Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you paying for bandwidth?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are you paying for bandwidth?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I'm doing a little market research on what folks are paying for bandwidth these days.

I'm most interested in what hosters are paying upstream transit providers.

Secondarily I'm curious to know what users who rent vps and dedicated server / colo servers are paying.

Obviously region makes a big difference. So be sure to share where your service is based.

Comments

• I pay around $860 for 10Gbps unmetered in EU

• mxmlamxmla Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

@jahrinc said:
    I pay around $860 for 10Gbps unmetered in EU

Just for bandwidth or including a server?

Cheapest 10G IP Transit offer I got was 500 USD/month without cross connect/transport in Amsterdam

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

I've been quoted $300 to maybe $400,000 a month for 10Gbps but for a decent blend it hovers around average $0.40/Mbps for most locations and $1-2/Mbps for pretend premium. For the $300 figure the datacenter banks on your usage being lower, but if you're to get a dedicated line directly from the service provider it's around $2,000 to $3,000 per month for a low to medium quality provider, plus setup costs (such as them running the fiber to your location if that applies.) For the most "true" premium blend outside of China and exotic locations, it's around $12,000 per month for 10Gbit. As in, the type you could use for low latency cloud gaming. For the same thing in more exotic locations, it's $70,000 per month for 10Gbit, but still excluding China. Then, direct line to China, the most premium option is the $400,000 figure I mentioned earlier, but it's extrapolated off a smaller commit and that'd be for a direct line that bypasses the great firewall.

As for cross-connect, lowest I've been quoted is $95 or so and highest would be around $375.

Oh and a fun little story I'd like to throw in there, in 2013, I contacted an ISP to run a business fiber line to my home in the US, and they quoted slightly above $10,000 per month for 1Gbps, plus something in the tens of thousands per mile range for laying the fiber. I thought it was cool at the time that they even entertained the idea.

*Disclaimer, some obfuscation and paraphrasing of the numbers so they're close to 80% accurate.

• @mxmla said: Just for bandwidth

Just bandwidth

• Dedicated Server - 350EUR/month 10Gbit unmetered (and guaranteed) - OVH France

Dedicated Server - 20EUR/month+ 1Gbit unmetered (and guaranteed) - OVH France and Canada

Dedicated Server - 30EUR/month+ 1Gbit 100TB Traffic - Leaseweb NL/US

• I think it's like $200 a year for the bandwidth to post offers on LET

• @VirMach said: Oh and a fun little story I'd like to throw in there, in 2013, I contacted an ISP to run a business fiber line to my home in the US, and they quoted slightly above $10,000 per month for 1Gbps, plus something in the tens of thousands per mile range for laying the fiber. I thought it was cool at the time that they even entertained the idea.

Wow, I wonder if they've done that before. I would love to be able to afford my own 1G line in the future.

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

@jahrinc said:

@mxmla said:

@jahrinc said:

Just for bandwidth or including a server?

Cheapest 10G IP Transit offer I got was 500 USD/month without cross connect/transport in Amsterdam

Then you can try to use the transit without IXP or PNI for 24x7x365.

We've been working with almost all IP transit providers from Tier 1 ISPs over the years, the pricing for dedicated/unmetered bandwidth is impossible within the pricing range, some IXPs like AMS-IX or DE-CIX are even expensive than $800 for a 10Gbps port.

Only some Tier 2 or Tier 3 ISPs can match your pricing, because they have much un-used bandwidth, and some providers will oversell the bandwidth to you. It's not dedicated but shared with other customers.

• RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

We are currently paying about 3000 € per 10 GBit/s in the EU.
    However, it should be said that the costs for Voxility are already included here and that we make relatively little traffic for the number of customers due to our terms and conditions (no TOR, torrent, VPN,...).

• Adam1Adam1 Member

@Smith42 said: Dedicated Server - 20EUR/month+ 1Gbit unmetered (and guaranteed) - OVH France and Canada

some sort of SYS special?

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited March 2022

@Adam1 said:

@Smith42 said: Dedicated Server - 20EUR/month+ 1Gbit unmetered (and guaranteed) - OVH France and Canada

I recognize @Smith42 as someone who keeps recommending andy10gbit. The story I've heard is this andy dude buys servers in bulk whenever there are deals (probably with long term commitment discounts + affiliate discounts). Andy also claims to purchase premium bandwidth from ovh (apparently better than the bandwidth you get renting dedis from ovh directly) He then resells the ovh/hetzners servers (not sure what other upstreams he has).

Want to find out more? Wait for @Smith42 to post their discord invite link. Apparently that's their only point of contact. I think it's probably a good deal if you are running some media server or seedboxes. Anything serious, and you will have to judge for yourself if the cost savings is worth it.

Thanked by 1Smith42
  • @Adam1 said:

You'll need to join this discord channel here https://discord.gg/mmGwHdg and check the OVH offers. Its an OVH reseller, very popular and highly praised on Reddit. I have a couple of Leaseweb servers rented through this reseller, and I've had zero issues over the last 2 years.

Thanked by 1Smith42
  • My Hetzner server comes with unlimited bandwidth but the connection is 1Gbps

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

Depends on the location, NA/EU is between $0.15 and $0.30 per gbit.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

More interesting would be "What are you paying for Power now?" @jbiloh

In terms of hosting providers
    Especially of the skyrocketing prices in EU :D

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

@HostSlick said:

A metric shit load is my answer :D

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@HostSlick said:

Here in the US power prices have gone up year over year in the Northeast, though historically they are still modest.

I know things are tougher in the EU right now.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@caniac22 said:
    I think it's like $200 a year for the bandwidth to post offers on LET

10/10 on the creativity post scale!

Thanked by 1deadpool
  • TeoMTeoM Member

Why I should pay for bandwidth if I get for lower price one more server with more traffic ?

• interservermikeinterservermike Member, Patron Provider

For 10GB commits on a two-year term in the United States I would expect to be around $.15 per mbps for a provider such as Zayo, NTT, Comcast, GTT. Cogent in the $.12 per mbps range. HE.Net is doing $.08 for 10gb pot. Higher aggregate commits offer lower prices. Location probably plays a factor as well this would be out large carrier hotels.

• $7

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

is not it confidential for hosts to reveal real contract prices with ISPs?

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

We purchase in bulk with carriers to get deals under NDA, so cannot share. We do our best to keep our bandwidth pricing as low as possible for our customers. However, we do not oversell our network, so you will find cheaper bandwidth with a few other hosting providers, possibly with oversold or not as good performing bandwidth. Our clients have the expectation that they can push their capacity 24/7, so we deliver that.

• Maybe LET can make money by establishing their own Bandwidth Alliance and negotiate better pricing for LET providers.

Thanked by 3Logano Erisa yoursunny
  • While reading all the replies from providers here, Im wondering how TempestHosting is offering 10gbit unmetered servers for really cheap? The closest offer to what they sell is like $500 for 10gbi unmetered as addon (doesnt even include server yet).

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@kennsann said: TempestHosting

Doesn't Curtis Gervais (doesn't he have a bit of a reputation?) run Tempest as part of a brand of Path.net?

With the scale needed to run Path.net, they probably already have super low bandwidth pricing. Also, when you get a 10 gbit unmetered server, you aren't gonna be using the 10 gbps 24x7, so there's definitely going to be overselling (e.g. 1000 10gbit servers on a 100 gbps uplink)

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@kennsann said: While reading all the replies from providers here, Im wondering how TempestHosting is offering 10gbit unmetered servers for really cheap?

They know most of their customers use a very tiny fraction of those 10 gbps. And they have a big enough network to support this kind of advertising.

Try getting just 50 of those servers and pushing 500 gbps of expensive transit 24/7. You will be kicked or heavily throttled fast if you do not pay up.

I remember one member from this forum which years ago did this to one of the biggest "unlimited" players in the industry. One provider which had lots of VC millions to burn. Well, in the end his usage was truly annoying and costly for the provider and after days trying to act unbothered they finally kicked him.

Thanked by 3hostdare Daniel15 Erisa
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

@NoComment said:

@Adam1 said:

I recognize @Smith42 as someone who keeps recommending andy10gbit. The story I've heard is this andy dude buys servers in bulk whenever there are deals (probably with long term commitment discounts + affiliate discounts). Andy also claims to purchase premium bandwidth from ovh (apparently better than the bandwidth you get renting dedis from ovh directly) He then resells the ovh/hetzners servers (not sure what other upstreams he has).

Want to find out more? Wait for @Smith42 to post their discord invite link. Apparently that's their only point of contact. I think it's probably a good deal if you are running some media server or seedboxes. Anything serious, and you will have to judge for yourself if the cost savings is worth it.

Andy10Gbit is extremely popular in the seedbox scene. His pricing isn't really that cheap, but occasionally he has some decent deals. A lot of the decent stuff/deals he sells comes from retired lineups from OVH, so you can't really get them directly anymore. I don't know about his whole "premium bandwidth" thing, but I'm fairly confident that he's legit.

• ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited March 2022

Just my two russian rubbles... andy's 10gbit/1gbit ovh server in france for like 70e, out-did (peering aspect) nforce (from walkers) 1gbit 90e ish server in NL. Had few servers from him, over years, never a problem. He been in this game for i think at least 5 years.

"Isn't really cheap", "occasionally he has some decent deals"... I mean, even for lowend standards this price is lower than lowend.... Ryzen 7 3700 32GB RAM 2x960GB NVMe 10Gbit down 1Gbit up unmetered €70 (OVH). This is like a dollar store, type of price. Yall better start sharing with low end, those better deals yall talking about... i am waiting.

@Advin may i please get similar spec 10/1 unmetered server in france/nl for like 50e/month..? Thanks.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

@ThinVps said:
    Just my two russian rubbles... andy's 10gbit/1gbit ovh server in france for like 70e, out-did (peering aspect) nforce (from walkers) 1gbit 90e ish server in NL. Had few servers from him, over years, never a problem. He been in this game for i think at least 5 years.

"Isn't really cheap", "occasionally he has some decent deals"... I mean, even for lowend standards this price is lower than lowend.... Ryzen 7 3700 32GB RAM 2x960GB NVMe 10Gbit down 1Gbit up unmetered €70 (OVH). This is like a dollar store, type of price. Yall better start sharing with low end, those better deals yall talking about... i am waiting.

@Advin may i please get similar spec 10/1 unmetered server in france/nl for like 50e/month..? Thanks.

Yes, the 3700 32GB RAM offer is one of the decent deals I'm talking about. A lot of his decent stuff is just retired OVH lineups (like I mentioned in my initial post) or custom Leaseweb stuff.

SoYouStart will also occasionally give you 10G download speeds on your server. For example, this was a benchmark taken on a SYS-2 ($29/mo):

Server: Cloudflare - Paris (id = 48303)
            ISP: OVH SAS
        Latency:     1.75 ms   (0.04 ms jitter)
       Download:  8091.21 Mbps (data used: 7.7 GB )
         Upload:   259.48 Mbps (data used: 181.2 MB )
    Packet Loss: Not available.
     Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/93403983-8330-4a4f-bf27-cd46c3238379

However, he also has a lot of the "Isn't really cheap" servers. If you just take a look at the Hetzner section, all of it is just resold at a 30-40 euro markup. For example, he charges 60 euro for an AX41-NVMe or 70 euro for an EX41-NVMe, which is fine, but it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Or, for example, if you look in the Leaseweb section, he does an X3440 with 16GB of RAM and 4x2TB for 60 euro. Again, perfectly fine, but the pricing isn't out of the ordinary.

A lot of his decent deals are just old OVH boxes that are from retired lineups or custom deals with Leaseweb. Which is fine, but what I'm saying is that he sells a lot of normally priced stuff but also has some decent deals occasionally.