Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best self cloud hosting application
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best self cloud hosting application

I am talking about stuff like nextcloud, seafile, pydio (not sure about this one), etc.
Which according to you is the best solution? I personally love to use nextcloud but am open to try out new things too! You can provide your suggestions/what you use for your cloud storage management. Again I'm talking about self hosting not cloud hosting providers like google drive, onedrive and dropbox.

Comments

• NextCloud is loaded with features while Seafile is lighter and perform file-syncing faster.

If you need the additional features, go with NC. However, if you simply need a file-syncing solution then you should give Seafile a try.

• tmepytmepy Member

@Server said:
    NextCloud is loaded with features while Seafile is lighter and perform file-syncing faster.

If you need the additional features, go with NC. However, if you simply need a file-syncing solution then you should give Seafile a try.

Thanks. I think I might end up with Seafile just because I need a faster and lightweight program and its just for me and my family :smile:

• titustitus Member

+1 for OwnCloud / NextCloud

Thanked by 1tmepy
  • If you just care about syncing and office documents editing at the most, then go with Seafile. It's by far the fastest centralized file syncing solution available (if you don't need centralized then Resilio Sync is the fastest).

If you want more features then Nextcloud is hard to beat.

Thanked by 2tmepy proxima
  • TejyTejy Member

Alist is the best option when dealing with multiple storage backends (S3, onedrive, ftp, etc)!

• @Tejy said:
    Alist is the best option when dealing with multiple storage backends (S3, onedrive, ftp, etc)!

This? https://github.com/Xhofe/alist
    Never heard of it before.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • TejyTejy Member

@vitobotta said:

@Tejy said:

Yes. Works well, and tested with Alibaba OSS and Scaleway S3.

Thanked by 1proxima
  • @Tejy said:

@vitobotta said:

@Tejy said:

Yes. Works well, and tested with Alibaba OSS and Scaleway S3.

But it's just a file manager? It doesn't look very useful from what I see

• tmepytmepy Member

@vitobotta said:
    If you just care about syncing and office documents editing at the most, then go with Seafile. It's by far the fastest centralized file syncing solution available (if you don't need centralized then Resilio Sync is the fastest).

If you want more features then Nextcloud is hard to beat.

Thanks, I will try out Seafile. I have been using NextCloud but since my home server is not very powerful as of now I will be trying out seafile

• Owncloud hands down

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited May 2022

IMO Seafile is the best

• Their Windows and Mac syncing app ("SeaDrive") is very good, and at least the Windows one (not sure about the MacOS one) has the option to only download files as-needed rather than syncing everything, using Microsoft's official cloud files API (the same API that OneDrive uses).
    • Very reliable. I've never seen it break at all. Syncing always works perfectly, downloads from the web UI always work perfectly too.
    • Syncing is fast. The core is written in the C programming language.
    • It can sync just the changes in a file (delta sync). Owncloud added this but it's not as reliable.
    • Because of how it stores files internally, it has a checksum of every block of data and can detect file corruption even if running on a file system that doesn't natively support it (like ext4). This is very very useful when the disk is corrupted in some way. It gives you a list of all the files that are corrupted and can replace them with 0 byte placeholders if they're not repairable. https://manual.seafile.com/maintain/seafile_fsck/

If you don't need central storage (i.e. peer-to-peer between all client devices is fine) then SyncThing is also a great option. I like storing things centrally since it makes it easy to back up everything. You can emulate central storage by adding a server as a peer, but it's not as good as something explicitly designed for it.

• i am using Seafile and I am more that satisfy with that
    basically we got literally no problem with that

• 30033003 Member

Personally using nextcloud, saving files directly to google drive with rclone

• dosaidosai Member

@TomGould said:
    i am using Seafile and I am more that satisfy with that
    basically we got literally no problem with that

Are you using seafile via docker by any chance? If yes, could you share your compose yml? I keep getting Internal server error tried to change base url and everything but no luck.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

been using nextcloud for my business for 5 years now its great Highly reccomend it

• TomGouldTomGould Member
    edited May 2022

@Daniel15 said:
    IMO Seafile is the best

• Their Windows and Mac syncing app ("SeaDrive") is very good, and at least the Windows one (not sure about the MacOS one) has the option to only download files as-needed rather than syncing everything, using Microsoft's official cloud files API (the same API that OneDrive uses).
    • Very reliable. I've never seen it break at all. Syncing always works perfectly, downloads from the web UI always work perfectly too.
    • Syncing is fast. The core is written in the C programming language.
    • It can sync just the changes in a file (delta sync). Owncloud added this but it's not as reliable.
    • Because of how it stores files internally, it has a checksum of every block of data and can detect file corruption even if running on a file system that doesn't natively support it (like ext4). This is very very useful when the disk is corrupted in some way. It gives you a list of all the files that are corrupted and can replace them with 0 byte placeholders if they're not repairable. https://manual.seafile.com/maintain/seafile_fsck/

If you don't need central storage (i.e. peer-to-peer between all client devices is fine) then SyncThing is also a great option. I like storing things centrally since it makes it easy to back up everything. You can emulate central storage by adding a server as a peer, but it's not as good as something explicitly designed for it.

That's a great guide and advice
    You should just follow them, that helped me

Mod edit (angstrom): Deleted link-spam inserted by this spammer and restored original link. (Have also banned this clown)

Thanked by 1WebSSD