Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutorial / Script : 3proxy "elite" anonymous HTTP proxy with authentication Debian / Ubuntu install
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tutorial / Script : 3proxy "elite" anonymous HTTP proxy with authentication Debian / Ubuntu install

Hello guys,

I've written a small script, which is pretty close to a tutorial to install 3proxy as an elite / anonymous HTTP proxy with ssl support. That kind of thing is HORRIBLE to obtain with Squid3, especially on Debian and for some weird reason I couldn't make any of the existing script (some lowendbox scripts from github have the option to install 3proxy but it never worked for me...).

I still don't understand why VPS providers don't provide a "turnkey" proxy package as many people in the SEO industry have to buy "elite proxy" overly priced just to scrape some data from google & co. what any small VPS could easily do, and a lot more reliably.

Here is the script, feel free to comment I'm definitely not a linux ninja ;-)

https://github.com/benjamin74/3proxy

Cheers,

Thanked by 2k0nsl NanoG6

Comments

• Tested it on my wheezy box, can confirm that it works, but it can only parse lame passwords - such as letters and numbers, but that's not a fault of yours, of course!
    Thanks, Benjamin.

• WOW, it's easy to setup, done in about 5 minutes.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2013

Google is showing my real IP

DNS leak test: https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ shows real dns server

IP Chicken shows IP of proxy server

clean install ubuntu 13.10

• I got it working, i am using maraDNS for ad filting.

• thanks for this, have a happy holiday.

• @benjamin74 said:
    Hello guys,
    I still don't understand why VPS providers don't provide a "turnkey" proxy package as many people in the SEO industry have to buy "elite proxy" overly priced just to scrape some data from google & co. what any small VPS could easily do, and a lot more reliably.

Haha TrustedProxies comes to mind ;)

• thank you for tutorial
    it's great

• i have problem with this script after install and reboot , my server was unreachable , ssh also refuse connection

• 3proxy 0.7 released and available for download. Maybe want to update the script!

• HukumdarHukumdar Member
    edited April 2014

@benjamin74 said:
    Hello guys,

I've written a small script, which is pretty close to a tutorial to install 3proxy as an elite / anonymous HTTP proxy with ssl support. That kind of thing is HORRIBLE to obtain with Squid3, especially on Debian and for some weird reason I couldn't make any of the existing script (some lowendbox scripts from github have the option to install 3proxy but it never worked for me...).

Here is the script, feel free to comment I'm definitely not a linux ninja ;-)

https://github.com/benjamin74/3proxy

Cheers,

This was the easiest proxy setup.Thank you

• sodasoda Member

how do i know that 3proxy will support ssl connection ?!
    Do you know how we can configure 3proxy to support ssl and how to secure our connection with ssl ?

i didnt tested it yet , cause i cant see any SSL configuration in tutorial .

also the last stable version of 3proxy released on their site:
    http://3proxy.ru/0.7/3proxy-0.7.tgz

regards

• AmitzAmitz Member

Please tell an old man what exactly makes a proxy "elite"...

• emreemre Member, LIR

elite means virgin..

• FritzFritz Veteran

any updates on this?

• @Amitz said:
    Please tell an old man what exactly makes a proxy "elite"...

Im curious about the technical information behind that term as well.

• Sounds fun - but if you are going to use a VPS as a proxy why not simply use ssh as a socks proxy? No install needed and pretty secure by default...

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited September 2014

I feel like we're grave digging here.

pcfreak30 said: Im curious about the technical information behind that term as well.

Amitz said: Please tell an old man what exactly makes a proxy "elite"...

There are three "levels" of proxies on the Internet (mostly from the kiddie scripters).

Level 1: Elite, also known as high anonymous proxies will add no information to outgoing headers to identify the original client. This might also mean that the proxy is not blacklisted as a proxy.

Level 2: Anonymous proxies may send header information about being a proxy, but will not send original IP address information of the client.

Level 3: Transparent proxies will send outgoing information that describes the client as going through a proxy, and will also supply IP address information.

• Thanks for this. The biggest benefit for me is that I don't have to signup with a shady proxy provider (sorry but they've all looked kind of shady). I just want to use a proxy for occasional browsing. Renting an IP from a proxy provider usually means getting one already in (forum)spam databases. Like walking into a motel room the maid forgot to clean.

@Fritz said:
    any updates on this?

Just edit the .sh file to include the latest version. But note that the directory it creates is now named 3proxy. It's not a long file so I chose to step through it manually and just use the .sh script as a guide to prevent any errors.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2015

I'd add something like this to choose the correct makefile. I use a bash script already to install 3 proxy (just for HTTP/s)

if test $(uname) = "Linux" then make -f Makefile.Linux else make -f Makefile.unix fi

• Hey, created a deb package a little while ago for 3proxy 7.1.1 (no need to compile it). It works on Ubuntu, don't remember about Debian (might be packaged with Upstart scripts, but init are easy enough to find). It was built with Canonical's Launchpad build servers (so 32/64 bit packages).

https://launchpad.net/~silvenga/+archive/ubuntu/3proxy

• alas, no ipv6 support. other than that 3proxy is kickass. very low memory usage too

• They do have limited IPv6 support, see the comments on their message board.

Hope it doesn't break with HTTP 2.

• @ricardo said:
    They do have limited IPv6 support, see the comments on their message board.

Hope it doesn't break with HTTP 2.

yes i tried their beta version with ipv6, but thats only for internal interface, not external

• this is a great tutorial. nice write !. Thank you

• Anyone have a modern day solution for this or does this still work.

• RizRiz Member

@moofasa should work still. I have a few systems still running as proxies fine.

• @Riz said:
    moofasa should work still. I have a few systems still running as proxies fine.

Thanks

While it may work the script is pulling a very old version.

wget http://3proxy.ru/0.6.1/3proxy-0.6.1.tgz while 0.7.1 onward is out.