Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitoring network that runs on AWS to monitor systems outside of AWS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Monitoring network that runs on AWS to monitor systems outside of AWS?

OhJohnOhJohn Member
edited April 2022 in Help

Does anyone know of a monitoring network that runs on AWS?

Today someone just had the idea to download all NASA data into LW NL or developed an Azn prime downloader or whatever.

So today the lines from AWS to LW and vice versa are totally congested while everything else in LW and AWS is fine network-wise.

But that direction (esp. AWS FRA<->LW AMS) is jumping routes (LWs own, GTT and via DE-CIX), having packetloss, high latencies etc.

Now my monitoring does not detect this as it does not run on AWS. So monitoring says everything is fine while nothing is.

So if anyone knows of a monitoring service that runs on AWS, please step forward.

I don't want AWS monitored but other providers monitored out of AWS network.

Comments

• OhJohn!

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • Exactly :)

So I know that you could do it via cloudwatch by AWS but as this is LET there has to be a better solution.

• You can use our AGENT checks to stand up your own monitor inside of AWS and monitor both ways.

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • @NodePing but this would mean to use AWS myself to install it inside of their network.

I try to avoid that as I'm no fan of AWS (or any of the big cloud providers).

But otherwise your service NodePing looks good (haven't seen this before).

That's why I hoped to find a third-party monitoring service that is run on AWS infrastructure.

If I don't find one I'll still have to go that way (or do LB inside of AWS) as a rtt of >120ms between FRA and AMS is unusable (it's normally around 15ms or even lower).

Right now I'm rerouting AWS FRA<->LW AMS traffic through DUS that get's me a rtt of 20-25ms. The problem is that this was done manually and to automate this I would need monitoring data between AWS and LW (or AWS and other providers I use).

And what I don't understand: why are all AWS locations in Europe affected even if they all have their own (different) routes to LW in AMS? Someone is really testing the network or sth. is f*cked up...

• Smokeping

Thanked by 1OhJohn