Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Started Hosting Company
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Started Hosting Company

Hi,

I have already started a hosting company with few clients at the moment. To start of basically, what things should i keep in mind to take it a smooth running. Example, backups, whmcs etc..

It would be helpful if you could guide me with step by step actions, so that i can make a checklist to my actions.

Thanks for your support,
Puneetha

Comments

• What kind of hosting?
    Shared or VPS?

• Firstly, don't resell. Not that reselling is bad or something, but you should utilize your own servers for your business. If you are starting a shared hosting company, you should get a cPanel license, a WHMCS license, then licenses for Softaculous/Installatron/WHMSonic, and there used to be another addon for cPanel started from f. Or maybe I'm mistaken. But if its a VPS company you're talking about, then getting dedicated servers, IP addresses, SolusVM licenses, WHMCS licenses, and your SMTP servers. Is not necessary to go with all the aforementioned softwares, you could go with Virtualizor, HostBill, and so on, but the ones I mentioned are the ones I use.

• @praveenbhat said:
    What kind of hosting?
    Shared or VPS?

Current i have a VPS.. wouldnt want to go for dedi unless there is some heavy usage.

I am selling shared and reseller hosting only.

• @dhamaniasad said:
    Firstly, don't resell. Not that reselling is bad or something, but you should utilize your own servers for your business. If you are starting a shared hosting company, you should get a cPanel license, a WHMCS license, then licenses for Softaculous/Installatron/WHMSonic, and there used to be another addon for cPanel started from f. Or maybe I'm mistaken. But if its a VPS company you're talking about, then getting dedicated servers, IP addresses, SolusVM licenses, WHMCS licenses, and your SMTP servers. Is not necessary to go with all the aforementioned softwares, you could go with Virtualizor, HostBill, and so on, but the ones I mentioned are the ones I use.

Thanks.. currently i am having a VPS and selling shared/reseller hosting.

• Well then get whmcs, cpanel license and offcourse a website ( saw your website and there is nothing there), SSL cerificate. Also one more VPS to do backups.

But if you do not have the experience and the skills as of now, taking a reseller package is the best way forward. Once you gain skills and experience then having your own VPS/ Dedicated is more profitable.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@netider said:
    I have already started a hosting company with few clients at the moment.

Then I suspect you already know how to get started. Keep your clients happy, when reasonable to do so. Make wise financial decisions. Keep on keeping on.

• @praveenbhat said:
    Well then get whmcs, cpanel license and offcourse a website ( saw your website and there is nothing there), SSL cerificate. Also one more VPS to do backups.

But if you do not have the experience and the skills as of now, taking a reseller package is the best way forward. Once you gain skills and experience then having your own VPS/ Dedicated is more profitable.

I removed everything and working on a new platform for company website hosting in different VPS. I do have the hosting experience and moved from RH to VPS quite sometime now. Just want to organize well before i move on to full fledge as hosting company.

• @prosecure said:
    Always Reply your tickets on short time and resolve there issue soon always take regular backups of the server bcoz some spammers also take shared hosting they complete down the server from repidleech and different tools.

All my client never create any tickets, just they call me directly. All clients are known to me.

• @jarland said:
    Then I suspect you already know how to get started. Keep your clients happy, when reasonable to do so. Make wise financial decisions. Keep on keeping on.

yes you are correct. But only thing that i need to make sure everything is organized (things which i may not be aware off), so wanted to list down from start as layman.

Also when you say wise financial decisions, what exactly you mean?

• @netider

If you know the clients personally and since you say they call you for support, then WHMCS is not need at all. You can use a desktop software for billing.

But again it is up to you to decide what is best for you.

Are you from Bangalore?

• @praveenbhat said:
    netider

If you know the clients personally and since you say they call you for support, then WHMCS is not need at all. You can use a desktop software for billing.

But again it is up to you to decide what is best for you.

Are you from Bangalore?

Maintaining accounts would be tedious on desktop stuffs.. I have used WHMCS.. i think its decent enough to plan. Ofcourse as you said, comes at a cost!

Yes I am from Bangalore.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@netider said:
    Also when you say wise financial decisions, what exactly you mean?

It's ok to take a risk every now and then, but calculate your risks, never risk what you can't afford to lose. Remember that one paying client at $20/m is better than 20 at $5/year. Always seek to profit, because while some people see cheap deals as being friendly, others see financial stability and sustainable business practices as far more friendly to their clients. A business that makes money is a business that is less likely to fall than one that digs it's own grave with constant losses due to poor decisions.

Thanked by 1netider
  • @jarland said:
    A business that makes money is a business that is less likely to fall than one that digs it's own grave with constant losses due to poor decisions.

Very well said! Thank you for your guidance.

• @Zen said:
    Stop calling it a 'company' when it isn't a legally registered entity, you may be running a business, but you are not running a company. I fucking hate how thrown about that term is in this industry specifically.

Nothing against you btw, and it may just be me, but that term in the wrong context makes my skin crawl.

FYI.. its a legally registered company in India. May be when you comment, you can ask before you assume :D

Thanked by 1Zen
  • @netider said:
    I am selling shared and reseller hosting only.

What's your VPS specs? if you don't mind :)

• @Zen said:
    Well, I did make an assumption so sorry for that - but as I said I have nothing against you specifically. Perhaps I should also clarify, I just don't like the term for small businesses in general. It gives an inaccurate impression.

No problem. it happens.. It just comes out when we see things we hate a lot.

• I have already started a hosting company with few clients at the moment. To start of basically, what things should i keep in mind to take it a smooth running.

Based on this thread: sites got hacked, my advice would be to learn some basic server security before starting your hosting company.

• @DomainBop said:
    Based on this thread: sites got hacked, my advice would be to learn some basic server security before starting your hosting company.

Was just about to link to the same thing with effectively the same advice.

• @DomainBop said:

We all learn from our mistakes :)

• All those things are what you would go through before starting a hosting company..

Thanked by 1Ian_