Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which location at US will be the best? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which location at US will be the best?

2»

Comments

• @Merakith said:
    What location will you guys suggest out of Ashburn (east) & Chicago (mid west) if I already have 2 VPS at Los Angeles (west)?

Ashburn has good connectivity in my experience, for both US and EU

• As someone from the Midwest most of our routing goes through Dallas. Geographically I am close to Chicago, but it all goes through Dallas.

If serving primarily US/SA — Dallas.

If serving primarily SA — Miami.

If serving primarily China / Asia — LA (maybe Seattle) with a good bandwidth blend, especially for China.

If serving US/EU — NYC.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@pullangcubo said:
    I'm genuinely curious why there's multiple votes for Ashburn when it's way too eastern US?

You are thinking geographically, which is not the same as latency.
    For example, I have lower latency to my vps in Vienna than my vps in Helsinki, even though I myself live in Sweden so it's probably 3x the distance.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Personally we always suggest Seattle and NY. :smiley:
    Maybe because we offer those locations and find either have a pretty solid latency across all of the US plus have good connections to Asia and Canada and Europe and Canada.
    Hits quite a few places. If I would pick one it would depend on the target market. Dallas is a great central location as well which you can never go wrong with either.

At the end of the day if it's just a single location I would see where most people are located type of service offered really for most anything other than gaming anything under 100ms should be perfect and most companies will be 60-90ms from the farthest decent data center to the other part of America. Minus Alaska and Hawaii typically will have a higher latency.

• oyhacooyhaco Member

I vote for LA

• jlet88jlet88 Member

I think the first question to ask is "where are your your potential users located?" And then work backward from there, but I've had good average numbers from TX (i.e. Dallas), VA (i.e. Ashburn), and IL (i.e. Chicago).

But I've been happy with performance from other locations too, like New York/New Jersey and Florida (which surprised me). There are other factors too. If you also have users/visitors from Europe in addition to your US users/visitors, then ideal locations would be NY/NJ or VA in my experience. But just try to work backwards from your expected userbase, and you may get a different answer than anyone else in this thread.

Or, get more than one!

P.S. Population of Alaska and Hawaii are very low, I wouldn't stress about performance to them, they are used to slower performance BTW.

P.P.S. Population distribution is very clear with US - https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2021/geo/population-distribution-2020.html

• I've had some servers in Chicago from Xenspec and @Atomic_Networks that have really good latency.