Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to move VPS from one provider to another
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to move VPS from one provider to another

jvkzjvkz Member

Hello Everyone,

My Old provider using VMWare VPS and going to close server soon. I want to move complete VPS from old provider to new provider. Old VPS is running Ubuntu 14.04. Can please someone guide me how to do so?

Thank you.

Comments

• Have you considered resetting everything up with a LTS OS?

• ErisaErisa Member

Install an actually supported OS on the new VPS and migrate your services manually.

Without knowing what services you run, I can't help further (And probably couldn't anyway because I don't have your server)

I believe somewhere there are experts you can pay to do this stuff for you if you lack the time or energy?

• cpsdcpsd Member
    edited April 2022

if i were you (and having a remote screen of your vps) i would backup up your disk with Clonezilla to a hetzner cloud server through SSH and later restore it to a different vps.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Ubuntu 14.04 is EOL a few years ago. You should just start a new OS install on your new provider and use the latest LTS. If you're worried about upgrading message me and I'll help you move and setup everything no cost anywhere when I have time.

• I would rsync or dd the old server to new one, using SSH. or move to google drive using rclone first.

well if you need my help, PM me, I need job lol

• jadenjaden Member

@MikeA said:
    Ubuntu 14.04 is EOL a few years ago. You should just start a new OS install on your new provider and use the latest LTS. If you're worried about upgrading message me and I'll help you move and setup everything no cost anywhere when I have time.

It's still in ESM (Extended Security Maintenance) until April 2024 - https://endoflife.date/ubuntu

But it's still probably best to get on an actively supported version.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

You can use clonezalla or migrate it manually via SSH/Rsync.

Install MySQL on your new VPS. Back up your mysql directory from old VPS and restore it on your new VPS.

Easy. :)

• I would shut the old VPS down, boot it into livecd environment, and use dd to clone the entire disk. Then I restore the image to the new VPS. Don’t forget to change some settings like IP address.

In my experience this works most of the time