Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have got the interest to setup a mailserver, what's the specs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I have got the interest to setup a mailserver, what's the specs?

I am thinking for a simple personal mailserver, maybe 512m ram, 1 core cpu, 20g disk are enough? and a good IP reputation as well as reverse DNS is required. how do you think of it?

Comments

• Depending on how you set up the mailserver you may need more RAM than that I think. I was using Mailcow for a little while and some components required quite a bit of RAM.

Thanked by 2frakass Erisa
  • for email domain which one do you think better here?

1. .xyz
    2. .eu
    3. .nl

I have only the three choices for my desired name.
    thanks

• xyz = spam, IMHO.

Thanked by 1taizi
  • yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@frakass said:
    for email domain which one do you think better here?

1. .xyz
    2. .eu
    3. .nl

thanks

What is the domain name?

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@frakass said:

1. .xyz
    2. .eu
    3. .nl

thanks

Not xyz

• .nl is better it means 100% dutch

• ErisaErisa Member

The resources vary by which software suite you end up using. I remember seeing one that worked on 512mb but I can't remember the name anymore.

Mailcow can be configured to work within 2gb ram by disabling some of the features, however if you need those features you'll need more. Maybe seek out light alternatives by doing your own research if 2gb is too much.

• Antivirus (usually ClamAV) tends to be the component that needs a lot of memory. AntiSpam (usually SpamAssassin) can be a bit of a hog too.

Having either or both alongside an SMTP/IMAP setup on 512MB would be a bit too tight these days.

Thanked by 2frakass Erisa
  • @cochon said: ClamAV

ClamAV, or more specifically clamd has become a monster. It used to run OK on a VPS with 512MB RAM. Bloatware. :(

• ClamAv itself requires 700mb+ resource. So, know what you are getting into. Rspamd is much lighter than spamassassin.

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@cochon said: ClamAV

ClamAV, or more specifically clamd has become a monster. It used to run OK on a VPS with 512MB RAM. Bloatware. :(

To be fair, I don't think it's so much bloatware, the functionality hasn't changed much, but the database of malware fingerprints which just grows and grows.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited April 2022

@cochon said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@cochon said: ClamAV

To be fair, I don't think it's so much bloatware, the functionality hasn't changed much, but the database of malware fingerprints which just grows and grows.

Do people actually get malware through spam emails? Has never been my experience so far.

• @cochon said: To be fair, I don't think it's so much bloatware, the functionality hasn't changed much, but the database of malware fingerprints which just grows and grows.

Strictly speaking, yes, though the effect is the same. The program really needs a rethink/refactor to take account of the data quantity. It likely was never envisaged that the threats would grow so large.

Thanked by 1cochon
  • alentoalento Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2022

Mail-in-a-Box will run with those specs, though 1gb RAM is better.

Use the .eu domain if using MiaB to handle DNS. Otherwise, either .nl or .eu are good. Avoid .xyz like the plague.

Oh and using this to relay your emails removes IP reputation from the equation.

http://anydomain.net/anymxrelay/

Thanked by 1frakass
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited April 2022

@frakass said: I am thinking for a simple personal mailserver, maybe 512m ram, 1 core cpu, 20g disk are enough?

Generally, exim will be more than happy with 512MB RAM and one core for most personal use cases. I once ran a personal exim on 32bit CentOS 5 and 6 XEN-based vps with 128MB of RAM for many years.

@frakass said: and a good IP reputation as well as reverse DNS is required. how do you think of it?

Use a low-end VM and the IP probably be your biggest challenge. It's easy to find IPs without a bad reputation, but hard to get providers to trust IPs. Configs like reverse IP, spf, dkim, and dmarc help but some providers just flat out block IPs on initial connect, for whatever reason they have. You're in luck if you plan to send to gmail addresses, since your mail will be accepted but end up in people's spam folders initially, but you will start to get a better gmail reputation as more people mark them as not spam.

Thanked by 1frakass
  • @frakass said:

1. .xyz
    2. .eu
    3. .nl

thanks

eu or nl(nl is cheaper as far as I'm aware). xyz is often used by spammers so that's a big no.

• @alento said:
    Mail-in-a-Box will run with those specs, though 1gb RAM is better.

Use the .eu domain if using MiaB to handle DNS. Otherwise, either .nl or .eu are good. Avoid .xyz like the plague.

Oh and using this to relay your emails removes IP reputation from the equation.

http://anydomain.net/anymxrelay/

hello what is the relationship between http://anydomain.net and mxroute?

• @szymonp said: xyz is often used by spammers

com is also used by spammers. Literally the most spam i get is with spoofed FROM using a gmail account and "marketing" companies with com domains.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited April 2022

@cochon said: AntiSpam (usually SpamAssassin) can be a bit of a hog too.

I'm not sure who's actually still using SpamAssassin. rspamd is fully backwards compatible (any custom SpamAssassin rules you're using can still be used with rspamd), it's much more efficient, and its spam blocking is far better, especially when you use their fuzzy hashes.

• pbxpbx Member

As other mentioned, avoid xyz.

If you setup postfix + dovecot and what's strictly necessary (opendkim, etc) but NO antivirus and spam scanning software you can do fine on 512MB. If you want rspamd 1GB will be better and if you want to use ClamaV a 2GB box will be the lowest you can hope to go for, and that's with an optimized setup. 3 or 4 GB would be more comfortable.

Specs will also be different whether you will have a lot of users (= lot of scanning to do) or not.

Thanked by 1frakass
  • alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@jingfanqin said:

hello what is the relationship between http://anydomain.net and mxroute?

AnyDomain is a reseller of MXroute services.

Just as a few dozen other members of LET are.