Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any users experienced bad lantancy in racknerd?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any users experienced bad lantancy in racknerd?

I know i should submit a ticket, but i have already do that, i want to just ask if any one suffer the same situation with me? SJC node. Experienced 300-1000 ms ping from last month, i was purchased the yearly vps.

Comments

• Enjoy your yearly VPS. You get what you pay for.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Hi @jasonmighty — RackNerd is not experiencing any network issues in San Jose, or any other location of ours. The question you ask is quite broad, as no doubt everyone will have different latency, especially depending on the region you are located in (source) as well the server location (destination). This is the reason why RackNerd offers multiple datacenter locations to choose from, so users can pick the server location that is closest to them (general rule of thumb is to pick the server location that is closest to the majority of your audience) in order to have the most optimal latency possible.

We'd love to see yours, along with a bi-directional MTR to see where the congestion is for you (to see if it is happening on our side, or before it even reaches our network). Feel free to DM me with your source IP as well as an MTR .

• jasonmightyjasonmighty Member
    edited April 2022

@dustinc said:
    Hi @jasonmighty — RackNerd is not experiencing any network issues in San Jose, or any other location of ours. The question you ask is quite broad, as no doubt everyone will have different latency, especially depending on the region you are located in (source) as well the server location (destination). This is the reason why RackNerd offers multiple datacenter locations to choose from, so users can pick the server location that is closest to them (general rule of thumb is to pick the server location that is closest to the majority of your audience) in order to have the most optimal latency possible.

We'd love to see yours, along with a bi-directional MTR to see where the congestion is for you (to see if it is happening on our side, or before it even reaches our network). Feel free to DM me with your source IP as well as an MTR .

I have talked to support staff, they said it is my problem, but i have 6+ vps in california and only rn's one experiencing that. I have nothing to say.
    The connection is from China CM to SJC, i saw network go through COGENT and everything seems wierd. My other cogent vps got 200-220 ping lantancy though. Only racknerd got 300-1000, i done the mtr also. and ssh seems extremely unstable.

• emghemgh Member

@jasonmighty said:

@dustinc said:

I have talked to support staff, they said it is my problem, but i have 6+ vps in california and only rn's one experiencing that. I have nothing to say.
    The connection is from China CM to SJC, i saw network go through COGENT and everything seems wierd. My other cogent vps got 200-220 ping lantancy though. Only racknerd got 300-1000, i done the mtr also. and ssh seems extremely unstable.

No.

//RackNerd

@jasonmighty said:

@dustinc said:

@jasonmighty -- Feel free to DM me with more info, such as your source IP, destination (VPS) IP, MTR, etc, and we can go from there. Perhaps you may want to consider migrating to our Los Angeles DC-02 location as well if you are from China, this location tends to be more asia optimized and we've found that users from your region tend to prefer this location.

• @dustinc said:

@jasonmighty said:

@dustinc said:

@jasonmighty -- Feel free to DM me with more info, such as your source IP, destination (VPS) IP, MTR, etc, and we can go from there. Perhaps you may want to consider migrating to our Los Angeles DC-02 location as well if you are from China, this location tends to be more asia optimized and we've found that users from your region tend to prefer this location.

Would you mind sending me a test IP from LA DC2?

edited April 2022

@jasonmighty said: Would you mind sending me a test IP from LA DC2?

@jasonmighty -- no worries, absolutely :)

Here's our looking glass: https://lg-lax02.racknerd.com/

• @jasonmighty said: China CM

This might be the problem. afaik China traffic is extremely expensive. Add that with multiple (may be hundreds) of Chinese users connecting to the same provider might lead to heavy congestion.

edited April 2022

@sanvit said:

@jasonmighty said: China CM

This might be the problem. afaik China traffic is extremely expensive. Add that with multiple (may be hundreds) of Chinese users connecting to the same provider might lead to heavy congestion.

@sanvit -- Agreed, just for full transparency, there's no perfect network especially for that region (China) where there is naturally a lot of saturation/congestion, alongside other unique issues that are constantly evolving/changing.

No specific carrier is the answer/solution either, that changes from time to time too. For example at one time nearly a dozen years ago, PCCW was the golden star and that is mostly no longer the case today. Even CN2 GIA which is one of the most expensive carriers for that region may not be perfect solution for everyone either. Also - just because latency can appear good now, does not mean it will look good at night US time (which is the peak in China). What I'm trying to emphasize is that network to/from China is a very unique situation - we try our best, though it is a bit difficult to satisfy everyone from China. For example, in one part of China, San Jose or Seattle might be better in terms of latency, but in another part of that region, one may find that Los Angeles DC-02 is better. It's a large country and it largely varies. This is why we also offer a looking glass for users to test latency/routes, and select their desired location. We understand that even with time, that can change, so we try to work with our customers as much as possible (and do what we can within our control).

Anyone within this region that would like to discuss a custom solution, whether that be services in San Jose, Los Angeles, Seattle, etc, or a custom bare metal CN2 GIA solution, we're happy to discuss and cater wherever we can. [email protected]

• jasonmightyjasonmighty Member
    edited April 2022

@dustinc said:

Checked the LG in LAX, can see that it goes through ChinaNet in 202.97 which is much better than SJC now. appreciate your attention and would you mind migrate me there? I have raised the ticket #446808.
    Appreciate your attention to this post.:)

@jasonmighty said:

@dustinc said:

I have checked the LG in LAX, I can see that it goes through ChinaNet in 202.97 which is much better than SJC now. appreciate your attention and would you mind migrate me there? I have raised the ticket #446808.

@jasonmighty -- good to hear!

We'll certainly look into it (based on your plan) and see what can be done :) We will follow up with you via ticket.

• @dustinc said:

@jasonmighty said:

@dustinc said:

I have checked the LG in LAX, I can see that it goes through ChinaNet in 202.97 which is much better than SJC now. appreciate your attention and would you mind migrate me there? I have raised the ticket #446808.

@jasonmighty -- good to hear!

We'll certainly look into it (based on your plan) and see what can be done :) We will follow up with you via ticket.

I've seen the migration, thank you! multacom indeed better than cogent.