Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what's the better choice for enterprise backup solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what's the better choice for enterprise backup solution

frakassfrakass Member
edited April 2022 in Tutorials

the dev team request me to deploy a backup server for digital contents.
what's the better solution do you think below?

1. HDFS - pros: most of our dev/ops know it well, and the library for access it was mature. cons: java consumes a lot of memory that others.
  2. Webdav - I can setup apache mod_dav for it. pros: it's easy to manage. cons: no replications as automatically as HDFS.
  3. FTP - pros: it's pretty simple. cons: the security issue? also no auto replications.
  4. object storage such as min.io: pros: it's easy to use. cons: it's not that easy to maintain a solid distributed storage system.

How do you suggest the implementation? tks.

Thanked by 1oracle

Comments

• AWS S3, it's the most reliable solution you can find on the market with 6 copies of your data. For backup usage there is usually not much egress and storage cost is affordable.

• @angelius said:
    AWS S3, it's the most reliable solution you can find on the market with 6 copies of your data. For backup usage there is usually not much egress and storage cost is affordable.

i forgot to mention, backup should be deployed in internal.

• kdhkdh Member

I don't think those options matter that much.
    Just pick any one of them (whatever you desire), put some RAIDs & make multiple copies across multiple servers. Boom.

• @frakass said:
    i forgot to mention, backup should be deployed in internal.

By internal you mean on prem?

If you have to ask, keep it simple...it'll save your ass in the long run.

Personally I would just use 2 separate (cheap) cloud object storage, like wasabi + b2. If you can't do this due to on-prem requirement, just save to separate servers in 2 or 3 locations, each having raid 1.

Don't forget to test your restore.

From your option 1-4, and given your constraints, I would choose 1) because memory is pretty cheap these days.

Thanked by 1frakass
  • NTFS. It just werks ™

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Our preferred way its borg backup and its encrypted too.

• other way: https://bunny.net/edge-storage/

automatically replicates your files around the world

• devpdevp Member
    edited April 2022

On premises NAS ( Network Attached Storage ) .
    Lots of Commercial Content Creators are using these to store PetaBytes of Video Content on their office network.

Reference Link: