Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people steal others TOS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do people steal others TOS?

NickPNickP Member
edited March 2012 in Providers

Hello,

I've been going through providers and noticed a ton of people steal others terms of service. [Removed example] In a customers point of view it is a bit low to steal a formal document and change minor things.

So to the hosts why do people steal others documents just out of pure laziness or what?

Comments

• And I thought VPS6 had a bit of decent hosty-ness (is that a word?) in them.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited March 2012

Such always-repeating legal documents are often just licensed by lawyers who sell them to many different hosting companies, why would every company write an own one?

http://hostechsupport.com/index.php?file=TOS

http://www.ezforexhost.com/terms-of-service.html

http://www.adhost.com/service-agreement

You will find many many more similar ones

• NickPNickP Member
    edited March 2012

@DepotVPS_Shane said: And I thought VPS6 had a bit of decent hosty-ness (is that a word?) in them.

I did to I was looking forward to possibly signing up, but after that it just makes me want to think it over again.

• Ours isn't copied word-for-word, but it takes points from a lot of other provider's TOS.

"Oh, that looks like a good point, I should add it to ours." No need to reinvent the wheel.

• It's probably from a template generator. Take any line from those terms and search for them in Google. There are thousands of exact matches.

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q="regulations+including,+but+not+limited+to,+the+installation+or+distribution+of+"pirated""

• NickPNickP Member

@Damian said: Ours isn't copied word-for-word, but it takes points from a lot of other provider's TOS.

+1 when I wrote one I did that. Just when you can copy the first sentence of a TOS and find others hosts using it IMO it lowers my respect of the company (unless I know for sure they wrote it)

• NickPNickP Member

@subigo said: It's probably from a template generator. Take any line from those terms and search for them in Google. There are thousands of exact matches.

Hmm quite true.

• NickPNickP Member

Removed the example because I believe subigo was right about that.

• I suppose the real difference is if the company knows what they're copy/pasting. For example, I know what's in ours, because I wrote most of it, and I bring up points of it when policing users.

A VPS host that I recently cancelled my service with did not seem to know what was in their own TOS, that they required that I agree to when I signed up. It was disappointing.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@Damian said: I suppose the real difference is if the company knows what they're copy/pasting.

Exactly! :) Sometimes we see funny contradicting things like host allow IRCd but don't allow IRC processes including irc daemons.

Imho. it's always good to check TOS of your uplink (datacenter) and then also consult with lawyer familair with your local legislation (something what most hosts don't bothers with, I believe).

• I've offered this before on a much older thread: I generally don't mind folks using a variant of our own TOS, so long as they just ask first. I'm even willing to provide tips/pointers/advice to folks unsure about the process, or what they should/shouldn't include.

• NickMNickM Member
    edited March 2012

I remember a host featured on LEB a while back that specifically said "No perl scripts of any kind allowed" or something like that. I always look at the TOS to see if the provider has half a clue... if it's filled with crap like that, I stay away.

• Hah, probably a nuclear response to the minor issue of flood.pl, etc.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • vps6netvps6net Member
    edited March 2012

@NickP Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but did you find some ToS that is a duplicate of ours?

• @Aldryic said: Hah, probably a nuclear response to the minor issue of flood.pl, etc

I think I died laughing when I read that.

• @Spirit said: Exactly! :) Sometimes we see funny contradicting things like host allow IRCd but don't allow IRC processes including irc daemons.

:P

• gsxgsx Member

Sometimes its just easy, but sometimes you don't want to miss something. When I wrote the ToS for my business a while back I stole ideas from several major providers.

• @DotVPS said: Who copied who ?

If you paid any attention to the thread such as the Google link a few posts above you'll see it wasn't intentional.

• @DotVPS said: vpsland.com - Creation Date: 2004-08-23

VPS6.net - Creation Date: 2011-07-17

Who copied who ?

I believe it is one of the documents we sourced for our ToS, yes. I think this is very common practice, though, and I don't see a considerable amount of word-for-word overlap between the two where our respective services are concerned. I certainly wouldn't call it "copying," in the way that some hosts simply take an existing document and slap it up as their own -- VPS6.NET's policies have been proofed and tweaked extensively to say what we need them to say. After all, how many ways are there to present a generic Terms of Service for a subscription-based online service?

Thanked by 2Naruto NickP
  • NickPNickP Member

@vps6net said: I believe it is one of the documents we sourced for our ToS, yes. I think this is very common practice, though, and I don't see a considerable amount of word-for-word overlap between the two where our respective services are concerned. I certainly wouldn't call it "copying," in the way that some hosts simply take an existing document and slap it up as their own -- VPS6.NET's policies have been proofed and tweaked extensively to say what we need them to say. After all, how many ways are there to present a generic Terms of Service for a subscription-based online service?

+1. After all if they really wanted to copy them they would have copied the other documents to, but they didn't.

• NickPNickP Member

Just for the record people who saw the comment about VPS6 I did apologize privately and was not trying to stir up any negative remarks nor any drama for them.

• DerekDerek Member
    edited March 2012

My Home Internet ISP goes into every little detail about some stuff.

Posting to Newsgroups

When posting any message to a newsgroup, subscribers are responsible for compliance with the

policies of the newsgroup. Many newsgroups prohibit the posting of advertisements, solicitations,
    other commercial messages, large or binary files, and other material.
    Subscribers may not attempt to circumvent the approval process for posting to a newsgroup. Posting
    the same or similar message to more than 9 newsgroups is prohibited. Flooding or otherwise
    disrupting a newsgroup is prohibited. Disruption is defined as intentionally interfering with the
    normal exchange of messages or information in the group. Non-interactive clients which download
    Usenet articles in bulk are prohibited.
    Buckeye reserves the right to discontinue access to any newsgroup at any time for any reason.

Use of Internet Relay Chat (IRC)**

The Service may be used to participate in "chat" discussions. Buckeye does not normally monitor

chat discussions and is not liable for any communications made via Internet chat.
    The Service may not be used to access a chat server in any manner which is a violation of the
    Acceptable Use Policy of that server. The Service may not be used to manipulate a chat server to
    harass or disconnect other Internet users, or to gain unauthorized privileges.
    Forging, altering, or obscuring identity (other than using a nickname from which Buckeye could, if
    BEX Acceptable Use necessary, determine a real name) while participating in chat sessions is forbidden.
    The Service may not be used to send additional chat messages to an Internet user who has indicated a
    desire to not receive such messages. Sending messages which disrupt another Internet user's
    equipment, including software, hardware, or user display, is a violation of this Policy.
    Flooding of chat discussions is prohibited. No more than two simultaneous chat connections may be
    maintained at one time. Automated programs such as "bots" or "clones" may not be used when the
    account holder is not physically present at the device.

They also provide some of the fastest residential Internet in the country.

http://www.buckeyecablesystem.com/express/index.html @ 110mbps (Me no have, i have cheap :) )

Their latency and AuP/ToS are much more better and intelliget then TimeWarnerCable (TWC).

I should also say that they run a private newsgroup for customers. :)

• Internet Service for Ohio.
    I am in Ohio.

"Were sorry, service is not available for you."
    -.-
    Southwestern Ohio is just Time Warner Cable owned isn't it? AT&T is here, but 12Mbps.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I think its more common with resellers of shared hosting, keeping it simple to copy/paste the TOS/AUP of the company tjat own the server.
    But there are not a great deal of changes that can be made either... Like how many ways are there to write "irc is not allowed" (example)

• I prefer just to get the data-centers TOS/AUP and modify it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2012

Allot of hosts buy a legal template and then just modify areas over time as things change, that's why allot of them look the same its not always a copy and paste.

• @Daniel said: I prefer just to get the data-centers TOS/AUP and modify it.

This is pretty much the best way to go to ensure CYA.

• @Aldryic said: This is pretty much the best way to go to ensure CYA.

CYA?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Daniel said: CYA?

Cover Your Ass

Thanked by 2MrAndroid NickP