Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Domain e-mail provider (E2E and at-rest encryption).
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Domain e-mail provider (E2E and at-rest encryption).

5GB at USD 20 per year.

Comments

• I don't think you can get what you want at that price, unless you run into a promotion. :)

If you find one at that price, I want it also.

• You should run your own MTA + MDA on a cheap VPS. Use something like OpenSMTPd, Exim, or Postfix + Dovecot.

• at rest encryption is pretty expensive. hushmail, protonmail, startmail, they have this feature, but it's out of your bg.

• zulaikazulaika Member
    edited April 2022

@frakass said:
    at rest encryption is pretty expensive. hushmail, protonmail, startmail, they have this feature, but it's out of your bg.

No, do not suggest this. Protonmail, etc., hold the PGP key, and you will not have SMTP/IMAP access. Their interfaces are clunky as well.

Email, by design, in most cases, will be sent in plain-text (though, TLS is used sometimes) to another server. You should be doing the encryption with your email client.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • utfutf Member

@zulaika said:

@frakass said:
    at rest encryption is pretty expensive. hushmail, protonmail, startmail, they have this feature, but it's out of your bg.

No, do not suggest this. Protonmail, etc., hold the PGP key, and you will not have SMTP/IMAP access. Their interfaces are clunky as well.

Email, by design, in most cases, will be sent in plain-text (though, TLS is used sometimes) to another server. You should be doing the encryption with your email client.

As I know protonmail supports smtp/imap on paid version.

• zulaikazulaika Member
    edited April 2022

@utf said:

@zulaika said:

@frakass said:

As I know protonmail supports smtp/imap on paid version.

No

This is a lie, it is a "bridge" between their poorly made HTTP-based backend. Hell, if you try and use the bridge, you'll find that it's unusable. They don't implement SMTP/IMAP properly.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Becomeanvillain said:
    5GB at USD 20 per year.

Good luck with your budget

Congrats on your first post

• I became curious in this for myself to get secure email.

Cheapest company I can find is mailfence at around $35ish/yr for 5gb.

My only issue is the servers are stored in Belgium, which is great for legal stuff I suppose.

This is some cool stuff I read

All of the encryption/decryption process happens on the front-end (in your browser) using an opensource and security-audited library. The derived symmetric key is never shared with the back-end, thereby maintaining a zero-knowledge framework.

We mandate all connections to our servers via Transport Layer Security (SSL/TLS) encryption, both for web services and IMAP / POP / SMTP email client access.

Anyone here have experience with them?

Sorry if it seems like I hijacked your post OP, but we are looking for same thing, so not so bad.

• Ctemplar, Soverin

• @iNanja I don't mind, the more the merrier.

@angstrom Thank you. If you know what an appropriate budget or most amount of space for the money would be I would appreciate the information.

@zulaika What host would you recommend for mail storage? How much work is it to self-host email?