Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosthatch IPv6 issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosthatch IPv6 issue

My HostHatch JP VPS (EPYC 8G, routed IPv6 enabled) is losing connectivity intermittently. Only 18% up last 24 hours.
IPv4 is still working while IPv6 is down.

Ping from another host (vultr) occasionally got responses for a few seconds long but mostly ends up with ICMP destination unreachable from their upstream m247.

From xxxxxx.tyo1.jp.m247.com (2001:xxxxxx::d103) icmp_seq=431 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

Their default router fe80::1 is rarely responding to neighbor solicitation from the VPS.

time sudo ndisc6 -n -1 -r 1000 fe80::1 ens3
Soliciting fe80::1 (fe80::1) on ens3...
Timed out.
Timed out.
Timed out.
Timed out.
Target link-layer address: xxxxxx:93
from fe80::1

real 1m37.710s
user 0m0.003s
sys 0m0.015s

It looks like a misconfiguration on their routing or icmp6 rules.
Does anyone here get a response from hosthatch regarding IPv6 issues?

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited March 2022

Do you have yourIPv6subnet::1 as the primary IPv6 address?
    If not, try that and see if things improve.

HH has said previously that their upstreams assigns a lower priority to IPv6, so it takes a lot of pushing to get it resolved.

• causecause Member

yes, as shown in their vps portal. I think this can be different from priority/shaving on the upstream. HH router serving the default route is not responding to ND properly, from what I can see in the ndisc6 result.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

Try turning IPv6 or prioritize IPv4 and you don’t have to worry about such issues.

• JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited April 2022

@ezeth said:
    Try turning IPv6 or prioritize IPv4 and you don’t have to worry about such issues.

Why is that a solution, or even an idea for you? Not everything has IPv4, and people like you is why we don't have a higher global IPv6 deployment yet.

Like, of course either disabling it or giving it lower priority might just work to fix the issue right now. But it's far from being a long-term solution, and while I'm not fully blaming it on HostHatch, it's still something that needs to be eventually seen and at the very least given a try to tackle at, probably.

• causecause Member

It seems the OP is seeing the same issue with me. I could not find why hosthatch assumed this was an issue of their upstream from the thread...

• foitinfoitin Member
    edited April 2022

@cause said:

It seems the OP is seeing the same issue with me. I could not find why hosthatch assumed this was an issue of their upstream from the thread...

I'm having the same issue as you.
    IPv6 hasn't been available in Tokyo for a month and half and its unreliable even used domestically, no international traffic involved.

Never thought of HostHatch being in the same shoes :/

it takes a lot of pushing to get them resolved.

It takes more pushing (or forever) to have HostHatch answer your ticket/fix it.

• babuumbabuum Member
    edited April 2022

@foitin said:
    I'm having the same issue as you.
    IPv6 hasn't been available in Tokyo for a month and half and its unreliable even used domestically, no international traffic involved.

I just skimmed through their ToS and it looks like they provide a refund for interrupted or inoperable Services. I would just demand that for the time being.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited April 2022

@babuum said: I just skimmed through their ToS and it looks like they provide a refund for interrupted or inoperable Services. I would just demand that for the time being.

Best of luck to you if you go that route. Please let us know how that works out for you.

EDIT: I expect that your ticket will stay unanswered for a very long time.

• I'm not a customer but in that case it's time to cancel and write a honest review.

• causecause Member

Again, their ipv6 router in JP datacenter is down.

from vultr jp,
    Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
    1. (waiting for reply)
    2. xxxxx::1 0.0% 23446 0.8 0.7 0.5 272.4 15.9
    3. xxxxx.tyo1.constant.com 0.0% 23446 0.9 1.1 0.7 157.3 16.5
    4. xxxxx.tyo2.constant.com 0.0% 23446 4.2 1.4 1.3 73.3 3.5
    5. (no route to host)