Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers allowing 100% cpu usage for allotted time in a day?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers allowing 100% cpu usage for allotted time in a day?

mekrmekr Member
edited April 2022 in Requests

I want to run background jobs but I don't care at what time they run in a day. Are there any VPS providers who allow couple of hours of continuous system (cpu & disk) usage during the allotted time slot?

Comments

• cpu yes, disk i/o no
    go for dedicated server

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I think most VPS providers could care less. You shouldn't be worried.

• Hetzner cloud - I can use CPU at max on whichever plan 24x7 and they don't care.

Disk I havent tried.

• mekrmekr Member

I think I should have asked about VPS providers who cater to the need of running background jobs. So all users on the system will be background job runners allotted specific time slot.

• mekrmekr Member

@jahrinc said:
    Hetzner cloud - I can use CPU at max on whichever plan 24x7 and they don't care.

Disk I havent tried.

I am aware of cloud solutions that provide dedicated cpu instances but they charge for 24x7 usage.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@mekr said:
    I think I should have asked about VPS providers who cater to the need of running background jobs. So all users on the system will be background job runners allotted specific time slot.

@lentro is your boy.
    Spin up the machine, all the CPU (and GPU) are yours.
    Halt the machine, and you pay for storage only.
    Use another very cheap machine to send the spin up command via API.
    https://console.tensordock.com/deploy_cpu

Thanked by 3mekr dahartigan lentro
  • @mekr said: I am aware of cloud solutions that provide dedicated cpu instances but they charge for 24x7 usage

I don't mean their dedicated plans. Their regular plans (non-dedicated) you can use the CPU 24x7 100% - I've been doing so for the last 4-5 months, no issues.

Same as contabo.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

I haven't really encountered many providers that have stopped me for CPU abuse, and sometimes I run some fairly heavy CPU-intensive tasks. Only providers that have actually stopped me were Virmach, Lightsail, DataIdeas, and NexusBytes (if I'm remembering correctly).

Thanked by 2risharde greentea
  • mekrmekr Member

@Advin said:
    I haven't really encountered many providers that have stopped me for CPU abuse, and sometimes I run some fairly heavy CPU-intensive tasks. Only providers that have actually stopped me were Virmach, Lightsail, DataIdeas, and NexusBytes (if I'm remembering correctly).

Providers usually throttle the VPS rather than shutdown completely. However, I would like to avoid such scenarios.

• QuantumCoreQuantumCore Member, Host Rep

We don't throttle our VPS plans, we allow you to use a full core on the host node per virtual core that your VPS has. Also, we use enterprise NVMe in RAID so your disk activity should be fine.

We only ever have an issue when a user's usage affects other users on the same host node. We don't oversell our nodes though so I don't believe we've ever had to warn a user for their usage.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@mekr said:

@Advin said:

Providers usually throttle the VPS rather than shutdown completely. However, I would like to avoid such scenarios.

All of the providers I've listed (other than Lightsail) shut down the VPS completely iirc

Thanked by 1greentea
  • ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited April 2022

Use a cloud provider (AWS/GCP/etc.) and use their "Spot" instances, great for temporary compute.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @ehhthing said:
    Use a cloud provider (AWS/GCP/etc.) and use their "Spot" instances, great for temporary compute.

Yeah but you get billed for disk I/O. Good luck with that