Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apache reverse proxy experience with Webhorizon OPENVZ VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apache reverse proxy experience with Webhorizon OPENVZ VPS

jason5545jason5545 Member
edited March 2022 in Reviews

Earlier this month I saw Kimsufi 's atom server is finally in stock, so I get one quick, plan to replace my VPS with a dedicated server, after my migration is completed, everything is working so far.

But then I encountered a problem, Kimsufi is using OVH's data center, which the routing it's just not fully optimized for my country, on my previous VPS I can get about 7 to 8 MB uploads per second, but on Kimsufi I can only get 200 KB per second which is a huge difference, so I started to look out for solutions.

Unfortunately, Cloudflare just can't be used for use cases, because I am running a Nextcloud server, Cloudflare's 100MB upload limitation is just not usable for me, so I need to search in another way.

And I saw on LET a thread that mentioned Apache reverse proxy, so I decided to give it a try.
After doing some research, I decide to use Singapore's node, for the best experience, at this time, I came across @WebHorizon 's OpenVZ plan, it's has been years that I used OpenVZ solutions, but for this situation, it just fits my needs. After a full config, my network finally can reach the full speed of my server which is 10 MB per second.

Problems solved. So far so good. Before I tried, I always doubt that the reverse proxy solutions can make what kind of difference. Now I am convinced by the results.

Thanked by 1dev077

Comments

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Great, glad it works.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • @jason5545 said: Cloudflare's 100MB upload limitation

NextCloud uses chunked upload so each chunk is only around 10M or so

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • @matheny said:

@jason5545 said: Cloudflare's 100MB upload limitation

For unknown reasons, the chunk feature, never work for me if I have cloudflare turned on, it will always stuck on 5 MB and the upload got interrupted, I had to switched cloudflare's DNS only mode, in order to upload normally, I still haven't found the reason behind it.

Thanked by 1matheny
  • @jason5545 said:

@matheny said:

For unknown reasons, the chunk feature, never work for me if I have cloudflare turned on, it will always stuck on 5 MB and the upload got interrupted, I had to switched cloudflare's DNS only mode, in order to upload normally, I still haven't found the reason behind it.

Oh that's weird. It has always worked for me (CF + nextcloud).

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • @matheny said:

@jason5545 said:

@matheny said:

I guess I will try again if I have a time.

• So you went from 1 vps to 1 dedi + 1 vps (for the proxy)? sounds like the problem didn't need to be fixed in the first place.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for the mention :)

So you went from 1 vps to 1 dedi + 1 vps (for the proxy)? sounds like the problem didn't need to be fixed in the first place.

I think it's about upgrading, kimsufi's offers more resources than most other vps, in same price segment.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • @mosquitoguy said:
    So you went from 1 vps to 1 dedi + 1 vps (for the proxy)? sounds like the problem didn't need to be fixed in the first place.

I do the migration because sometimes NextCloud can use quite a lot cpu and disk I/O, I just don't want to be a noisy neighbor.

• foitinfoitin Member
    edited March 2022

Totally off topic but just curious if your avatar is yourself.
    Thought it was random otaku in his stereotypical otaku checked shirt holding McDonald soft drink at sofmap cheki event but turns out it's animate :D

• @foitin said:
    Totally off topic but just cmurious if your avatar is yourself.
    Thought it was random otaku in his stereotypical otaku checked shirt holding McDonald soft drink at sofmap cheki event but turns out it's animate :D

It is me. The picture was taken at Animate Taiwan, I was luckily enough to win a chance to picture with LiSA personally at 2016. Never change my avatar since then.

• @jason5545 said:

@foitin said:

It is me. The picture was taken at Animate Taiwan, I was luckily enough to win a chance to picture with LiSA personally at 2016. Never change my avatar since then.

and that soft drink is from McDonalds? I thought only McDonalds Japan has sodas like this.

• jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited March 2022

@foitin said:

@jason5545 said:

@foitin said:

and that soft drink is from McDonalds? I thought only McDonalds Japan has sodas like this.

It's from Animate Café, because LiSA visit Taiwan that day, They had Sword Art Online special,the drink is themed like the stamina potion from the SAO.

• @jason5545 said:

@matheny said:

@jason5545 said:

@matheny said:

I guess I will try again if I have time.

Okay, I tried with CF on my other backup server, it works. I guess I just need to be patient to let the chunks get assembled, I just saw the upload progress bar got stuck, I thought it was interrupted, didn't know the reassembly process, it took that long.
    Thanks