Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Router to use.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Router to use.

TGTTGT Member
edited March 2022 in General

Hey folks I'm in search of a pretty solid core routers for a dual 40g uplink network any suggestions prefer juniper or cisco equipment. What are yall using?

I was looking at the CHAS-BP3-MX480-S JUNIPER MX480 BP3 CHASSIS

Comments

• Would an MX204 be an option?

• LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

Budget? How soon do you need it?

MX204 lead time is 6-8 months right now.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

If got some spare hardware laying around can go with TNSR by Netgate.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I wouldn’t buy MX480 these days, picking up 40 or 100G ports will cost you a lot more per port. Look at MX204 or MX10k.

Lead time will be long either way unless you take a used one (which I don’t recommend).

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

I can definitely recommend the Juniper MX204, but Arista is definitely worth looking into (especially the v2 and v3's).

I am in contact with a supplier based out of the Netherlands who has 20x Juniper MX204's with perpetual licenses coming in over the course of next month priced at about 14k EUR each. I will be happy to bring you in to contact. Feel free to DM if you're interested.

• TGTTGT Member

@Lyphiard said:
    Budget? How soon do you need it?

MX204 lead time is 6-8 months right now.

I want to stay under 30k.

• LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

MX204 will definitely suit your budget then, you can pick up a unit with licenses and support for the $20k range

All the MX240/480/960 chassis based routers will be a lot more expensive once you consider RE’s, LC’s, SCBE’s, etc. Not to mention many of them are already showing their age.

• TGTTGT Member

@lorian said:
    Would an MX204 be an option?

@CConner said:
    I can definitely recommend the Juniper MX204, but Arista is definitely worth looking into (especially the v2 and v3's).

I am in contact with a supplier based out of the Netherlands who has 20x Juniper MX204's with perpetual licenses coming in over the course of next month priced at about 14k EUR each. I will be happy to bring you in to contact. Feel free to DM if you're interested.

Certainly looking at the MX204 now if I can get it in a good timeframe. I might be forced to go with something else just because of the lead time.

• TGTTGT Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    If got some spare hardware laying around can go with TNSR by Netgate.

PM me what you have.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

@TGT said:

@lorian said:
    Would an MX204 be an option?

@CConner said:

Certainly looking at the MX204 now if I can get it in a good timeframe. I might be forced to go with something else just because of the lead time.

As I mentioned, this particular supplier bought 20 of them and they will be arriving in April. If interested, send me a DM and I will be happy to get you in to contact.