Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to Yandex.ru for hosting e-mail for domain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternatives to Yandex.ru for hosting e-mail for domain

I have a couple of domains where the e-mail is hosted by Yandex.ru (and a couple using the legacy Google) and I'm looking for alternatives.

I see Zoho still offer a 'free forever' account but no longer offer IMAP/POP.

Does anyone know of any other (ideally free) service that would host e-mails for a domain name ??

Initially I want to move the ones using Yandex.ru but as the Google Legacy is also coming to an end (for free at least) I will probably move that too.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• I switched not from Yandex but from Google Workspace to Zoho. It works well and it's super cheap if you go with the paid option. I pay 0.90/mo per user for 5GB of storage.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited March 2022

To the best of my knowledge you won't get this for free outside of Zoho.

If you want to pay, find MXRoute or more realistically one of its resellers, for example https://nexusbytes.com/email-hosting

^Adding on to this, Zoho does have a paid plan I keep forgetting about that has IMAP. Check that out too.

Or any web hosting provider that advertises outbound filtering (Mailchannels/mail.baby)

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@Erisa said:
    To the best of my knowledge you won't get this for free outside of Zoho.

If you want to pay, find MXRoute or more realistically one of its resellers, for example https://nexusbytes.com/email-hosting

^Adding on to this, Zoho does have a paid plan I keep forgetting about that has IMAP. Check that out too.

Or any web hosting provider that advertises outbound filtering (Mailchannels/mail.baby)

Yeah, we use mailbaby for our hosting but I can’t advertise here. I know @WebHorizon offers mailbaby or mail channels or whatever and is dirt cheap, can vouch

Thanked by 2Erisa Abd
  • Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm quite liking the idea of MXRoute - I always through MXRoute was some sort of DNS forwarding service or the like, but it works just like Zoho / Google / Yandex in terms of e-mail hosting for domains ??

With resellers of MXRoute though (if they are cheaper), I assume as they are reselling if they went out of business the service that they are paying for (and reselling) would therefore be lost so from that aspect probably best to go direct ?

@happyman said:
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm quite liking the idea of MXRoute - I always through MXRoute was some sort of DNS forwarding service or the like, but it works just like Zoho / Google / Yandex in terms of e-mail hosting for domains ??

With resellers of MXRoute though (if they are cheaper), I assume as they are reselling if they went out of business the service that they are paying for (and reselling) would therefore be lost so from that aspect probably best to go direct ?

Resellers offer cheaper prices, but yes MXroute is pretty full featured for email. They use Directadmin for backend and they have a panel at mxlogin.com as well as imap. I bought a mxroute plan from nexusbytes (reseller) and everything works good. I don’t think they will go out of business, but if you’re worried you can buy direct (usually for higher prices). Another advantage of resellers is that they offer smaller plans (for example 1gb is enough for me, but maybe not for you). Another reseller I can recommend is webhorizon

Thanked by 1Abd
  • ErisaErisa Member

@happyman said: I'm quite liking the idea of MXRoute - I always through MXRoute was some sort of DNS forwarding service or the like, but it works just like Zoho / Google / Yandex in terms of e-mail hosting for domains ??

There is a service called ImprovMX which handles the forwarding of emails and not much else, maybe you were thinking about that?

Your assessment of MXRoute is correct, it is a full email/productivity suite. It is built on open-source software unlike the big names but tries its best to deliver on quality regardless.

@happyman said: With resellers of MXRoute though (if they are cheaper), I assume as they are reselling if they went out of business the service that they are paying for (and reselling) would therefore be lost so from that aspect probably best to go direct ?

The resellers are cheaper because they buy accounts in bulk and draw in business by reselling. The direct prices are only ever cheaper during rare sales and I don't think @jar wants to do too many of those again so I wouldn't hold out hope for one.

As for what happens if the reseller goes out of business, I honestly don't know, sorry. Maybe MXRoute will absorb the customers or maybe you just end up out of luck. Maybe someone else could clarify.

Thanked by 1jar
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Try https://emailprofi.cz . You will need to learn some Czech or use Google Translate, as even the webmail is in Czech, but it’s free.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Erisa said: As for what happens if the reseller goes out of business, I honestly don't know, sorry. Maybe MXRoute will absorb the customers or maybe you just end up out of luck. Maybe someone else could clarify.

Unless an agreement was reached the default would be that they would close out the accounts and customers would have no direct path into being a direct customer. It sounds harsh but I really want to set up my resellers for success, I want them to be able to compete with me and for customers to not be able to easily float between a direct relationship and that of a reseller.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

If you're a single person operating / looking to use it with personal sites, go with mxroute or us (we resell mxroute) , there is no limit on number of domains. Emails are delivered perfectly. you also get many client interfaces (Rainloop, Horde, nextcloud etc. ) but all of them needs to be accessed at different url's & managed by you.

If you have a 'team of people' it will be easier to go with Zoho mail only plan , you can mix & match different plans for per user, Mail Lite is just around $10 a year I guess. the interface is self explanatory where you'd not have to spend time making them understand how it works. Also can upgrade to fully featured suite in future (with email archive, collaboration tools, drive etc.) if needed.

• Thanks for all of the suggestions. It is just for individual domains that I have myself rather than for other people. As long as they are accessible via the likes of Outlook, mobile devices rather than just web based that should be fine.

I'll have a look at the suggestions and see which would work best.

Thanks

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited March 2022

If you're interested in e-mail services only, Migadu (www.migadu.com) is feature-rich (multiple domains, domain aliases, wildcard sending, slick webmail etc. etc.), it's hosted in beautiful Switzerlandia, and not expensive (~19€/yr for the basic plan). They offer 15-day evaluation, no payment info required.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Shot2 said: it's hosted in beautiful Switzerlandia

Not true, it is hosted in mediocre OVH.

• @bruh21 said:
    MXroute is pretty full featured for email.

What special features does it offer for email? MXRoute is just email though, has limits with calendars and contacts. That's why I went with Zoho. Similar prices but many more features.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Shot2 said: and not expensive (~19€/yr for the basic plan).

At most 20 emails out per day

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@Nyr said:

@Shot2 said: it's hosted in beautiful Switzerlandia

Not true, it is hosted in mediocre OVH.

In beautiful Baguetteland then.

• elliotcelliotc Member
    edited March 2022

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

What special features does it offer for email? MXRoute is just email though, has limits with calendars and contacts. That's why I went with Zoho. Similar prices but many more features.

more user account and more domain limit. Also, a panel easy to find information is important too. If mxroute fucks up some day, I am easier to familiar with new provider.

• I've actually got a reseller account with Racknerd. Even though the domains aren't hosted there I'm wondering if I could actually somehow use that for purely the email hosting - Does anyone have any ideas ?

• @vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

There's a Nextcloud included.

• ChefJoeChefJoe Member
    edited March 2022

I bought a shared hosting account from racknerd and have a few months of using it for email usage. Seems fine and haven't noticed any adverse filtering. The only concern I have about RN is that they use a hybrid mail.baby/mailchannels on outbound where RN determines if your outbound emails are going out directly or via mail.baby relays (presumably based on a list of destination domains they maintain and you can raise tickets to add/remove things from). A part of me wishes that we could just opt in to 100% mail.baby if our account send volume is low enough.

Hosting your website separate from email is certainly possible...

@happyman said:
    I've actually got a reseller account with Racknerd. Even though the domains aren't hosted there I'm wondering if I could actually somehow use that for purely the email hosting - Does anyone have any ideas ?

Set your mx and spf records to theirs

• @bruh21 said:

@happyman said:
    I've actually got a reseller account with Racknerd. Even though the domains aren't hosted there I'm wondering if I could actually somehow use that for purely the email hosting - Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks, and just create a regular cpanel account for that domain name ?

• @happyman said:

I would not do it as all my services with RackNerd has blacklisted IPs..

• @Wicked said:

@happyman said:

Ouch. FWIW, my RackNerd IP comes back as clean on mxtoolbox.com blacklist check. Google does suggest the IP had some Malwarebytes risky classification in January, though.

@Wicked said:

@happyman said:

It’s reseller and they have mailbaby or mail channels or something like that

@happyman said:

@bruh21 said:

@happyman said:

Thanks, and just create a regular cpanel account for that domain name ?

Yes, set the A record for mail.yourdomain.com, the Mx record for your domain, then the spf txt record. These should all be in the cpanel dns thing so you can copy paste to your own dns manager

• ChuckChuck Member

use cpanel for email hosting is asking for trouble.
    See how quick your IP get blacklisted / your account get banned.