Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unmanaged VPS for SocksV5 Proxy (No DMCA?)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unmanaged VPS for SocksV5 Proxy (No DMCA?)

ObelousObelous Member
edited March 2022 in Requests

Hey there, looking for a cheap VPS I can use as a SocksV5 proxy for torrenting, I'm aware FranTech exists but I'd also like to explore other options.

PulsedMedia is not an option.

VZ Type: ANY

Number of Cores: 1
RAM: 512mb to 1gb
Disk Space: <50gb
Disk Type: HDD/ANY

Bandwidth: 5TB?
Port Speed: 1Gbps minimum (2Gbps if possible)

DDoS Protection: No.

Number of IPs: 1 (NAT might even work.)

Location: EU or RU works (or anything <80ms to Sweden/Norway).

Budget: Below $5/mo

Misc requirements:
Proxy allowed
Torrenting allowed
Doesn't suspend on DMCA notices (going to be using public trackers)

Billing period: Monthly or Annually is preferable.

Comments

• Terrahost they are in Norway! They are out of your budget, but they have unmetered 1Gbps, Ryzen 5950X

https://terrahost.no/virtuell-server

Thanked by 1Obelous
  • jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited March 2022

@jahrinc said:
    Terrahost they are in Norway! They are out of your budget, but they have unmetered 1Gbps, Ryzen 5950X

TerraHost doesn't ignore DMCA, IIRC.
    @terrahost Am I mistaken or not?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

Note that SOCKS5 probably isn't what you want. It's unencrypted (meaning your ISP can still tell that you're torrenting), and doesn't support inbound connections (which is what you'd want for torrents, especially if you're seeding). I think what you really want is a VPN with port forwarding.

If you don't mind commercial VPN providers, AirVPN supports port forwarding of up to 20 ports. Otherwise, you can do it with a VPS provider, Wireguard, and some nftables (or legacy iptables) rules.

Thanked by 1PearlMoon
  • jahrincjahrinc Member
    edited March 2022

@jason5545 said: TerraHost doesn't ignore DMCA, IIRC

They only deal/handle with local authorities (norway authorities)

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • @Daniel15 said:
    Note that SOCKS5 probably isn't what you want. It's unencrypted (meaning your ISP can still tell that you're torrenting), and doesn't support inbound connections (which is what you'd want for torrents, especially if you're seeding). I think what you really want is a VPN with port forwarding.

It works totally fine from what I have noticed? I've tried it before.

• @jahrinc said:
    Terrahost they are in Norway! They are out of your budget, but they have unmetered 1Gbps, Ryzen 5950X

Much appreciated.

Sounds like Terrahost might be an option, stumbled upon MikroVPS as well.

I think I'll give Terrahost, MikroVPS and FranTech a try and see how they all are.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

@Obelous said:

@Daniel15 said:

It works totally fine from what I have noticed? I've tried it before.

It works, sure, but you get close to zero privacy from it other than the different IP. The same data is still flowing unencrypted, so your internet provider can still track torrent usage.

You should also clarify that by "no DMCA" you mean "piracy allowed", and hosts generally aren't going to publicly advertise that... DMCA is a US law so by definition all providers located outside the USA are outside the jurisdiction of DMCA.

• @Daniel15 said:
    You should also clarify that by "no DMCA" you mean "piracy allowed", and hosts generally aren't going to publicly advertise that... DMCA is a US law so by definition all providers located outside the USA are outside the jurisdiction of DMCA.

obviously cant confirm

internet provider can still track torrent usage.

provider doesnt actively track torrent usage, just dont want infringement notices