Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review of CheapWindowsVPS.com and Racknerd
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review of CheapWindowsVPS.com and Racknerd

welashubbywelashubby Member
edited April 2022 in Reviews

So, I bought a years worth of VPN from two different LET listed VPS.

Below was my experience with the two:

CheapWindowsVPS

At first I was pretty unimpressed with cheapwindowsvps. The only linux image I could find to provision my VPS was an old Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I really wanted to upgrade to the 20.04, so I did distro upgrades.
I tried doing this at least 3 or 4 times, each time having to start at the beginning, and in each case the VPS ended up being unstable and corrupt. In the end, I attempted to just cancel my service, and I was asked why...
I told them, and they asked if they could reprovision an Ubuntu 20.04LTS version for me on a new node. I gave them a quick yes, and they had me up and running fairly quickly. So far, the VPS has been rock solid and I haven't noticed any issues with it. It's a bit under powered, but good for tinkering or maybe serving something small for a website. I really like the unlimited bandwidth I get with it.

So, if you're willing to try going through their support (my first experience about 4 months ago was meh at best) you could possibly get something that should work for the price paid. I really hope that they provide an Ununtu 20.04 LTS image for provisioning in the future!

Racknerd

I ordered a racknerd vps and at first felt like it was a bit slow for being on SSD. I attempted to run a disk speed test, but was using an outdated command. I contacted support, and asked them about this, and they were VERY QUICK to get back to me, and gave me a script to run to check things. I ran this script on my upcloud VPS and a few others that I have, and then tried theirs. Their SSD was actually faster! The difference however was in the disk allocation size. Apparently racknerd uses a slightly bigger chunk size than my others.

For the price, the speed and features are certainly worth it. My suggestion is to try Racknerd out!

Comments

• Plot twist: He went to Cheap Windows VPS for Linux VPS.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

FLAGGED FOR SHILL

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@welashubby said: Racknerd

I ordered a racknerd vps and at first felt like it was a bit slow for being on SSD. I attempted to run a disk speed test, but was using an outdated command. I contacted support, and asked them about this, and they were VERY QUICK to get back to me, and gave me a script to run to check things. I ran this script on my upcloud VPS and a few others that I have, and then tried theirs. Their SSD was actually faster! The difference however was in the disk allocation size. Apparently racknerd uses a slightly bigger chunk size than my others.

For the price, the speed and features are certainly worth it. My suggestion is to try Racknerd out!

Hi @welashubby -- Thank You so much for choosing RackNerd as your provider and for sharing your experience with the community! We sincerely appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to work out the kinks. We're happy to hear that you are happy with the performance that we are able to deliver and that you've found it to be faster than the other provider you migrated from :)

It's also great to hear that our support team was readily available to assist -- responsive and helpful support is something that we aim for, and our support is something that our customers can count on. If you ever need anything, we'll be here to help. 👊

• VoidVoid Member

CheapWindowsVPS.com had an outdated Linux distro? Shocking and preposterous!! You should sue them.

Thanked by 2SP Erisa
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Will the OP ever post again? Is he part of the Supreme Platinum Host package offered at LET?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@welashubby said: My suggestion is to try Racknerd out!

Congrats on your first post

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

• ErisaErisa Member

@welashubby said: At first I was pretty unimpressed with cheapwindowsvps. The only linux image I could find to provision my VPS was an old Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Wait so you wanted a Linux VM and you went with a host called "CheapWindowsVPS" rather than any of the hundreds of other Linux-focused hosts in existence?

• @Erisa said:

@welashubby said: At first I was pretty unimpressed with cheapwindowsvps. The only linux image I could find to provision my VPS was an old Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Wait so you wanted a Linux VM and you went with a host called "CheapWindowsVPS" rather than any of the hundreds of other Linux-focused hosts in existence?

I'd like to hope they were cheaper at least... cough although I have my doubts.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

This review is so stupid, it screams 'shill' on it's own, even if you ignore the first post, signed up today, etc, etc.

• under-powered? more like turtle-with-arthritis-powered.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    Will the OP ever post again? Is he part of the Supreme Platinum Host package offered at LET?

Agreed.

I am watching.

• op, next time, send Wela instead.