Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cloudflare also good for reputation on email related setting (None I can find except for MX)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Cloudflare also good for reputation on email related setting (None I can find except for MX)?

yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

I only have a simple txt record "v=spf1 ip4:my IP address ~all" for my domains.

Before I used Cloudflare, my email went straight into "Spam" in gmail when using Hetzner server and its rDNS.

But it all changed after I moved my NS and DNS setting to Cloudflare. All my email from all domains in the same host safely go to "Inbox" in gmail.

What gives?

• This is another subject: When I used another US based provider (not Hetzner) with my own rDNS, only the main domain (and very few other domains in the same host) went to "Spam." Other domains in most cases in the same host didn't even reach "Spam" folder. It was about reputation of the rDNS or...?

Comments

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

Another thing about Hetzner+Cloudflare: When I sent email from my server, Gmail A receives it in Inbox, and Gmail B which has just been forwarded from the Gmail A receives in Spam.

All in all I am extremely pleased to see my email go to Gmail Inbox with Hetzner+Cloudflare.

No more. It started going into "Spam" filter. It went into Inbox at first but subsequent emails started going into Spam.

• The fact that your domain is in Cloudflare doesn't mean that it'll have a lesser spam score for email servers, unless someone's insane enough to deploy such kind of rules (but hint: I doubt Gmail etc. do.)

You might want to start looking at other options - say, DKIM, DMARC, and trying your best to keep your IP reputation as best as possible. Make sure that your server IP's rDNS and the e-mail server name sent in HELO matches. And even yet, good luck.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • Well, Cloudflare did roll out this email security feature to properly setup DKIM keys and spf records and shit, IIRC.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/tackling-email-spoofing/

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • @TimboJones said:
    Well, Cloudflare did roll out this email security feature to properly setup DKIM keys and spf records and shit, IIRC.

Yeah, it can come in handy, but it's nothing specific to Cloudflare, and you could do it perfectly fine with another DNS provider, implying you know what records are you adding.

@TimboJones said:
    Well, Cloudflare did roll out this email security feature to properly setup DKIM keys and spf records and shit, IIRC.

Good stuff to read.

@yongsiklee said:
    Another thing about Hetzner+Cloudflare: When I sent email from my server, Gmail A receives it in Inbox, and Gmail B which has just been forwarded from the Gmail A receives in Spam.

All in all I am extremely pleased to see my email go to Gmail Inbox with Hetzner+Cloudflare.

No more. It started going into "Spam" filter. It went into Inbox at first but subsequent emails started going into Spam.

With proper msgs (meaning with no blank msgs, suspicious? msgs, etc), it restarted going into Inbox.

@JeDaYoshi said:
    The fact that your domain is in Cloudflare doesn't mean that it'll have a lesser spam score for email servers, unless someone's insane enough to deploy such kind of rules (but hint: I doubt Gmail etc. do.)

You might want to start looking at other options - say, DKIM, DMARC, and trying your best to keep your IP reputation as best as possible. Make sure that your server IP's rDNS and the e-mail server name sent in HELO matches. And even yet, good luck.

I will definitely look at them more closely and configure accordingly for more favorable deliverability.

• xprebounxpreboun Member
    edited March 2022

I'm not sure whether your email volume is high enough to use this, but this would definitely help if you could use it.
    http://postmaster.google.com/

When you are talking about your email getting rejected by mail server, does the recipient server told you why it is rejected? They would usually provide you a reason to why it is being rejected.

Beside SPF, you should also setup DKIM and DMARC.

@yongsiklee said: This is another subject: When I used another US based provider (not Hetzner) with my own rDNS, only the main domain (and very few other domains in the same host) went to "Spam." Other domains in most cases in the same host didn't even reach "Spam" folder. It was about reputation of the rDNS or...?

This make me feel like you are actually sending out spams...
    If you have any actual transactional emails, you should consider looking for a email provider like AWS SES, Twilio Sendgrid (Free or Azure FreeAzure Free is no longer available). It's not that having your own mail server is not great, but these services would generally provide you with a bit insight on why your emails would be rejected.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee

This make me feel like you are actually sending out spams...

No spam mail. I am just testing with my new server.

If you have any actual transactional emails, you should consider looking for a email provider like AWS SES, Twilio Sendgrid (Free or Azure FreeAzure Free is no longer available). It's not that having your own mail server is not great, but these services would generally provide you with a bit insight on why your emails would be rejected.

I will recheck AWS SES.

• Cloudcone VPS as MX + Cloudflare DNS works fine.

Thanked by 2yongsiklee Cloudcone

@BreakaWD said:
    Cloudcone VPS as MX + Cloudflare DNS works fine.

My Hetzner MX + Clodflare is now working fine.
    Some of testing email going into spam was due to the nature of my testing, sending with no content and subject, sending with just "test," in subject, etc.

@yongsiklee said:

@BreakaWD said:
    Cloudcone VPS as MX + Cloudflare DNS works fine.

My Hetzner MX + Clodflare is now working fine.
    Some of testing email going into spam was due to the nature of my testing, sending with no content and subject, sending with just "test," in subject, etc.

With proper msgs, all the mail go into inbox now.