Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM: 100Mbps @ 4GB and 1000Mps @ 8GB, can be used at max speed all the time?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM: 100Mbps @ 4GB and 1000Mps @ 8GB, can be used at max speed all the time?

The title says it all.

I have found bits of information here and there over the years but I have never read a definitive confirmation from @Francisco .

My understanding is that slices under 4GB cannot fully use the 100Mbps bandwidth. I guess you can burst, but you cannot use 100Mbps consistently. You would need at least a 4GB slice to use 100Mbps like it was a dedicated unthrottled port. Is that the case? Is it a problem to use 100Mbps ALL the time on a 4GB slice? That would amount to about 31TB of data usage per month. That's okay?

And what about the High Volume Plans? If I get an 8GB slice, can I use 1000Mbps continuously (about 313TB per month)?

I would use the slice for backups, plex, VPN, etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• jahrincjahrinc Member
    edited April 2022

@rackabuser said: If I get an 8GB slice

You need the 32GB plan to use the full 1000Mbps 24x7.

I'm not sure what kinda math you are doing by assuming that by paying an extra $15 per month would allow you to use the full port 24x7, when you clearly state that every 4GB you can use 100Mbps consistently 24x7.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Our rule of thumb is 100mb/sec 24/7 for every 4gb ram. There’s room to burst or use more, but if we find a 1gb user rimming a gig for days on end to google drive or something we do cap users down.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Our rule of thumb is 100mb/sec 24/7 for every 4gb ram. There’s room to burst or use more, but if we find a 1gb user rimming a gig for days on end to google drive or something we do cap users down.

Francisco

That is a very clear answer. Thank you very much!

• @jahrinc said:

@rackabuser said: If I get an 8GB slice

You need the 32GB plan to use the full 1000Mbps.

I'm not sure what kinda math you are doing by assuming that by paying an extra $15 per month would allow you to use the full port 24x7, when you clearly state that every 4GB you can use 100Mbps consistently 24x7.

Are you sure about your math? :wink:

• jahrincjahrinc Member
    edited April 2022

@rackabuser said: Are you sure about your math?

I didn't do any math because I already know the answer as I already have multiple 32GBs plans, and its a subject that has been repeated over 1000 times on the forum and their discord.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • Can I use my car at full speed all the time?

• @jahrinc said:

@rackabuser said: Are you sure about your math?

I didn't do any math because I already know the answer as I already have multiple 32GBs plans, and its a subject that has been repeated over 1000 times on the forum and their discord.

So, it wasn't about math?

Thanks for the information. You clarified things.

• @rackabuser said:

Thanks!

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

Thanked by 2lentro vedran
  • for that price you can easily get a decent dedi with unlimited 1gbps. somethings up here. i smell a weasel.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @cybertech said:
    for that price you can easily get a decent dedi with unlimited 1gbps. somethings up here. i smell a weasel.

A lot of people use Fran for the block storage slabs + the DDoS protection. Perfectly reasonable to get a nice Ryzen VM over an ancient e3 dedi, especially with those added benefits. There's also some other goodies that you don't get with most cheap dedi hosts, like BGP and anycasting.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @duckeeyuck said:
    Can I use my car at full speed all the time?

Are you driving on a NASCAR track?> @cybertech said:

for that price you can easily get a decent dedi with unlimited 1gbps. somethings up here. i smell a weasel.

I would be interested to learn where I can such a deal.

We are talking about 20$US, right? Are you talking about Kimsufi?

• @TimboJones said:

@rackabuser said:

Thanks!

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

What do you have in mind? You might give me ideas.

• @duckeeyuck said:
    Can I use my car at full speed all the time?

• I'm on 1GB / $3.50 per month plan and this is my daily usage, so I'm exceeding :neutral:

Thanked by 1SinV
  • @Roldan said:
    I'm on 1GB / $3.50 per month plan and this is my daily usage, so I'm exceeding :neutral:

And I’m a fool, I’m modest, I save resources so that most of the time I don’t interfere with my neighbors. This is probably how balance is achieved)

Thanked by 2skorous PearlMoon
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@Roldan said:
    I'm on 1GB / $3.50 per month plan and this is my daily usage, so I'm exceeding :neutral:

so you're the reason i have 20% cpu steal at any given time

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited April 2022

@Francisco said:

Francisco

MB or Mb (Mbit) ?

Thanks Chief

• VayVayKaVayVayKa Member
    edited April 2022

@Hxxx said: MB or Mb (Mbit) ?

Obviously in megabits

@bruh21 said: so you're the reason i have 20% cpu steal at any given time

I'm more fortunate, I'm not on the same host with him)

@VayVayKa said:

@Hxxx said: MB or Mb (Mbit) ?

Obviously in megabits

@bruh21 said: so you're the reason i have 20% cpu steal at any given time

I'm more fortunate, I'm not on the same host with him)

The only time there should be any steal is if someone is speed capped and is slapping their cap pretty hard. That, or the CPU's overheating.

We've done a few board/CPU swaps in NY due to them overheating. These 3900x's are great CPU's but absolutely roast.

Francisco

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@rackabuser said:
    The title says it all.

Congrats on your first post

And three BuyVM threads so quickly -- you don't dillydally, do you? B)

Thanked by 2skorous rackabuser
  • @Francisco said: The only time there should be any steal is if someone is speed capped and is slapping their cap pretty hard. That, or the CPU's overheating.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm more than satisfied with everything)

When I took Intel a couple of years ago for a month, I was satisfied, and even more so with Ryzen;)

Thanked by 1Francisco

@VayVayKa said:

@Francisco said: The only time there should be any steal is if someone is speed capped and is slapping their cap pretty hard. That, or the CPU's overheating.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm more than satisfied with everything)

When I took Intel a couple of years ago for a month, I was satisfied, and even more so with Ryzen;)

Not taking offense, just want to make sure things are good :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1VayVayKa
  • miaumiau Member
    edited April 2022

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Wait I'm so confused rn. I've been using BuyVM for years and never knew about this specific rule.

Around once a month, I would have a session where I would download around 80-100gb from my 1gb box in one go, and the same amount uploaded the next day. Fully utilizing what my home ISP bandwidth to LV capable of, usually around 27MB/s (~220mbps);
    So the whole download/upload would take a while too long to be called a short burst.

Is my account in danger of getting speed limit?

@miau said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Wait I'm so confused rn. I've been using BuyVM for years and never knew about this specific rule.

Every few days in a month, I would have a session where I would download around 80-100gb from my 1gb box in one go, fully utilizing what my home ISP bandwidth to LV capable of, usually around 27MB/s (~220mbps); So the whole download would take a while too long to be called a short burst.

Very unlikely.

The caps are put in place for obvious abuse, not for 'i spiked for the evening during backups/etc'.

We're talking users that signup and instantly push 1Gbit/sec 24/7 for days at a time to google/etc, while on a $2 or $3.50/month service.

We're working to greatly increase our network capacity and hopefully start offering burstable 2.5Gbit/10gbit port options on bigger plans.

Francisco

• miaumiau Member

@Francisco said:

@miau said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Every few days in a month, I would have a session where I would download around 80-100gb from my 1gb box in one go, fully utilizing what my home ISP bandwidth to LV capable of, usually around 27MB/s (~220mbps); So the whole download would take a while too long to be called a short burst.

Very unlikely.

The caps are put in place for obvious abuse, not for 'i spiked for the evening during backups/etc'.

We're talking users that signup and instantly push 1Gbit/sec 24/7 for days at a time to google/etc, while on a $2 or $3.50/month service.

We're working to greatly increase our network capacity and hopefully start offering burstable 2.5Gbit/10gbit port options on bigger plans.

Francisco

ah. good to hear. I was worried for for some time when I actually checked htop dring the transfer, the avg load was not pretty at all 😅

• @angstrom said:

@rackabuser said:
    The title says it all.

Congrats on your first post

And three BuyVM threads so quickly -- you don't dillydally, do you? B)

I had many questions to ask. I did my research for a couple of days but couldn't get the exact information I was looking for.

I like this community!

• @rackabuser said:

@TimboJones said:

@rackabuser said:

Thanks!

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

What do you have in mind? You might give me ideas.

Delete your LET account. Turn off your computer. Go outside. Seek professional psychological help.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited April 2022

@bruh21 said:

@Roldan said:

so you're the reason i have 20% cpu steal at any given time

I never had issues with CPU steal at BuyVM, but I did have issues with iowait - it wasn't uncommon to see 10-20% iowait. It was solved for a while when they migrated me to a new host machine, but then I started having issues again. I'd guess it was from several people on the same node consistently reading/writing ~20 MB/s like in this screenshot.

@Daniel15 said: I never had issues with CPU steal at BuyVM, but I did have issues with iowait - it wasn't uncommon to see 10-20% iowait. It was solved for a while when they migrated me to a new host machine, but then I started having issues again. I'd guess it was from several people on the same node consistently reading/writing ~20 MB/s like in this screenshot.

>

Possible, should just ask. We've had some NVMe's start to slow down so we've been swapping them out when we find it :)

Francisco

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited April 2022

@Francisco said: Possible, should just ask. We've had some NVMe's start to slow down so we've been swapping them out when we find it :)

The new node worked well for a while, so I was happy with that. I ended up migrating away from BuyVM right when iowait started going up again. (unrelated reason - just wanted to consolidate some of my VPSes so I moved everything on the 4GB RAM BuyVM and some other 0.5-1GB RAM VPSes onto one VPS with 10GB RAM at another provider)