Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using Duplicacy for backups?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using Duplicacy for backups?

I am currently using Borg to back up my server to Hetzner Storage Box, and Restic to Backblaze B2. I cam across another tool called Duplicacy which claims to be faster and more efficient at deduplication without requiring locks in the repo. There's also a version with a nice UI.

Is anyone using it? I am wondering if it's reliable as a backup solution. Thanks

https://duplicacy.com/
https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy

Comments

• @vitobotta said:
    I cam across another tool called Duplicacy which claims to be faster and more efficient at deduplication without requiring locks in the repo.

Borg's security scheme relies on having each device use their own repo, so this shouldn't be a concern if you're using Borg properly.

• @drunkendog said:

@vitobotta said:
    I cam across another tool called Duplicacy which claims to be faster and more efficient at deduplication without requiring locks in the repo.

Borg's security scheme relies on having each device use their own repo, so this shouldn't be a concern if you're using Borg properly.

But with Duplicacy it seems I can benefit from deduplication between multiple computers backed up. For example I have hundreds of GBs for Nextcloud data both on my computer and on my server. This data would be deduplicated saving a lot of storage. I am gonna give it a try now since there is a trial.

• @vitobotta said:
    I am currently using Borg to back up my server to Hetzner Storage Box, and Restic to Backblaze B2. I cam across another tool called Duplicacy which claims to be faster and more efficient at deduplication without requiring locks in the repo. There's also a version with a nice UI.

Is anyone using it? I am wondering if it's reliable as a backup solution. Thanks

https://duplicacy.com/
    https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy

Cloudways uses it for backups

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited April 2022

It's not open source which kinda puts me off, so I haven't tried it yet. (check the LICENSE.md in the repo - it's not an open-source license)

@vitobotta said: I can benefit from deduplication between multiple computers backed up.

Wouldn't that require the encryption key to be the same for all of them? That's an issue.

@vitobotta said: For example I have hundreds of GBs for Nextcloud data both on my computer and on my server.

Does Nextcloud not have an option to only download files when you actually need them, via the Windows cloud sync engine? With Seafile, the only files on my PC are the ones I've recently used - the rest are virtual files that are only downloaded on-demand when I need them.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @Daniel15 said:
    It's not open source which kinda puts me off, so I haven't tried it yet. (check the LICENSE.md in the repo - it's not an open-source license)

@vitobotta said: I can benefit from deduplication between multiple computers backed up.

Wouldn't that require the encryption key to be the same for all of them? That's an issue.

Good point. That's what they say on the website. I have no idea of how they do it. If they just look at the chunks maybe the encryption keys don't matter?

@vitobotta said: For example I have hundreds of GBs for Nextcloud data both on my computer and on my server.

Does Nextcloud not have an option to only download files when you actually need them, via the Windows cloud sync engine? With Seafile, the only files on my PC are the ones I've recently used - the rest are virtual files that are only downloaded on-demand when I need them.

I dunno, but for performance reasons I prefer to have everything locally too.

edited April 2022

@vitobotta said: If they just look at the chunks maybe the encryption keys don't matter?

The chunks would all be encrypted. If I get some free time later, I'll see if they have a whitepaper or something about how they do it, and take a look.

@vitobotta said: I dunno, but for performance reasons I prefer to have everything locally too

I get 10-15ms ping to my server (I'm near San Francisco and the server is in Los Angeles) and have 1200Mbps download speed, so I guess it's less of an issue for me 😛

• nulldevnulldev Member
    edited April 2022

I use Duplicacy to backup my ~20TB (~10 million files) home PC to Google Drive. Have it set to run every 4h and each run completes in under 5 min if there is nothing to backup.

I'm very happy with it, I've already ran a couple partial restores and everything worked fine. Memory usage is a bit high, it uses about ~9GB RAM when performing backups, but it isn't a problem for me as I have a ton of memory on my system. The author is also working on a rewrite of the backup engine to reduce memory usage: https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy/pull/625

If you don't like the closed nature of Duplicacy, I heard kopia might be a good similar alternative: https://github.com/kopia/kopia

• @nulldev said:
    I use Duplicacy to backup my ~20TB (~10 million files) home PC to Google Drive. Runs every 4h and each run completes in under 5 min if there is nothing to backup.

I'm very happy with it, I've already ran a couple partial restores and everything worked fine. Memory usage is a bit high, it uses about ~9GB RAM when performing backups, but it isn't a problem for me as I have a ton of memory on my system. The author is also working on a rewrite of the backup engine to reduce memory usage: https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy/pull/625

If you don't like the closed nature of Duplicacy, I heard kopia might be a good similar alternative: https://github.com/kopia/kopia

Awesome to hear your experience with large backups. I am testing Duplicacy with a couple of TBs now and so far I like it!

• o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited April 2022

I've started on BackupPC for years! Then i've moved to BorgBackup for like 2 years (using BorgBase <3) and now i'm on Duplicacy since 6 months on servers and 2 years on personal desktop computer.

Forget the UI for your servers, it's CLI only if you want to use it for free (personnal licence).

If i've moved from BorgBackup to Duplicacy, it's because i wanted to keep the way BorgBackup works but without the dependency to a server bin. I've checked restic for sure but it was missing some nice features of BorgBackup. So, i've gave a try to Duplicacy on my servers. Honestly, setting it up is a pain, it doesn't work the same way other tools does. But when you understand that, it's really amazing.

It's almost like BorgBackup, the way it works, but you can use any storage you want. On my side i use Minio on a personnal storage server, and several S3 on different providers. I've also a "copy" made by Duplicacy on a cloud drive. My backups are always encrypted so i don't care much who hosts it, i just want to be sure i have several copies and that i can't lost my backups. Personnal desktop is also backed up on a local external drive.

Compression side, it works flawlessly, i feel like it's a bit less than BorgBackup from what ive seen lately.

I would recommend, but i would suggest dev to follow more already existing usages on restic and BorgBackup so it would generate more leads, imho.

Haven't noticed any ram usage abuse at this time, backups are a bit slower than with BorgBackup.

If it's not to reduce your expenses, i would suggest to keep BorgBackup withyour Hetzner Storabe Box and why not make a backup of your Storage box somewhere else just in case. Honestly I would like to see BorgBackup able to use any backend, not exclusively BorgBackup servers.

• Check kopia.io, I've been using it for half a year now and can't say a bad word.

• @o_be_one said:
    I've started on BackupPC for years! Then i've moved to BorgBackup for like 2 years (using BorgBase <3) and now i'm on Duplicacy since 6 months on servers and 2 years on personal desktop computer.

Forget the UI for your servers, it's CLI only if you want to use it for free (personnal licence).

If i've moved from BorgBackup to Duplicacy, it's because i wanted to keep the way BorgBackup works but without the dependency to a server bin. I've checked restic for sure but it was missing some nice features of BorgBackup. So, i've gave a try to Duplicacy on my servers. Honestly, setting it up is a pain, it doesn't work the same way other tools does. But when you understand that, it's really amazing.

It's almost like BorgBackup, the way it works, but you can use any storage you want. On my side i use Minio on a personnal storage server, and several S3 on different providers. I've also a "copy" made by Duplicacy on a cloud drive. My backups are always encrypted so i don't care much who hosts it, i just want to be sure i have several copies and that i can't lost my backups. Personnal desktop is also backed up on a local external drive.

Compression side, it works flawlessly, i feel like it's a bit less than BorgBackup from what ive seen lately.

I would recommend, but i would suggest dev to follow more already existing usages on restic and BorgBackup so it would generate more leads, imho.

Haven't noticed any ram usage abuse at this time, backups are a bit slower than with BorgBackup.

If it's not to reduce your expenses, i would suggest to keep BorgBackup withyour Hetzner Storabe Box and why not make a backup of your Storage box somewhere else just in case. Honestly I would like to see BorgBackup able to use any backend, not exclusively BorgBackup servers.

I am using BorgBackup with Storage Box but I like Duplicacy's UI. So it seems slower than Borg for you?> @Hotmarer said:

Check kopia.io, I've been using it for half a year now and can't say a bad word.

I have seen it mentioned a couple of times. I will check it out, thanks

edited April 2022

Something that confuses me is that there's apps called Duplicity, Duplicati and Duplicacy. Why did they have to all have names that are very similar to each other? <_<

I hadn't heard of Kopia until now... I'll take a look at that one! Still trying to find a good Windows backup app.
    Edit: Looks like Kopia doesn't have a stable release yet (still 0.x versions) so I wonder if there's still major bugs or features that haven't been implemented yet?

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @vitobotta said: So it seems slower than Borg for you?

Exact it's slower for my servers from what i can see, but not that much. Note that i use less than 50gb / server.

You talk about the UI, do you plan to buy the licence to have it for your servers? Do you feel that you really need it? I like it on my desktop and it would be helpful for my servers but this is also a "be careful and securise it behind a reverse proxy at least".

• @o_be_one said:

@vitobotta said: So it seems slower than Borg for you?

Exact it's slower for my servers from what i can see, but not that much. Note that i use less than 50gb / server.

You talk about the UI, do you plan to buy the licence to have it for your servers? Do you feel that you really need it? I like it on my desktop and it would be helpful for my servers but this is also a "be careful and securise it behind a reverse proxy at least".

I think I might actually get a license. It backed up 493 GB very quickly from my server, then I backed up my Mac to the same repository and because of the deduplication (most of the data is Nextcloud, so there's a ton of duplicated files between my server and my computer) my Mac was backed up very, very quickly! I am running a restore to another disk to see if it restores correctly. So far I like it.

On the server I just added a firewall rule so I can only access it from my home IP. But I plan on creating a simple Docker image so to run it as a container behind Nginx Proxy Manager like all the other apps, and add basic authentication and IP restriction there instead.