Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kicked NameSilo to the curb - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kicked NameSilo to the curb

2»

Comments

• @raindog308 said:
    interface is 1990s and glacial at times

actually their front page is updated (much cleaner with blue sky color mix with white) but not the control panel area :joy:

and my domain was tansferred to porkbun too

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited March 2022

apart from out-dated UI i don't think namesilo has anything bad. I've 6 domains over there. 5 of them renew in same month. So, it like I login there for only two times a year. I've moved my clients domains to cloudflare. Additionally I'm trying cosmotown these days for registering .com domains.

• barkbark Member

@raindog308 said:
    No real issues with their service but…

• the interface is 1990s and glacial at times

Guess you had to be there, you know, the 90's? Don't miss geocities & refrigerator size TVs though.

Namesilo is a solid workhorse, yr in yr out, but I like porkbun too, it IS fast. (Porkbun takes PayPal now, so, yipee!)

They both actually do what they are supposed to. Without popups, ads, and loads of other commercial HS.

That, in and of itself, is amazing these days. But curb-kicking namesilo? Really? :*

• Namesilo has been perfectly fine for me.

• Namesilo ui is perfect for me...compact and all is there...easy to find....

The new design they made look too big for me and require more scrolling to see few more details...

• @risharde said:
    Lately namesilo website performance has been great but yep it seems a bit dated. I considered moving last 2 years but happy to say now things work much better and I'm pretty happy now with them knocks on wood. I have a few domains with porkbun as well but the domain itself does sound pretty unprofessional lol

In fact, I have some sites muslim-facing and I don't use Porkbun at all for those domains. The name itself is fine for me in an Asian context, but just in case, so as to not cause offence and lose traffic, I don't/can't use them!

Thanked by 2risharde yoursunny
  • I really dont mind it not being the most modern UI in the world. Its really usable and well made, but can be a bit slow.

I have all my domains there and last thing I care about is how the UI looks.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • I use Cloudflare's DNS for all of my domains, basically, I only saw UI once in a lifetime.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 shots fired :D

• Same. Moved all my domains from namesilo -> porkbun.

Next move is going to be from porkbun -> cloudflare (no-markup pricing - only disadvantage I read in reviews is that you cannot use dns other than cloudflare on cloudflare. I am already using cloudflare dns everywhere so does not matter much to me).

• aviftwaviftw Member
    edited March 2022

I only have a few on namesilo left. I moved from namesilo and joker to Gandi, love their motto.. I lost a few domains because of namesilo, didn't get the renewal email etc.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@bark said: geocities

Ah yes. Never saw the attraction but that was a fun quirky place back when the Internet was innocent and knew.

Please sign my guestbook and let me know if you want to be added to my web ring.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@scooke said:

@risharde said:
    Lately namesilo website performance has been great but yep it seems a bit dated. I considered moving last 2 years but happy to say now things work much better and I'm pretty happy now with them knocks on wood. I have a few domains with porkbun as well but the domain itself does sound pretty unprofessional lol

In fact, I have some sites muslim-facing and I don't use Porkbun at all for those domains. The name itself is fine for me in an Asian context, but just in case, so as to not cause offence and lose traffic, I don't/can't use them!

What about vegan-face sites?

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited March 2022

Curb => kerb. Just to curb your enthusiasm. Godamn 'muricans!

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2022

I'm somewhat fond of NameSilo, :) and the interface doesn't bother me, but in any case, realistically, how often does one need to update the DNS settings?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • caiicaii Member

We use namesilo for lots of customers websites. Having the possibility to use account funds and bulk update DNS makes it a great choice. I don't mind if interface is ugly as long it can do the job fast. Sub-accounts are great to limit the staff to certain domains only.
    Back in the day namecheap had similar horrific interface but you could do changes in bulk. namecheap upgraded to somewhat modern and buggy interface and removed the functionality of updating multiple domains in one shot. Now you have to take all the domains by hand. After flagging our account by mistake as russian and threatened us confiscate the funds and move the domains we have decided to dump namecheap and transfer all the domains from them.
    As a tip for you guys who have lots of domains with namecheap, you get lifetime discounted prices for registration/renew applied to your account depending of how much
    $$$ you have spent with them. Just ask your account rep. for better pricing.

A big plus is that both of them along with other registrars have reliable api and we developed and in house solution to register/renew/update dns from one place without the need to login.
    I would like to see api from porkbun and we would definitely use them when they will add register/renew/update nameservers api functionality. Right now only update dns records exist.

In conclusion namesilo looks like is addressed for businesses managing lots of domains, providing the right tools and better pricing when using account funds and big portfolio with them.
    For regular people with one domain the interface is horrific with a mix of 90's design and other parts of website somehow modern.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2022

@angstrom said:
    I'm somewhat fond of NameSilo, :) and the interface doesn't bother me, but in any case, realistically, how often does one need to update the DNS settings?

Rarely, but when you do and then realize namesilo increased the ttl because you didn't go out of your way to prevent that, you'll still get annoyed.

Also, anyone with an API can do ddns but namesilo.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

On the general NameSIlo topic - I like them, at some point I'm hoping to move everything I have with them to something like RRPProxy and manage them centrally. But, they have an API and it works adequately for the very few domains I keep around.

--

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@Daniel15 said:
    I know that Australia requires overseas companies to register their business for tax purposes in Australia, and collect sales tax (GST) at point of sale even for digital goods, as long as the company's income from Australian customers is over AU$75,000 per year. https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-imported-goods-and-services/How-to-charge-GST/If-you-are-a-merchant/ and https://www.ato.gov.au/business/international-tax-for-business/Non-resident-businesses-and-GST/. It makes things tricky since the company has to start doing Australian tax returns even though they're based overseas.

Say I'm running XYZ hosting in the USA and start selling over $75K to Australia. How would Australia even know that and, how would Australia enforce penalties against a hosting company not under the jurisdiction of Australian law?

As far as the enforcement goes - a fair few countries have reciprocal tax treaties (as said above). The U.S. and Australia have a tax treaty between eachother and whilst it doesn't directly cover GST - I would be very surprised if the U.S. wouldn't help their buddies out - wouldn't want them to stop buying submarines.

Worst case, in an instance of it being in a jurisdiction who have no interest in helping the Australian tax authorities - they could have a court order to block commerce with your business in Australia.

In most cases, the threat of being branded a tax evader in the public eye is enough for most mid-size companies to bite the bullet. Very few people like a tax cheat.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

@TimboJones said: Rarely, but when you do and then realize namesilo increased the ttl because you didn't go out of your way to prevent that, you'll still get annoyed.

At least they don't show ads on unused subdomains, right?

Name.com used to do that. They automatically added a wildcard subdomain (if you didn't explicitly add one) which would show a domain landing page with ads.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2443710
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name.com#DNS_hijacking

They stopped doing it in 2013ish but I migrated most of my domains away because doing something like that is kinda sketchy.

In any case, I hate most DNS interfaces other than my own PowerDNS-Admin setup, plus PowerDNS-Admin can do a global search across all my zones, so I only use DNS providers that support secondary DNS. Unfortunately most registrars don't. Hexonet apparently does support secondary DNS, and their DNS servers are very good (anycast with a lot of nodes), but I haven't been able to figure out how to properly configure it as secondary DNS even though their UI has a secondary DNS option, and my support ticket has been open for maybe 3 months now. They gave me the IPs to NOTIFY, but I never get any AXFR requests from them...

• @yoursunny said:

@scooke said:

@risharde said:

What about vegan-face sites?

As far as I know, none use my sites.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

I handle around 1600+ domains right now, im moving all of them to cloudflare, have moved around 800 of them so far.

for my personal .com's/.net's I transfer them around at prices lower than wholesale, just because.

• @Adam1 said: for my personal .com's/.net's I transfer them around at prices lower than wholesale, just because.

How are you getting below wholesale price?

• Adam1Adam1 Member

@NoComment said: How are you getting below wholesale price?

One of the usual registrars will be running a transfer discount promo pretty much all year round. I use tldes (https://tldes.com/com) to find them, you can see right now theres a bunch under the wholesale price, but sometimes theres better deals than what you can see right now.

• @Adam1 said:

@NoComment said: How are you getting below wholesale price?

One of the usual registrars will be running a transfer discount promo pretty much all year round. I use tldes (https://tldes.com/com) to find them, you can see right now theres a bunch under the wholesale price, but sometimes theres better deals than what you can see right now.

Aren't there usually limits to the transfer deals? Did you write scripts to help you with the transferring?

• Adam1Adam1 Member

@NoComment said: Aren't there usually limits to the transfer deals?

yeah, often limits of 1-3 transfers on coupon deals etc. but as long as you check regularly, you can get to the point where your (personal) .coms etc can have 10 years reg on them. Thats what I've done.

Not viable for domainers of course, that's why I just go with cloudflare now for biz.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I mostly use NameCheap now, even though they aren't the cheapest. I love their UI.
    Pokbun is my second go to registrar. I'm off Namesilo and GD (I hate even spelling their crappy name in full).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I use namesilo because they have some domains cheaper than internetbs, because namecheap are cunts and because I hate the name porkbun.