Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MXroute blocking all of Psychz incl LetBox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MXroute blocking all of Psychz incl LetBox

I've bitten the bullet and stood up a personal mail server on my LetBox VPS. My IP is from a range that appears to be leased/transferred from Frantech to Letbox. As far as I can tell (with my limited BGP skills) LetBox's IP ranges are advertised directly by Psychz, not through their own AS.

I also have some email still hosted with MXroute.

Now MXroute have RBLed all of the Psychz network, and won't remove individual IPs from their RBL? This is with MXroute's own RBL (m~~~~xrbl.com).

There's no value to removing individual IPs as it means splitting up the line entries in the DB and dramatically increasing the size of the zone file for little to no gain

As a courtesy, as I am an MXroute customer, they have whitelisted my IP but only on the mailserver I have services on.

I've been running the mail server for over a month and thought my delivery issues had dropped off. Certainly I can still send mail to gmail just fine.

Has Psychz gone bad, do I need to move my mail server somewhere else (aargh)? Or give up on MXroute? Or is this a storm in a teacup?

Now I remember why I moved my mail server to Gmail a decade ago...

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2022

There's way more spam coming out of Psychz than anything worth receiving. If you want to sit in the middle of a spam operation you can, but people like me are going to take notice, it's literally the job people hire us to do. You can give up on me if you want but this is my day to day, I have people harassing me nonstop about stopping the spam and when I do, I get this "should I give up on MXroute" thread.

Someone kill me please. This is why I open source everything I do, because I'm confident that no one will do the job I do even with all of my tools in hand. They'll jump off a roof way before they gain 1000 customers. I mean, I even fixed the damn problem and you're still making a public thread asking if you should give up on me, Christ on a stick lol. You don't even need an outbound mail server in a spam network, you literally already pay me to run one for you on IPs I personally manage on your behalf. At a highly coveted price I might add. I'm still going to work my ass off every day for you because I love you and I love what I do ♥️

I'm gonna do seafood today, that sounds like the best reaction.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@deadlyllama said: Has Psychz gone bad, do I need to move my mail server somewhere else (aargh)? Or give up on MXroute? Or is this a storm in a teacup?

@jar doesn't just willy-nilly block IP ranges

You should complain to Psychz

Congrats on your first post in 2022

Thanked by 1jar
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@jar said:

Saturday night is curry night.

Thanked by 2jar inthecloudblog

@Nekki said:

@jar said:

I see that and I raise you catfish.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jar said:

@Nekki said:

@jar said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that on a menu anywhere.

Thanked by 1jar

@Nekki said:

@jar said:

@Nekki said:

@jar said:

I'm gonna need you to maybe land in Dallas for a couple hours and you're gonna eat something life changing. Then we'll get lunch.

Thanked by 2Nekki Erisa
  • acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited March 2022

catfish is prem if done correctly, you wont see it on many menu's

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said:
    There's way more spam coming out of Psychz than anything worth receiving. If you want to sit in the middle of a spam operation you can, but people like me are going to take notice, it's literally the job people hire us to do. You can give up on me if you want but this is my day to day, I have people harassing me nonstop about stopping the spam and when I do, I get this "should I give up on MXroute" thread.

I did say "should I give up on my VPS hosting location or MXroute"... sounds like you're suggesting my VPS hosting location. I'd be very happy if someone from Letbox showed up in this thread.

Unfortunately my not-for-profit "employer" (long story) has its email hosted on my MXroute account.

Unfortunately LetBox doesn't have its own ASN so just looks like part of the Psychz blob, and I don't know how close my spammy neighbours are.

Someone kill me please.

Oh yes, I get this, the smaller scale mail operation the greater the pain per customer!

Have you looked at https://github.com/spamhaus/rbldnsd which would allow you to whitelist individual IPs without filling up zonefiles with split blocks? Also list subnets on non-octet boundaries.

It's Sunday morning here. No catfish nearby. We do have enormous native pigeons but you're not allowed to eat them.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

@deadlyllama said:

@jar said:

I did say "should I give up on my VPS hosting location or MXroute"... sounds like you're suggesting my VPS hosting location. I'd be very happy if someone from Letbox showed up in this thread.

Unfortunately my not-for-profit "employer" (long story) has its email hosted on my MXroute account.

Unfortunately LetBox doesn't have its own ASN so just looks like part of the Psychz blob, and I don't know how close my spammy neighbours are.

Someone kill me please.

Oh yes, I get this, the smaller scale mail operation the greater the pain per customer!

Have you looked at https://github.com/spamhaus/rbldnsd which would allow you to whitelist individual IPs without filling up zonefiles with split blocks? Also list subnets on non-octet boundaries.

It's Sunday morning here. No catfish nearby. We do have enormous native pigeons but you're not allowed to eat them.

That's what I'm using. I must have overlooked that, the documentation frustrates me a bit. Will look it over again, ty!

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

what in the tuna fish is this?

the end is nigh

• @Nekki said:

@jar said:

@Nekki said:

@jar said:

Come to the south lol

Thanked by 2jar themew
  • @jar said:

@deadlyllama said:

That's what I'm using. I must have overlooked that, the documentation frustrates me a bit. Will look it over again, ty!

The example file in the documentation has an entry beginning with a ! labelled "exclusion entry." It's within a netblock mentioned earlier in the file -- I don't know if order matters.

Thanked by 1jar
  • What we need is a toggle in panel so we can get (daily/weekly) digest internal e-mail listing all blocked/rbl'ed/spf'ed e-mails that did not reach user inbox!

from;to;subject;reason

also it must work for wildcard/catch-all, so not that easy grep!

Thanked by 1ChefJoe

@JabJab said:
    What we need is a toggle in panel so we can get (daily/weekly) digest internal e-mail listing all blocked/rbl'ed/spf'ed e-mails that did not reach user inbox!

from;to;subject;reason

also it must work for wildcard/catch-all, so not that easy grep!

Problem is you don't get all of that without building out something that isn't really normal in the open source world. There's a lot of value to rejecting email before you allow it's contents to be dropped into memory. Even more before you allow it to even declare anything, else it's all chinanet consuming all resources all day.

• darbdarb Member

make sure that you bitch to your provider about the dirty IP blocks also and tell them why if, or when you change providers.

@deadlyllama said:
    I've bitten the bullet and stood up a personal mail server on my LetBox VPS. My IP is from a range that appears to be leased/transferred from Frantech to Letbox. As far as I can tell (with my limited BGP skills) LetBox's IP ranges are advertised directly by Psychz, not through their own AS.

I also have some email still hosted with MXroute.

Now MXroute have RBLed all of the Psychz network, and won't remove individual IPs from their RBL? This is with MXroute's own RBL (m~~~~xrbl.com).

• @MrPsycho said:

Because copyright claims are annoying.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited March 2022

On the subject of spammy provider I don't get any spam from Psychz saying that I don't have anywhere near volume of incoming emails as Mxroute so @jar will have a better insight them me.

On my server I've noticed a few providers that never had sent one legit email to my server QuadraNet and WholeSale Internet/Nocix the last two sends one domain hosted on my mail server SEO crap offen.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited March 2022

Here's my classic @Jar blocking:
    ` host xxxxx.mxrouting.net[116.202.xxx.xxx] said: 550-Your message to

<[email protected]> was classified as SPAM.  Please 550-add more

content, cut down on HTML links, use fewer naughty words etc. `

`Subject Cron <root@xxx> /root/remote-backup2.sh

From (Cron Daemon)

To [email protected]

Date Today 05:52

umount: /media/ks-cloud: not mounted

/sbin/mount.davfs: warning: the server does not support locks

/sbin/mount.davfs: Warning: can't write entry into mtab, but will mount the file system anyway

sending incremental file list

./`
    Followed by a list of included directories that are backed up etc.

Looks like spam/naughty words to me! :open_mouth:

[Sod the poxy markdown PITA inconsistent syntax!]

Thanked by 1jar

Death to root cron job notifications!

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @jar said: Death to root cron job notifications!

Rotter. :p

Thanked by 1jar