Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPNs that work for Russians
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPNs that work for Russians

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

A question popped up elsewhere and I had no clue: which VPN services are best for Russians inside Russia who want to access the general Internet without censorship?

Thanked by 1sebkehl

Comments

• SlickVPN working same as others. Avira VPN working.

There no such a problem with VPN connections.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2022

Most work so far. Here are some that were listed as "blocked" in the news at some point:

• VyprVPN
    • Opera VPN
    • Hola! VPN
    • ExpressVPN
    • KeepSolid VPN Unlimited
    • Nord VPN
    • Speedify VPN
    • IPVanish VPN
    • ProtonVPN
    • Betternet
    • Lantern
    • X-VPN
    • Cloudflare WARP
    • Tachyon VPN
    • PrivateTunnel

I am not sure how rigorous or efficient that "blocking" is.

For the rest, paying for them became difficult to impossible, now that PayPal, VISA and MasterCard no longer work. The general public does not use crypto currency. So it has to accept Union Pay, Mir, or something like YooMoney or QIWI. But Union Pay aside, with the latter three I am not sure how one could accept a Russian payment method and still be able to provide an uncensored and untracked VPN.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rm_ said: I am not sure how rigorous or efficient that "blocking" is.

If Russia will disconnect from external Internet, then none would work. It might take some time, though, I think at least one month.

• appvappv Member
    edited March 2022

actually today the best one is that may be paid for. this is the main problem.

• @Maounique said: If Russia will disconnect from external Internet

You still not wake up?

• @rm_ said: The general public does not use crypto currency.

They will find a way to use it. And more provider will accept crypto.

• https://cp.inferno.name/cart.php?gid=56

Inferno provide VPN with 18 locations for $5 per month Payments from Russian sources available.

• fanfan Veteran

If Russia really need tough censorship against its people, it may try to get the advanced DPI infrastructure from China, things will get pretty nasty then.

• @jenkki said: Inferno provide VPN with 18 locations for $5 per month Payments from Russian sources available.

$5 per one location.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

What are the payment methods that are still easy/practical to use in Russia given the recent restrictions?

edited March 2022

@fan said: it may try to get the advanced DPI infrastructure

I doubt they will employ any such soft measures. Perhaps in the longer term, I think they might use a stop gap measure like policy DROP then starting allowing piecemeal, eventually introducing DPI.
    At this time they have to stop people from getting any glimpse at this clusterfuck. Sure, old people will still watch the TV, but even them have to eat and they have younger family members, the disinformation war must be a win at least at home, Oligarchy's survival depends on it, we are long past the time when only their yachts and mansions in the west were at stake.

• With this topic, you simply form a ready-made list for Roskomnadzor. Thank you for this from Russia users.

• @Azenot said: $5 per one location.

May be. I do not tried them. Seen their advertising about 18 locations. Guess $5 for all locations.

May set own VPN for that money. Even cheaper.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@jbiloh said: What are the payment methods that are still easy/practical to use in Russia given the recent restrictions?

Union Pay is the most promising one. Most banks scramble to begin issuing UP cards as soon as possible, some have already started. It is what "everyone" will have for traveling or for paying for stuff abroad.

Even more widely used locally will be Mir, but I am not sure how easy it is for a foreign company to start accepting that, probably more complex than Union Pay (or could be impossible as of now).

• Someone could make some serious money creating a shorthaul to Russia from Google's data center in Finland
    https://www.google.com/about/datacenters/locations/hamina/

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@VayVayKa said: With this topic, you simply form a ready-made list for Roskomnadzor. Thank you for this from Russia users.

I appreciate the sentiment but I can't believe that anything will be revealed here that the Russian government doesn't know.

Thanked by 2Maounique fan
  • @VayVayKa said:
    With this topic, you simply form a ready-made list for Roskomnadzor. Thank you for this from Russia users.

It's like asking "which VPN still works for netflix?". The listed VPN usually wouldn't work for long after they're listed.

edited March 2022

@jenkki said: You still not wake up?

I am not Russian, I have the freedom not to believe denials such as "we won't invade", "we won't disconnect".

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

Mullvad is great, they accept a lot of payment methods and even have a Tor site. They rarely do deals, so it might not be the best bang for your buck, but they're focused on privacy.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Self hosted OpenVPN and WireGuard also work.

Only a few specific commercial providers are blocked, not the protocols.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • 4everproxy was offering free openvpn with no account required till the end of march i think, no idea on quality but heres the page https://my.4everproxy.com/page/freevpn/

• Selfhosted V2Ray using Cloudflare to make the connection. This can never be blocked unless they seperate from internet.

Thanked by 2Maounique AXYZE
  • In new Russia, Russians work for VPN.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

If any legit Russians need VPN access, I'll hook you up ( free of charge ) with a single exit point in Kyiv, Ukraine.

It'll just be an OpenVPN configuration file that you'll receive, but it'll work on your desktop / phone. No logging, no BS.

It's not going to have all the features that our VPN service will have that we're working on, but it's free and just a way of making sure you have access to the outside world.

There will always be Tor and bridges... If they block it, then would likely block other services too.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @Maounique said:
    There will always be Tor and bridges... If they block it, then would likely block other services too.

Tor is heavily blocked in Russia including bridges afaik. I'm willing to provide private bridges for active LET members just write me a PM.

• @MannDude said:
    If any legit Russians need VPN access, I'll hook you up ( free of charge ) with a single exit point in Kyiv, Ukraine.

It'll just be an OpenVPN configuration file that you'll receive, but it'll work on your desktop / phone. No logging, no BS.

It's not going to have all the features that our VPN service will have that we're working on, but it's free and just a way of making sure you have access to the outside world.

these days, all freedom-loving people are russians. how will you distinguish good from bad russians? @MannDude

• VayVayKaVayVayKa Member
    edited March 2022

@Maounique said:

Bridges are not blocked by DPI. Lists are compiled manually, there are enough human resources for this.
    My bridge lived for a week after it was created, I didn't try to do it anymore, because it leads to a permanent ban of the IP address.

@Nyr said: Self hosted OpenVPN and WireGuard also work.

For now, this is the ideal solution. If it is used by a limited circle of people (not publicly). Of course, it cannot be called mass-produced. Few of my colleagues (technicians) have heard about LET. Even fewer know that a VPS can cost $10 in year. That they can pay for it with crypto. Where can they get crypto for these purposes. Linux is also not easy for them.

• @hyperblast said:
    these days, all freedom-loving people are russians. how will you distinguish good from bad russians? @MannDude

do you know, how attacking russia

• Proton VPN can be used for free but won't be fast