot. When I move providers, I delete all containers and the OS looks as if I never touched it.

Like I said, there's NO reason not to containerize. If you need a reason to containerize, then you really don't understand it. Just because those millennials can't explain themselves doesn't make containers any less valid.

• there's NO reason not to containerize.

Containers piss me off because they don't work on vps with no virtualization(so most cheap VPS) and also don't work well on arm cpu's(most of the time).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mosquitoguy said: I install nothing on the OS except for docker and lxd. I can migrate anything just by exporting a container and re-importing it. If something screws up, I restart the container or rollback to the last snapshot. When I move providers, I delete all containers and the OS looks as if I never touched it.

That wouldn't play where I work, but I'm sure it's fine in many, many cases.

@mosquitoguy said: Like I said, there's NO reason not to containerize. If you need a reason to containerize, then you really don't understand it. Just because those millennials can't explain themselves doesn't make containers any less valid.

Of course there are reasons not to do it - if it's extra effort/time with no discernible benefit. You don't just go and do it because you can, and rework all your deployment automation just for the sake of it without there being a good reason to do so, it's simply not a good use of time and project funding.

If you're starting from scratch then sure, maybe there's a case for it, but that's not where I'm coming from.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • We have dockered your life universe and everything> @mosquitoguy said:

@Nekki said:
    Fucking millennials.

There's no reason not to containerize. If you think containerizing anything makes things more "complicated," it just means you're about to become obsolete and those fucking millennials will soon get your job.

It's a tool you can use properly or wrong. The current meme is to have someone prepare you a container and you run it and brrr. Instead of knowing your system it is now complete OSes managed by random shits. There are tons of ways like pledge, jails or what not. Docker and other is a meme gagdet for your instant brainfarts

• @kevertje said:
    It's a tool you can use properly or wrong. The current meme is to have someone prepare you a container and you run it and brrr. Instead of knowing your system it is now complete OSes managed by random shits. There are tons of ways like pledge, jails or what not. Docker and other is a meme gagdet for your instant brainfarts

Like I said in my previous post, a container is just a linux namespace. I can create a container without installing docker at all and, not knowing what namespaces are, you would have no way of detecting it. This post just shows you really don't know your system at all.

• I started docker with apprehension too. Have learnt to appreciate its use of OverlayFS for space savings with multiple developmental branches, and convenience to instantly "activate" any branch or rollback to the most recent docker commit.