Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RAID controller temperature
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RAID controller temperature

KassemKassem Member

The operating temperature in the card specs say: 0°C to 55°C

However, when I check its status, it gives me this: 85 C/ 185 F (Normal)

So the question is why is it saying Normal when the temperature is over the operating temperature specs of 55 C? Concerning or that is really normal?

Controller status says Optimal.

Comments

• caiicaii Member

The temp is measured 1" away from the heatsink. For normal operation the raid cards needs around 80°C. It is similar to a car engine that needs optimal temperature to reach the best performance.
    That is why the transfer speeds are slower until the raid card heats up.

• @Kassem said:
    The operating temperature in the card specs say: 0°C to 55°C

However, when I check its status, it gives me this: 85 C/ 185 F (Normal)

So the question is why is it saying Normal when the temperature is over the operating temperature specs of 55 C? Concerning or that is really normal?

Controller status says Optimal.

That's the ambient temperature. Integrated circuits will have an operating spec in addition to much higher temperatures on the die and junctions of the chip.

Tl;dr 0-55*C refers to the room temperature, not the chip temperature.

• KassemKassem Member
    edited April 2022

@TimboJones said: That's the ambient temperature. Integrated circuits will have an operating spec in addition to much higher temperatures on the die and junctions of the chip.

Tl;dr 0-55*C refers to the room temperature, not the chip temperature.

Thanks! I found the maximum operating die temperature: 100°C, so it should be fine even though I'd have preferred it to be lower but I guess they have to balance additional cooling costs.

https://ask.adaptec.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15345

@caii said: For normal operation the raid cards needs around 80°C. It is similar to a car engine that needs optimal temperature to reach the best performance. That is why the transfer speeds are slower until the raid card heats up.

Haha.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • Less than 1c

• CatixsCatixs Member, Host Rep

85°C won't be a problem since it is so close to the chipset. Anywhere below 110°C should be fine.