Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the benefits betweens RHEL based distribution than a Debian one.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the benefits betweens RHEL based distribution than a Debian one.

A few years(around 2014.15) ago I ran up my first Cloud computing instance on GCP with DA, I chose CentOS 7 as my go-to distribution, just because I newly came from shared hosting to a VPS, and all of my previous hosting providers all using CentOS as their host operating system. And the results are quite good, more than 200days without a single downtime. I prefer CentOS since then.
But at the end of last year, I had no choice but kind of forced to try out new distribution, because NextCloud-VM scripts only support Ubuntu. So far so good as of now, not as bad as I think before.
Which one do you think is the most stable for the production environment? Debian-based or RHEL based, I would still choose RHEL based distributions if I have the choice.

Comments

• if you use Debian for a few years, RH based distros will feel sick in the very first go. The approach is quite different, repos, support, etc. RH is more like closed source thing now, tied to their own standards while Debian is real freedom.

Fedora, CentOS (now stream) simply feel like playground for RH where they nurture data and analysis to harvest info for their enterprise apps and mint money.

Try running a simple workstation desktop and you will quickly realise how restricted the environment for RH can be. For (web)servers though, it should mostly be same

Thanked by 2jason5545 lentro
  • jonathanjonathan Member, LIR

@jason5545 said:
    Which one do you think is the most stable for the production environment?

They are both stable and designed for production environments. Use whichever one you are most comfortable with.

Thanked by 2jason5545 lentro
  • @jonathan said:

@jason5545 said:
    Which one do you think is the most stable for the production environment?

They are both stable and designed for production environments. Use whichever one you are most comfortable with.

Is Debian actually designed for production? I always took their non-free firmware choices to be intentional hassles to production. Only recently have they've gone to LTS releases, anything less than 5 years would certainly be a poor choice for production.

• akhfaakhfa Member

Previously I prefer centos because of their no-break-upgrade and more rigid security (no service automatically started at boot before we enabled it on systemd, selinux, and so on).
    But, in containerized world (docker, kubernetes), rhel-based distro use older package and sometimes not compatible with kubernetes (for example, many kubernetes distro doesn’t support selinux at first).

Many newer kubernetes technology need newer kernel that is not provided by rhel yet, like wireguard networking, and I think also eBPF

So, if you still prefer not-breaking-thing than pretty-latest-technology, I think rhel-based distro is still okay. But debian, ubuntu is also stable with newer packages and technology available, and sometime better community support like that nextcloud installation.
    And don’t forget about in-place-upgrade that not officially supported on rhel-based distro 🙂

Thanked by 2jason5545 webcraft