Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you manage and monitor your VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you manage and monitor your VPS?

As my VPS count increases I've started to look for a way to monitor and manage them. Not worried about uptime montiors, I'm curious how others are:

• Tracking CPU,RAM,and Disk
  • Patching
  • Monitoring/running backups

Comments

• Hetrixtool

• Tracking CPU,RAM,and Disk: Check email if the provider warn me.
    Patching: I dont know what are you talking about. Never patch.
    Monitoring/running backups: Yolo! Seriously, data loss does happen from time to time, usually because my backup scripts fail to work... No such resource to keep tracking backup. Let it go :)

• @add_iT said:
    Hetrixtool

What about patching?

• SpinupWP for WP sites
    RunCloud for a few bigger projects
    Swizzin (Free) for Plex/media

Backblaze and Wasabi for storage/backups.

My employer pays for everything above. If that wasn't the case I would pick HestiaCP or something like Cloudways.

Thanked by 1pointgod
  • Hetrixtool and Zabbix.

Thanked by 1pointgod
  • For monitoring I'm very happy with Hetrixtools

Thanked by 1pointgod
  • @MGarbis said:
    Hetrixtool and Zabbix.

Do you use both together? Seems like Zabbix could do everything Hetrixtools does.

• @pointgod said:
    What about patching?

yum-cron / dnf-automatic set to email me has always been fine, I can see issues when they happen to resolve manually. What kind of monitoring/management are you looking for here? Feels like you need to get a lot more specific about your servers, suggestions will probably vary by OS at minimum.

Thanked by 1pointgod
  • umzakumzak Member

if you have a lot of vps, u can use Runcloud, $12.5/month for annually paid

• @pointgod said:

@MGarbis said:
    Hetrixtool and Zabbix.

Do you use both together? Seems like Zabbix could do everything Hetrixtools does.

Nope. I wanted to try Zabbix selfhosted. That's why it's monitoring one VPS.
    Hetrixtool is simple and easy setup so it's in "normal use".
    I think it's good to know how your servers are working and get alarms if they are down. Even if you are running servers for a personal use only.

• @bakageta said:
    What kind of monitoring/management are you looking for here? Feels like you need to get a lot more specific about your servers, suggestions will probably vary by OS at minimum.

That's a fair point. I'm mostly looking at Debian/Ubuntu with different selfhosted projects like n8n and owncloud. The responses I've gotten have been helpful.

• Monitoring: LibreNMS
    Patching: Ansible playbooks
    Backups: Depending on the data... Proxmox native/Borg/rclone scripts.

• Zabbix for monitoring.
    Ansible playbooks for patching.
    Borg for backups.

• nfnnfn Veteran

Monitoring: HetrixTools
    Backup: restic + rsync.net and rclone + backblaze b2
    Cluster Failover: HetrixTools Webhook + Cloudflare API

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I think HetrixTools is a main component in monitoring. Once a week, or maybe every 2 weeks I run updates.

• For personnal
    Managing: Ansible
    Monitoring: HetrixTools, NetData, healthchecks.io, some personnal script with webhooks to PushOver and Discord
    Backup: Duplicacy (with S3 backends), BorgBackup

For professionnal
    Managing: AWS CloudFormation, Terraform
    Monitoring: ELK, promstack, CloudWatch
    Backup: AWS Backup, AWS S3