Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Investigating random latency spike, please help ;-(
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Investigating random latency spike, please help ;-(

edited March 2022 in Help

My server's smokeping started to show random latency spike at random hours (local network & external), and there's no indication of high cpu/high network usage (from my server side).

I contacted my host, and they don't see any abnormalities too. They thought it was a qsfp cable issue between their switch and router, and replaced the transceivers and cables.

After the replacement, I'm still experiencing random latency spikes.

The weird thing is, I have multiple smokeping targets, and the latency spike doesn't occur all at the same time. It happens at different hours, for different targets.

This is smokeping to the same "physical router", in one switch, with different IPs:

Currently running 10G X520 (one port), connected to switch over DAC, and switch is running Nexus 3064E.

Anyone knows why? Is it a NIC issue? or a DAC issue? or a switch issue?

Comments

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2022

Am I missing something or is this not in microseconds and milliseconds?

What is the expectation? Latency "spikes" of 1.6ms isn't usually an issue unless you're a hardcore trader with a million dollar setup.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Latency sensitive kids do not use a switch.
    For each neighbor node, we use a separate Ethernet adapter and connect with a direct attach copper cable.
    In this way, high load in the Ethernet switch would not increase the latency.