Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rejoice! MetalVPS Is Here! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rejoice! MetalVPS Is Here!

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@Nekki said: This is a nice little community project for like-minded folks. It’s clearly not intended to be mass-market or compete with anything else offered on LET. IMO shouldn’t even require a provider tag to be offered here as it’s so far outside the realm of anything else, but you just know that someone would be a bitch about it.

It’s fun. It ain’t for me, but it’s much more interesting than the majority of offers on LET lately.

Exactly! :)

Well . . . it is intended to compete with everything else offered here on LET. Sort of. Maybe. Perhaps. :)

@jbiloh said: Not a bad platform. Even today.

Darkstar is a dual processor machine, so there are a lot of cores. Sixteen. And, as I was saying above, the SSDs are fast like RAM. There's a lot of RAM too, 48GB. And Darkstar is colocated with @Ian_Dot_Tech, who is a good guy.

Thank you, Jon, for your support of MetalVPS! <3

Thanked by 1Ian_Dot_Tech

@SP said: Do you own the enclosure, or are you just renting one of the blades?

I own the blade, but not the enclosure.

At some point before too long, I probably want to buy at least one more server, maybe several, plus also a router. Maybe something already coloed somewhere. I will still keep Darkstar! :)

• yabs?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@zed said:
    not a situation im interested in but you might consider a tl;dr at top or bottom with specifics cuz your creative writing is awesome but im not parsing 12 paragraphs of prose trying to find price/resources ever again.

Hi @zed!

You might like the MetalVPS website! The price and the resources are right at the top!

MetalVPS.com also has this very cool and very fun animate on scroll Javascript as suggested to me by @quangthang, so definitely worth a quick look for those who haven't seen AOS before!

Sometimes, when I read something that's long, I read the last few lines right after I read the beginning.

Best wishes from Mexico! 🌎🌍

@Peppery9 said:
    yabs?

root@darkstar:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-02-18                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Wed Apr 13 21:40:44 UTC 2022

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5630  @ 2.13GHz
    CPU cores  : 16 @ 2133.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 47.1 GiB
    Swap       : 48.0 GiB
    Disk       : 317.8 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 52.50 MB/s   (13.1k) | 163.10 MB/s   (2.5k)
    Write      | 52.58 MB/s   (13.1k) | 163.96 MB/s   (2.5k)
    Total      | 105.08 MB/s  (26.2k) | 327.06 MB/s   (5.1k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 197.22 MB/s    (385) | 223.25 MB/s    (218)
    Write      | 207.70 MB/s    (405) | 238.11 MB/s    (232)
    Total      | 404.93 MB/s    (790) | 461.36 MB/s    (450)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 869 Mbits/sec   | 178 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | busy           
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 842 Mbits/sec   | 198 Mbits/sec  
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 649 Mbits/sec   | 422 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 637 Mbits/sec   | 47.9 Mbits/sec 
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 917 Mbits/sec   | 557 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 925 Mbits/sec   | 801 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | busy           

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 857 Mbits/sec   | 405 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 858 Mbits/sec   | 562 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 843 Mbits/sec   | 387 Mbits/sec  
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 738 Mbits/sec   | 406 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 907 Mbits/sec   | 901 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 910 Mbits/sec   | 790 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 414                           
    Multi Core      | 3465                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/14298861

root@darkstar:~# 

Looks like I misremembered the single core GB5 performance! I think the AX101 was about 1650 and the free Oracle Ampere was about 800?

Well, running the test again is better than trusting my memory! Thanks for asking @Peppery9! :)

Thanked by 1Peppery9
  • ErisaErisa Member

@Not_Oles said: Darkstar's drives are really fast! I compared compiling Qemu on a RAM based filesystem, and it didn't seem any faster than not using a RAM based file system. I am guessing, but I haven't checked, that Darkstar's hardware RAID might have a RAM cache? Dunno. . . . Haha, clueless™! :)

The Linux kernel has its own I/O cache based on RAM.

But more importantly, when you compile Qemu you are not going to be bottlenecked by disk speed. This is why you saw no difference, not any other reason.

The YABS in this thread shows the disk is.. distinctly average at best. Which is fine.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:

@risharde said:

@Not_Oles said:
    Yes, accounts are on one bare metal server; accounts are on the metal; and most neighbors have root privileges. Thanks for your question! Best wishes! :)

But wouldn't they be able to crash the system if they have root access? I understand the shells part but that part I don't particularly understand (are you basing that on trust or do you have some kind of failsafe implemented)?

Reminds me of the 90s btw when she'll accounts were the craze and it was too expensive to own a vps or server

Hi @risharde!

Yes, it's a trust based system. We depend on our Neighbors!

Why use bare metal? Here are a couple of examples:

• There is a steadily decreasing but still significant speed penalty for virtualization. If you want to compile something, or accomplish lots of other compute intensive tasks, why not do so on the metal rather than inside KVM?

What are you considering "significant", because it's generally considered NOT significant e.g. 2-8%) on modern CPU's. I know my VM's boot up and shut down waaaay faster in a VM than bare metal. There's benchmarks of Windows virtualized WSL2 running tasks faster than several bare metal Linux running on same hardware.

If people really cared about squeezing out every last drop of performance, we'd all be running Intel Clear Linux.

I stopped using hardware that's faster than a L5630 years ago. I think there's lots of people who will not even do Intel E3's anymore after having Ryzen.

I could only think reliable power, fast internet and high uptime would be reasons someone might pay for this instead of a sub $100 rpi, embedded device or just a plain old retired desktop that sits in a closet.

I dunno. The nature of this seems to only be useful for abuse.

• @Not_Oles said:

@jbiloh said: Not a bad platform. Even today.

Darkstar is a dual processor machine, so there are a lot of cores. Sixteen. And, as I was saying above, the SSDs are fast like RAM. There's a lot of RAM too, 48GB. And Darkstar is colocated with @Ian_Dot_Tech, who is a good guy.

Thank you, Jon, for your support of MetalVPS! <3

Threads are not cores and are not equal in performance to a core. You even state such in OP.

• Layer03Layer03 Member, Host Rep

@Not_Oles said:

@zed said:
    not a situation im interested in but you might consider a tl;dr at top or bottom with specifics cuz your creative writing is awesome but im not parsing 12 paragraphs of prose trying to find price/resources ever again.

Hi @zed!

You might like the MetalVPS website! The price and the resources are right at the top!

MetalVPS.com also has this very cool and very fun animate on scroll Javascript as suggested to me by @quangthang, so definitely worth a quick look for those who haven't seen AOS before!

Sometimes, when I read something that's long, I read the last few lines right after I read the beginning.

Best wishes from Mexico! 🌎🌍

I love these types of offers, good luck with your project.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@Erisa said:

@Not_Oles said: Darkstar's drives are really fast! I compared compiling Qemu on a RAM based filesystem, and it didn't seem any faster than not using a RAM based file system. I am guessing, but I haven't checked, that Darkstar's hardware RAID might have a RAM cache? Dunno. . . . Haha, clueless™! :)

The Linux kernel has its own I/O cache based on RAM.

But more importantly, when you compile Qemu you are not going to be bottlenecked by disk speed. This is why you saw no difference, not any other reason.

The YABS in this thread shows the disk is.. distinctly average at best. Which is fine.

Hello @Erisa!

Thanks for your helpful comment! A quick Google search showed me a few places I could look for more information about the Linux kernel's I/O cache.

My compiling experience is mostly with spinning rust disks except for the few months I had AX servers at Hetzner. I didn't do much compiling on those servers because I was mostly trying to learn how to install LXC containers and KVM VPSes with Proxmox. Which didn't require compiling.

It does seem to me that Darkstar's disks are faster than the spinning rust disks I had previously. On spinning rust, switching to a RAM disk resulted in faster compiling. Not so with Darkstar. Using a RAM disk seemed to make no difference at all.

To me, it's okay if, as you said, Darkstar's disks are distinctly average.

Best wishes from the Sonoran Desert! 🏜️

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member

@Not_Oles said: It does seem to me that Darkstar's disks are faster than the spinning rust disks I had previously. On spinning rust, switching to a RAM disk resulted in faster compiling. Not so with Darkstar. Using a RAM disk seemed to make no difference at all.

>

Ah right yeah, a HDD may slow you down. I just mean that in terms of SSDs, even a bad one is going to be fine enough for compiling, so it definitely would be something else like the CPU being the bottleneck when doing so.

Also depends on what you're compiling, some of them are more strenuous on disk compared to others.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@Erisa said: Also depends on what you're compiling, some of them are more strenuous on disk compared to others.

Can you please share an example or three: something for which compiling might be low, middle, and highly disk I/O intensive?

Is it as simple as something which has a lot of small files in the source versus something which has big files in the source?

Thanks!

• ErisaErisa Member

@Not_Oles said: Can you please share an example or three: something for which compiling might be low, middle, and highly disk I/O intensive?

No examples I can give off the top of my head, just speaking generally from rough past experience.

@Not_Oles said: Is it as simple as something which has a lot of small files in the source versus something which has big files in the source?

Most likely this is it, though I couldn't say anything for sure.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • I was told when I was young to respect my elders. I was also told to say nothing if I have nothing nice to say. My comment is made with as much respect to those as possible, given the circumstances.

I really think it's good to see different offerings, but oh my goodness, this reminds me of the 90's and that's a good thing. Shell accounts on ancient hardware is one thing.

I found it hilarious when you mentioned the animate on scroll effect on your website, it's such an old guy thing to be impressed about lol :)

I honestly couldn't see why anyone would be paying KS money for this, but clearly someone has, and it's clearly not my thing.

The whole thing just seems so, err, out there, that it's impossible for me to not comment, given my opening statement.

Best of luck @Not_Oles :)

PS are you a Ham by chance? You strike me as the sort of guy who might have a shack full of radios.

@Erisa

Hey! Wow! I just went to look at your lovely website! I really liked the simple, clean design and also the community focus! A real pleasure to see!

By the way, line 92 of the source code to your index page says:

92                online communities.<br>

If you don't mind my asking, how does having that break tag help?

Best wishes from @Not_Oles!

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited April 2022

@Not_Oles said: Hey! Wow! I just went to look at your lovely website! I really liked the simple, clean design and also the community focus! A real pleasure to see!

Thank you. Please keep in mind my website is no longer intentionally linked to my LET profile, and the only reason you were able to find it is likely because you are a moderator.

@Not_Oles said: If you don't mind my asking, how does having that break tag help?

It adds a newline after that line of text, which stops the sentences from looking all squished together on the same line. Whether or not that is desired is up to personal preference, I just like it that way.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@dahartigan said:
    I was told when I was young to respect my elders. I was also told to say nothing if I have nothing nice to say. My comment is made with as much respect to those as possible, given the circumstances.

I really think it's good to see different offerings, but oh my goodness, this reminds me of the 90's and that's a good thing. Shell accounts on ancient hardware is one thing.

I found it hilarious when you mentioned the animate on scroll effect on your website, it's such an old guy thing to be impressed about lol :)

I honestly couldn't see why anyone would be paying KS money for this, but clearly someone has, and it's clearly not my thing.

The whole thing just seems so, err, out there, that it's impossible for me to not comment, given my opening statement.

Best of luck @Not_Oles :)

PS are you a Ham by chance? You strike me as the sort of guy who might have a shack full of radios.

Hey! 73 Buddy! Wanna send me a QSL? Are they still a thing? My ham days were with vacuum tubes! That was awhile ago! Hail the 6146!

I had a friend whose father was a ham and an EE. The father had all this super fancy Collins shit equipment. And RTTY. And a Questar telescope. And even an airplane, which also had Collins! He let me play with everything! He was so nice to me. His wife, too.

KS

Good luck with OVH! :)

Thanked by 1dahartigan

Something I forgot to add to the OP is a section on financial transparency. So, please let me add a few items.

Darkstar cost $30 to buy.

Darkstar costs $30 per month to colocate. I always pay a month in advance. So the first payment was two months. Since then the deposit has been replenished the same day or the day after it is applied to each month's billing. Paying a month in advance is one of my ways of trying to be nice to my provider, Ian, who tries to be nice to me. Thanks, Ian!

Right now there are four MetalVPSians, including me. One doesn't pay. Another got a discounted annual rate at his request. And a third has paid $20.22 every once in awhile, the last time on January 1.

I distrust annual rates because too much can change. It's hard to predict a month, let alone a year or even more!

The $20.22 monthly rate is partly a joke based on the date. We had a $0.01 raise this year, and might have another $0.01 next year (But I can't predict!).

Another reason behind the $20.22 monthly rate has to do with "entitlement." My limited experience selling VPSes suggests that those who pay $10.00 perhaps seem to feel more entitled than those who pay $20.00. Of course, everyone is entitled to the best of everything, but that's different than some of us, who, like myself, very frequently "feel entitled."

Best wishes and friendly greetings! 🗽🇺🇸🇲🇽🏜️

Thank you. Please keep in mind my website is no longer intentionally linked to my LET profile, and the only reason you were able to find it is likely because you are a moderator.

Oh my! Sorry! I goofed!

I guess I need a second account which is not a mod so I can check.

Many apologies! <3

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Erisa said:

@Not_Oles said: Hey! Wow! I just went to look at your lovely website! I really liked the simple, clean design and also the community focus! A real pleasure to see!

Or if we remember your website.

@Not_Oles said:
    Right now there are four MetalVPSians, including me. One doesn't pay. Another got a discounted annual rate at his request. And a third has paid $20.22 every once in awhile, the last time on January 1.

MetalVPS is also one of few providers that accept push-ups as recurring payment.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles Erisa

@yoursunny said: MetalVPS is also one of few providers that accept push-ups as recurring payment.

MetalVPS used to accept push-ups! Nobody has inquired about or offered payment in push-ups for awhile. I don't know the current international exchange rates for push-up payments. :)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited April 2022

@Not_Oles

So, if I got that right, you sell a shell account on a smallish stone-age server and the right to create a not or vaguely defined number of LXCs and KVM VPSs with not or vaguely defined resources on a box with multiple unknown (to the buyer/customer) persons having root access and without any SLAs for ca. $20 per month?

If I got that about right, good luck.

• bdlbdl Member

@dahartigan said:

... or a back shed full of ham (of the pork kind) @Not_Oles :D :D :D

• @jsg said:
    @Not_Oles

So, if I got that right, you sell a shell account on a smallish stone-age server and the right to create a not or vaguely defined number of LXCs and KVM VPSs with not or vaguely defined resources on a box with multiple unknown (to the buyer/customer) persons having root access and without any SLAs for ca. $20 per month?

Imagine if the weasel were to get on that box.. good lord.

Thanked by 2jsg Erisa
  • @dahartigan said:

@jsg said:
    @Not_Oles

Imagine if the weasel were to get on that box.. good lord.

Sudo rm -rf and the fun is over.

Seriously, verify who you give the root access to xD

Thanked by 2dahartigan Layer03

@jsg said:
    @Not_Oles

Hello!

Thank you for commenting! Thank you for the good luck wishes!

When I was preparing for my job as Content Creator for Low End Box I was fascinated to see your interview at https://lowendbox.com/blog/interview-qa-with-lowendtalk-member-jsg/ If I were making a list of recommended reading for new LEB/LET members I'd put that interview on the list.

About the "unknown to the buyer/customer persons having root access:" every Darkstar neighbor has read access to the list in the "etc" directory of members of the "wheel" group. So it doesn't seem completely unknown who has root access.

Interestingly I tried to insert some code into this post to demonstrate how a Darkstar neighbor could see who has root access. Cloudflare blocked my attempt to post containing the code. It was just a simple grep for "wheel" in the "group" file in the "etc" directory. FWIW, I have a screenshot. @jbiloh

Best wishes and kindest regards! 🚀🐢

Tom

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Not_Oles said:

@Nekki said: This is a nice little community project for like-minded folks. It’s clearly not intended to be mass-market or compete with anything else offered on LET. IMO shouldn’t even require a provider tag to be offered here as it’s so far outside the realm of anything else, but you just know that someone would be a bitch about it.

It’s fun. It ain’t for me, but it’s much more interesting than the majority of offers on LET lately.

Exactly! :)

Well . . . it is intended to compete with everything else offered here on LET. Sort of. Maybe. Perhaps. :)

You post like you’re completely off your tits all the time.

Thanked by 2jsg adly
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Not_Oles said:

@yoursunny said: MetalVPS is also one of few providers that accept push-ups as recurring payment.

MetalVPS used to accept push-ups! Nobody has inquired about or offered payment in push-ups for awhile. I don't know the current international exchange rates for push-up payments. :)

Exchange rates:

• 2 situps = 1 push-up
    • 2 push-ups = 1 squat
    • 2 squats = 1 burpee

Past offers / transactions:

• 7 push-ups = .top domain for 3 weeks
    • 15 push-ups = RackNerd backpack
    • 45 push-ups = WebHorizon 1GB KVM for 6 months
    • 269 push-ups = 26.9% off recurring coupon from NexusBytes
    • 1000 push-ups = 200% off one time coupon from NexusBytes
    Thanked by 2kevertje Not_Oles
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Not_Oles said: Interestingly I tried to insert some code into this post to demonstrate how a Darkstar neighbor could see who has root access. Cloudflare blocked my attempt to post containing the code. It was just a simple grep for "wheel" in the "group" file in the "etc" directory. FWIW, I have a screenshot. @jbiloh

If you try again it should work now.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles