Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's you backup strategy? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's you backup strategy?

13»

Comments

• @zer0r00t said:

@vitobotta said:
    Anyone using https://kopia.io/?

Recently moved from restic to kopia. Faster, finer policy controls. Pretty good

I have done a few test restores without issues.

• @TimboJones said:

@vitobotta said:

Holy shit, this looks awesome. Are you using it?

Edit: Hmm, supported by Veeam. Seems like this would eat into Veeam customer base, I know my first thought was using this instead of Veeam.

Looks like it's based on a product that Veeam bought (Kasten). I'm not sure how much Veeam technology is used here, but I admit it does look interesting.

• @aj_potc said:

@TimboJones said:

@vitobotta said:

Holy shit, this looks awesome. Are you using it?

Edit: Hmm, supported by Veeam. Seems like this would eat into Veeam customer base, I know my first thought was using this instead of Veeam.

Looks like it's based on a product that Veeam bought (Kasten). I'm not sure how much Veeam technology is used here, but I admit it does look interesting.

Buying the competition to kill it can be a strategy. But there's still development, so I hope to be wrong.

• My backup strategy? Simple - there is none. Never let yourself get cucked into creating data you cannot easily reobtain.

• Guys, how do you do shared hosting backups?

For example: Racknerd has Jetbackup on their cPanel server, but you can only download backups (even from reseller stuff).
    Couple years ago when I tried hostmantis their JetBack was able to do "offsite backups with your creds". I can specify ftp/sftp server and HM's JetBackup store backups on my side. Racknerd can't do this.

For sure, I can download backup once a week manually. But...
    May be there are any other solution for "shared-backup-task" ?

Thanks.

• cpsdcpsd Member

@SashkaPro said:
    Guys, how do you do shared hosting backups?

For example: Racknerd has Jetbackup on their cPanel server, but you can only download backups (even from reseller stuff).
    Couple years ago when I tried hostmantis their JetBack was able to do "offsite backups with your creds". I can specify ftp/sftp server and HM's JetBackup store backups on my side. Racknerd can't do this.

For sure, I can download backup once a week manually. But...
    May be there are any other solution for "shared-backup-task" ?

Thanks.

I use the cpanel functionality to backup all users to a local directory ( a scheduled job ). A script from one remote server will connect to my reseller account through ftp and download every user backup.

Thanked by 1SashkaPro
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    My servers are not backed-up, I couldn’t give a shit if the data gets lost. I have the necessary information to recreate any configurations I need.

My important personal data is backed up to two physical storage devices (one solid state that travels with me, one spinning that stays at my house) and to 2 separate cloud storage providers.

I do something similar. I see this getting harder as data gets larger but thankfully my critical data is not much.

For personal media where my content is larger, I have a vps backup, cloud back and I use Blu ray burning to offset this (with clearly some level of potential risk if I remove what I have written to Blu ray from disk)

• As I'm running everything thats possible as a docker service I use docker-backup and borgbackup in a combination which works really well.. Plus I wrote a bash script that sends notifications with log files to matrix so I'm always informed whats happening.

Thanked by 1SarahY
  • Faith. Faith is my backup strategy.

But seriously, I use tar + gzip + age (encryption) + rclone + Backblaze B2 + crontab. Seems to work well.

• @Pruzilla said:
    Faith. Faith is my backup strategy.

I have the same strategy now, Faith. single google drive for a lot of data.

• CatixsCatixs Member, Host Rep

Rsync or Rclone to any s3/FTP compatible storage should be fine for most cases.

Cold storage would be the option if you really have a large amount of files.

• What's a backup? /s

• for IBM cloud , use Rclone
    • for AWS S3 , use Gs Richcopy 360
  • Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited January 2023

Nothing critical, server backup, I download a copy of the backup to my PC and hope for the best! Also my PC get auto-backup to an External HDD!