Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox or just use dedicated server as is?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox or just use dedicated server as is?

vitobottavitobotta Member
edited March 2022 in General

I ordered a dedicated server form Hetzner (AX41-NVME) to set up many apps for family members (around 12 people), including Nextcloud and other things.

I can set up everything with just docker compose to keep things simple, but I was wondering if I should set up Proxmox instead and use virtual machines.

Is Proxmox complicated to manage? Also the other thing is that I'd need a separate IPv4 address for each VM, right?

Comments

• Also the other thing is that I'd need a separate IPv4 address for each VM, right?

Not really, you can use NAT and have one IP address for multiple virtual machines. In my opinion, proxmox is a better solution than docker compose itself (for your case). You can always install a docker in a virtual machine and proxmox has the option of creating ovz containers, and in one panel you can manage kvm and openvz.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • If you are going to use, LXC would act as docker containers too. It's a little investment of time, but you'll get more out of it in the long run.

I would go with Proxmox. Should you need other stuff in the future, it would be easy to keep stuff apart from eachother too.

• I have never used it so I wonder how complicated it is about networking especially. > @Hotmarer said:

Also the other thing is that I'd need a separate IPv4 address for each VM, right?

Not really, you can use NAT and have one IP address for multiple virtual machines. In my opinion, proxmox is a better solution than docker compose itself (for your case). You can always install a docker in a virtual machine and proxmox has the option of creating ovz containers, and in one panel you can manage kvm and openvz.

Do you know of any guide that explain how to do the NAT thing? I am weak with networking in general unfortunately

• @vitobotta said:
    I have never used it so I wonder how complicated it is about networking especially. > @Hotmarer said:

Also the other thing is that I'd need a separate IPv4 address for each VM, right?

Do you know of any guide that explain how to do the NAT thing? I am weak with networking in general unfortunately

https://serverfault.com/questions/532938/proxmox-single-public-ip-with-multiple-vms-openvz-containers-work-kvms-don

Thanked by 1ElonBezos
  • itoito Member, Host Rep

You need to create two NICs vmbr0 and vmbr1 to take care of the public and intranet forwarding. I don't think it's too difficult. :)

• niceboyniceboy Veteran
    edited March 2022

I think Proxmox supports LXC and not ovz.

• Just use proxmox with nat and port range for public ip

• Thanked by 2ehab kdh
  • kdhkdh Member

How about ESXi
    Not mentioning the license price is like buying a new server

• Benefit of promox and virtual machines is the ability to do backups of the VM. If you use rclone can upload backups to a cloud storage.

I’d recommend using something like Photon OS for the virtual KVM OS. Once setup I’ve had zero issues with it; it just runs …

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • @niceboy said:
    I think Proxmox supports LXC and not ovz.

Yes you are right. I confused lxc with ovz.

• I have a bigger hetzner dedi and went with docker only. I don't need different operation systems or some strict seperation of services. My use case is to have a lot of applications. I wouldn't do proxmox with nat. If proxmox is needed I would go with dedicated ip for each guest. I see the benefit of having easy backups with proxmox but proxmox will bring another layer of abstraction that needs security and maintenance.

Thanked by 2yongsiklee devp
  • akhfaakhfa Member
    edited March 2022

Proxmox to make maintenance effort lower, such as backup and snapshot VM. Worth to be learn

I always snapshot my VM before upgrade, so if anything happened, just restore the snapshot, much easier and simpler that backup and restore using something like borg 🙂

Borg is used for longer term backup

Thanked by 2yongsiklee devp