Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Seeking suggestions for self hosting apps and it's backups
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking suggestions for self hosting apps and it's backups

abtdwabtdw Member

I run a few self-hosted apps namely, GitLab, Bitwarden, Appwrite. Planning to host a few more like NPM, Ghost for blogging, MailCow, etc (Inspiration credits to the other related thread here).

I am currently using a new user account (with required docker permissions) on Ubuntu for each app that is hosted to make its management easier. Am I doing this right (learned this from Bitwarden docs)? or is there any other recommended way to do this?

Also, I haven't had any backup plans so far, and hence these self-hosted apps are remaining unused for now. What would be the recommended approach to backup these self-hosted apps? Should I just follow the respective app's documentation for backup or is a complete backup of the root/respective user account files enough?

How could I distribute these backups honoring the 321 backup strategies? I have these storage options in hand, 4TB NAS at home, 1TB remote storage VPS and a 1fichier account. Many backup tool options (like rclone, rsync, borgbackup, duplicati, proxmox backup server, etc) are really overwhelming for a beginner like me. Which could be the right combination of tools that would work well for my use case (backing up self-hosted app's data)?

Looking forward to suggestions that would help me get my apps running and help me learn along the way. Help is very much appreciated!

Comments

• There is already an active thread titled “what are you self-hosting” that you'll find a lot of suggestions in, though I recommend sorting your backups first. Do the admin before the fun, then you are less likely to neglect the admin!

For backups I suggest trying a couple of options on a single part of your stuff to see how they work including full and partial restores, then you can be in a better place to decide what will work best for you (or in a better place to ask more specific questions). You might find that more than one option is better, using a different tool for some things than others, or you might find one that is at least good enough for everything (if not ideal for everything).

Thanked by 1abtdw