Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare slow down my Websites, you still use Cloudflare?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare slow down my Websites, you still use Cloudflare?

SpecsblueSpecsblue Member
edited March 2022 in General

Hello everyone.
I would like to know if you still use Cloudflare or maybe have a better alternative.

Cloudflare slows down all my websites. I have fully optimised and cached wordpress sites and get better load times without Cloudflare even when out of country. Tested with Pingdom

The only reason I use Cloudflare is to assign the web hosting IP to prevent possible attacks.

I'm looking for alternative ways to keep the IP hidden maybe someone knows a promising way or service. Selfhosted would also be possible but I don't know if it is possible to run websites that are used with Plesk through an external reverse proxy.

Let me know what your experiences are and what I might be able to do.
Thanks to all!

Comments

• Use a VPS, with Apache reverse proxy ON, you can self-host to hide your IP. Use cloudflare for DNS, forward IP to your VP, and then forward it to origin IP. thus your origin IP will be hidden. Note: all dmca/abuse notice will go to your VPS provider.

Thanked by 2ariq01 Chuck
  • nfnnfn Veteran

Host your site on a DDoS protected host

Thanked by 1pike
  • @JasonM said:
    Use a VPS, with Apache reverse proxy ON, you can self-host to hide your IP. Use cloudflare for DNS, forward IP to your VP, and then forward it to origin IP. thus your origin IP will be hidden. Note: all dmca/abuse notice will go to your VPS provider.

yes that i would to try. you have any opinion how i can do that. is there maybe something with a web panel?

@nfn said:

It is ddos protected, that is not the point. Want to hide main IP.

• nfnnfn Veteran

@Specsblue said:

@nfn said:

It is ddos protected, that is not the point. Want to hide main IP.

Misinterpretation, accept the previous suggestion.

• fiendfiend Member

not that im a cloudflare fan and im not saying to use cloudflare, but i do use it in about half of my sites and i had the same issues as you, most of the time the slowdown is bad choices on configurations for the server or cloudflare setting and most of the perceptions of speed are local, ie it feels speedy where you live but on the rest of the world its much slower, so check your settings, most of the times is that...

regarding alternatives that "hide your ip", im guessing incapsula, imperva or building your own reverse proxy...

• It is for offloading your server.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

LowEndBox and LowEndTalk both use CloudFlare and it has been immensely helpful defending against DDOS attacks.

Some of the addon features cause some trouble with site speeds / google SEO site speed ranking -- but you can disable them if so.

Thanked by 1angelius
  • @fiend said:
    not that im a cloudflare fan and im not saying to use cloudflare, but i do use it in about half of my sites and i had the same issues as you, most of the time the slowdown is bad choices on configurations for the server or cloudflare setting and most of the perceptions of speed are local, ie it feels speedy where you live but on the rest of the world its much slower, so check your settings, most of the times is that...

regarding alternatives that "hide your ip", im guessing incapsula, imperva or building your own reverse proxy...

Yes you are right.

I would like to try my own reverse proxy but there are so many methods to do.
    Nginx Reverse Proxy, Apache reverse proxy. I saw that it is also possible to do a reverse proxy with caching.

So, I would like to know maybe the best option. I will use a DDoS protected VPS in case something happened, but I'm not predicted something like that. I want maximum speed.

Have anyone a recommendation? There are docker options too for caching, I'm really overwhelmed

• DDoS-guard.net

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Mentally strong people don't hide website IP.
    https://yoursunny.com has the server IP publicly visible.
    If you attack me, I tell Santa to put you on the naughty list.
    Disputes shall be resolved through duel at dawn.

• kdhkdh Member

I hate they make my site slower, but they still have 2 advantages:

1. Unlimited Traffic is offered even from the free plan. That's simply nice if you're just hanging around with a small service.
    2. If you're using provider that offers poor network on your region (such as using OVH for NE Asia customers), Cloudflare simply makes the website more accessible.
  • CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

i use stackpath, at the moment never had a problems

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

@Specsblue said: I would like to try my own reverse proxy but there are so many methods to do.
    Nginx Reverse Proxy, Apache reverse proxy. I saw that it is also possible to do a reverse proxy with caching.

Squid and haproxy are also options, although I personally wouldn't use Squid in a new deployment.

IMO avoid Apache and try haproxy and nginx and see what you like best. If you're using Nginx for the origin server then it can be valuable to use Nginx for the reverse proxy, given you'd already be familiar with its configuration syntax and oddities.

Why do you want to hide your IP? Depending on how sketchy your site is, a VPN with port forwarding (like AirVPN) could be useful instead.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Honestly I just don't trust many people to be able to use any more skill than "I did this, that happened, therefore this is to blame" when talking about cloudflare problems. Which, honestly, just isn't sufficient data to make an informed conclusion on something as potentially complex as dynamic web application performance.

• @yoursunny said:
    Disputes shall be resolved through duel at dawn.

What? No push ups at dawn? Lol

• @jbiloh said: Some of the addon features cause some trouble with site speeds / google SEO site speed ranking -- but you can disable them if so.

Which are those? I found most of the time the "rocket loader" which loads .js files causing trouble.

I've enabled "tiered-cache" which I'm seeing quite a good chunk of improvement in speeds. It really works great. For example: My origin server is in New York and the 1st site visitor is in Los Angeles. The page is cached at cloudflare POP in LA. Now, earlier if "tiered-cache" was OFF, the 2nd user from adjacent cloudflare POP in Las Vegas would have to request page from NY origin and cache in LV. But with tiered-cache ON all CF POPs request the main CF POP in that area (LA, or U.S. West) instead of querying my origin in NY. The result is, quick page load from nearest location, low latency, etc plus pages get cached in smaller POPs for later requests.

• @Specsblue said: is there maybe something with a web panel?

there is no such webpanel. There are lots of tutorials for Apache, mod_proxy ON and revese proxy on digitalocean or on google. Just install the modules and set it up. Take hardly 30 minutes if you are novice.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I am quite surprised, have not experienced cloudflare actually slowing down my sites, however, this could be due to how they may be getting serving me (I doubt I am in a super high traffic area with a bugged down pop)

• edited March 2022

Cloudflare always make website slower, it is basic physic. It doubles the route. Especially for dynamic websites.

Visitors -> Cloudflare -> Origin -> Cloudflare -> Visitors.

Without Cloudflare:

Visitors -> Origin -> Visistors.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @Goodtesteronline said: Cloudflare always make website slower, it is basic physic. It doubles the route. Especially for dynamic websites.

If you are using WordPress then use this plugin
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-cloudflare-page-cache/

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @Goodtesteronline said: Visitors -> Cloudflare -> Origin -> Cloudflare -> Visitors.

well that happens if you don't enable "Cache everything" or atleast the cache resources (.css, .js, .gif) in the settings. Also the s-maxage cache-control header plays an important role. IF you set it to expire after 1 year, Cloudflare will not hit your origin for every new visitor (also enable Tiere-cache here).

• edited March 2022

@JasonM said:

@Goodtesteronline said: Visitors -> Cloudflare -> Origin -> Cloudflare -> Visitors.

well that happens if you don't enable "Cache everything" or atleast the cache resources (.css, .js, .gif) in the settings. Also the s-maxage cache-control header plays an important role. IF you set it to expire after 1 year, Cloudflare will not hit your origin for every new visitor (also enable Tiere-cache here).

Yes. Cloudflare cache all is good for brochure sites. For Highly Dynamic sites, most request will need to route to origin. Also, the Backend will be slower with Cloudflare for any type of websites.

• Does anyone else have bot fight mode enabled? It loads an invisible.js file each time which increases the total blocking time quite a bit. Do you think it's worth enabling?

• fiendfiend Member

ohh ive only tried with nginx reverse proxy, it was pretty sturdy and it can offload basically everything to memory (if you have enough) so blazing fast, i basically setup 2 vps, both with nginx in reverse proxy, only for my site (so they dont go reverse proxy the internet) and i put ... i dont remember some dns provider doing load balancing, just basic no failover or anything, but that was me testing, my recommendation, its best to use cloudflare or some other company, its kinda the same with hosting, i know this is lowendtalk and i know how to run servers, but nowadays i prefer to let the professionals do the hosting, caching, dns and ill just stick to building new sites and apps...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2022

Well, I usually put only the troll sites behind cloudflare like http://blyatconnect.ru/
    But I see no point, why you would put a production site behind cloudflare.

Yes people can see the IP, but why should you give a fuck?
    Yes they can (D)DoS your website, put it on a DDoS protected IP.

I don't see an benefit here, since you also let Cloudflare read your encrypted end to end traffic, otherwise the filtering would not work.

• Cloudflare is good if you use it as CDN for static assets only with aggressive caching configured, but for dynamic pages it only adds latency so usually it worsens performance for those pages. Well, it's a proxy....

• @Dazzle said:
    DDoS-guard.net

Isn't this a Russian company?

• @risharde said:
    I am quite surprised, have not experienced cloudflare actually slowing down my sites, however, this could be due to how they may be getting serving me (I doubt I am in a super high traffic area with a bugged down pop)

If it's a static site Cloudflare definitely improves performance due to the caching. but if it's dynamic, try measuring response times with and without Cloudflare. You will see that with Cloudflare they are worse.

• @Goodtesteronline said:
    Cloudflare always make website slower, it is basic physic. It doubles the route. Especially for dynamic websites.

Visitors -> Cloudflare -> Origin -> Cloudflare -> Visitors.

Without Cloudflare:

Visitors -> Origin -> Visistors.

Are some edge cases where it can be faster for non-cached content? CloudFlare routes traffic through their private network so theoretically wouldn't there be cases this is faster than public peering/routing?

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    Are some edge cases where it can be faster for non-cached content? CloudFlare routes traffic through their private network so theoretically wouldn't there be cases this is faster than public peering/routing?

Between the PoP and your server, it'll go through the regular, normal internet. They might have better peers than your visitors, but it's only some cases.

Thanked by 1CyberneticTitan